Tango Argentino > How about your self-initiative?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by opendoor, Jan 20, 2017.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Tango is said to be a social dance. Unfortunately too often we rely on the professional scene, on teachers, and studio owners, that organize milongas, balls, and encuentros.

Is there also a self-organized scene around? Have you offered any kind of event?

2. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I've thought about it from time to time, but there's so much going on here that i don't bother.

opendoor likes this.
  3. jantango

jantango Active Member

All it takes is a person with interest, time, organizational skills, and creative energy to get something going. It's easier now than 20 years ago with tango in so many cities around the world. Dancers will go long distances for tango events.

In 1995 I organized a tango congress at Northwestern University with no money and no internet or email. It was a successful week of tango with teachers from Buenos Aires.

If I did it, anyone with the desire can do it.

opendoor likes this.
  4. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Yes, I have taught classes locally and out of town, and collaborated in organizing milongas and practicas.
    Very few people who teach and organize tango events locally are full time tango professionals. Even fewer of them own a studio.

Mladenac and opendoor like this.
  5. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

I once created a two-hour playlist, with cortinas and all. It was sorted by file name. When the DJ downloaded my USB on his IPhone, the list got completely messed up, with all the cortinas together. He spent more time re-putting all in order than it would have taken him to create a playlist from scratch.

Tango Distance and opendoor like this.
  6. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I'm not clear what, some DJ not knowing how to import a playlist properly, has to do with the thread topic.

[​IMG]

opendoor likes this.
  7. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

newbie says that he didn't organise but did try to contribute, and that it didn't go too well.

8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Aficionados and honoraries normally master those various settings and vast control options of iTunes. Professional DJays usually do not. :vamp:

dchester likes this.
  9. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

My city has a non-profit tango organization that I'm a part of. We put on milongas, organize workshop weekends, and offer classes taught by a rotating schedule of local instructors. None of us make a living from it (not that there's anything wrong with that). Any money we earn from tango personally goes into an account that we can spend on our own tango improvement, improving the community by improving ourselves. It's a pretty nice set up :)

dchester, opendoor and raindance like this.