hover corte...ladies, what are you thinking ?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, May 1, 2012.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

so...mine is okay...and I know alot about how it ought to be better...anyone want to share what runs through their mind as the do one?
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Probably "follow what the leader does," "more shape," "stay balanced," and "don't over-rotate".
  3. fascination

yes, thx...am wondering also more concretely about foot placement, and tips for the shape and not over rotating
  4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I find regardless what I'm doing, it works best when what I'm thinking is "nothing." The more I think, the more problems I cause....
  5. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

I'm thinking what's a hover corte? :) So I YouTube it and it looks like what I am doing in my waltz routine at my comp on Sunday. It's such a beautiful step IMO - if I get it right! I would NEVER feel in a position to offer you my opinion on technique Fasc but I think it's the most subtle step I do at my level and the one where I feel most 'at one' with my lead and feel I MUST really feel what my lead is doing to be any good at it. It's also the step where I feel most 'within' the dance and the music - my teacher lengthens the time over which we do it which makes me focus on how, precisely, I'm doing it. Love it! :)
  6. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Yes, DOI - that's it, I FEEL rather than think it.
  7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

<dusts hands> we're done, here
  8. fascination

yea...got that...and it isn't a crappy one....but..well...anyhow.....
  9. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Some thoughts that have gone through my head at one point in time or another in working on the hover corte...

Dance the entrance to the step through the man, rather than trying to go around him. Sometimes it also has helped to think of dancing "under" him to enter it.

Make sure to first get balanced over the feet, then rotate, then shape. Do not try to do any 2 of these at the same time, and do not try to do them out of order.

Make sure to stay on the man's right. The rotation can make it tempting to cross over the midline of his body.

Try to "pick the man up" the create the shape, rather than leaning back or pulling away from him.

Try to "give the man my hands" while shaping.
  10. fascination

ah ...bless you...this is the sort of thing I am looking for...xoxoxo
  11. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

Yes, just wanted to emphasize this, because as the man, these are the pieces I try to think of when I'm leading it. First, get her over her feet, and the feet together, then make sure her back is rotated to the alignment I want, finally provide support for the shaping. If the lady is thinking of the same things, then I think we're in good shape. The first two actually have to happen relatively quickly for us to be able to milk the third part, though there is more time obviously if you take an extra measure.
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Like I said, follow what the leader does. If he overrotates, overshapes, or overbalances, you have no chance anyway.

Re: foot placement, AFAIAC it should be the same as closed position, which is to say if your feet are too close, you will become back weighted when you put in the shape.
  13. fascination

well..he is not going to screw it up :)...so that isn't a concern...as to the feet, my understanding is that they need to be together at the end before stepping out...not sure what too close together would be...will ponder
  14. skwiggy

Yes, the ladies feet are supposed to be closed.

When Joe refers to the feet being too close, he means the lady's feet being too close to the man's. If your feet are too close to your partner's, then the only way you will have any room to shape is back(weighted).
  15. fascination

gotcha...may need to look at that
  16. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

The Hover Corte is about momentum management---for the lady.

IME A lot of men try to manhandle this figure too much, not realizing that the work (and beauty of the figure) depends largely on the Lady's deft touch.

Remember that this figure is a lady's showcase.

First, the lady needs to think of generating massive momentum from the previous movement--which then needs to be dissipated as the hover itself is approached.

Second, as you perform the hover, there are 2 important things to remember at this juncture: 1) make sure the right foot is landed well-balanced and at a proper distance from the man's, and points (reasonably) to where you will begin moving towards after the hover; and 2) right as you enter the hover (in order to arrest the speed) "leave your nose behind".

Last, as you exit the hover (depending on what figure follows of course), typically you will want a commanding step, and not a teeny-weeny one to initiate momentum.

Think of this as a rolling wave of water---as water spills down, it rushes towards the bottom, and as it rises, it crests gently.

m

ps... and oh, your balance is depended on where you land your foot relative to your partner's. Land too far, and you're pulling him forward; land too near and you rob him of his balance.
  17. skwiggy

On the nose, and lovely, as always. :)