Ballroom Dance > how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Coaching went really well. Surprisingly, now to get my stamina back.

2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Hey Purr, I know what you mean about WCS, pro in my lesson wanted to mix it up and do some WCS, I didn't share or I forgot to share that WCS was my original learning format and I still dance it and attend their scheduled events, and as soon as he rolled me out I stopped and said no let's not. Letting him know (although it's really not his fault) that he is doing ballroom WCS and it simply is not how I dance it in the WCS community. So, that day, he learned something from me....and then we continued with American smooth instead. Lol.

j_alexandra, RiseNFall and Purr like this.
  3. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

The WCS community is big here, and there's a lot of events. I just don't feel comfortable going to any of them.

We'll see where the lessons with pro go. Maybe coaching would help, or lessons with a WCS teacher. Group classes generally aren't that helpful, at least for me.

Or maybe I'd rather do AT.

4. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Amazing how the financial situation changes isn't it? I took a break (privates & competition) a year ago and I am not sure if/when I will go back. I enjoy so many other things right now. Yes, I felt a true loss at times, and still do, but I just can't justify the expense and time right now. Who knows what the future will bring.

5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Hmm. I learned WCS in the studio, but I've been out to WCS clubs and I never got accused of being "ballroomy". (On the other hand, our coach has accused my WCS of being "clubby"... :eek:) Sounds like the WCS scene where you are is rather insular. I don't think I would give a lot of dances to someone who feels like they can criticize my dancing just because I'm not in their clique.

Sania likes this.
  6. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Cornutt, there's a Ballroom version of WCS that is so far from what the WCS community dances that it's just not compatible--the WCS community CAN be snobby, but that isn't necessarily what happened with Purr. I'm fortunate in that the ballroom teachers at the studio I dance at are ambidextrous with their WCS.

3wishes and j_alexandra like this.
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Second lesson for retooling of WCS...pro reworked the basic...practices some figures...and danced to tempo...pro seemed pleased...I think his idea of the retooled basic is a little pedestrian...but I'm willing to go along with it...at the end of this I'm probably going to add my own thing anyway...an example, he says no tap step for now...high likelihood a few tap steps will sneak their way in eventually; it's hard to break old habits...I was also taught a compression step years ago that might sneak it's way in...pro is also working to ensure there's a definite hook in the connection...haven't really observed this with follows in the WCS community...but what do I know???

Also did AT...pro says I'm over rotating my ochos. :eek: :(:oops:

8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

That pretty much sums it up.

9. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

My samba needs work. I sometimes accent the wrong beats, don't use my ribcage enough, and have a tendency to not straighten my legs all the way. Much conversation about where to place my body weight and how to create the time for me to straighten my long legs... upper (action) and lower (balance) centres was the idea that made it click. I like to use one or the other apparently, and am seriously bad at employing both to complete a movement... which is why it often looks like I don't finish or am blocking myself. I now understand the concept, but am only able to apply it ~20% of the time at speed. I sense much repetition in my future.

In standard, it's been rounds. Comp is in less than 2 weeks. They're going not terribly, given the stage of prep we're in. Still burning a little too much energy in VW, making the 5 feel harder than it needs to, and have a tendency to straighten my legs at a couple points in TG and QS... but these things feel fixable.

10. New samba routine - I love the look and feel of it but it seems so hard! I swear there are only 2 steps in the entire routine that I've done before. It looks like lots of practice in my future.

3wishes likes this.
  11. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

finally a satisfying lesson after a couple weeks of frustrating ones. smooth went well last night. routines and rounds for the next few weeks before comp, to get all the new info settled in my body.

Purr likes this.
  12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Heavy sigh...apparently in one dance my steps need to be a lot smaller...conversely, in another dance they need to be bigger...seriously...

13. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

lessons are moving back to being more satisfying and less frustrating. which is really nice.

cornutt, j_alexandra, Sania and 2 others like this.
  14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lesson yesterday on WCS...theme of the lesson seemed to be picking apart every single detail...don't think we got more than 3 measures of anything before a correction...most of the time it was 1 measure...after awhile I suggested maybe we should move to AT for the remainder of the lesson...and yet more detail picking...next week I am going to suggest putting on music and just trying out what I've learned/not learned...

Studio is hosting WCS event in a couple of weeks...looks like a fun event...was actually considering going for small part of it...like the beginner group class... but after yesterday's lesson my confidence took a nose dive...told pro I don't want to go now because I'll just look foolish...I haven't come far enough yet to go...you can't break down a dance and put it back together without a lot of setbacks...

IndyLady likes this.
  15. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

True dat!

Purr likes this.
  16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

It was just a messy lesson...pro seems to have high expectations of what I can do...and he was highly outspoken when I didn't get it exactly right...after having reworked the right and left side passes, he wanted to add something where the follow signals an apparent hijack to something spontaneous (pro used example of body ripple)...told pro 1) I can barely get through exactly what you want with pass; 2) I can't figure out how/where to add the hijack signal; 3) even if I managed #1 and #2, I'm not that quick to figure out what exactly to hijack too and by the time I figured it out the moment would be over; and 4) more or less, this is akin to patting your head and doing belly circles at the same time. Maybe with time I can put #1 and #2 together. No idea with #3, there's a good possibility I'll end up doing ochos or some other move that doesn't make sense with WCS.

17. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Take a workshop on this. Build a repertoire. This is the hardest part of wcs imo

Purr likes this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

Most common hijack signal is for you to put your free arm onto the leaders leading arm the do your thing

Purr likes this.
  19. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Both good suggestions. And that's the hijack signal I was shown. At this point, I'm a little mystified why I would want to hijack the dance - to do what, exactly??? Ronde and swivels? Some kind of ripple? A sit pose?

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  20. Mr 4 styles

Depends where. Usually on 3 and 4 of a side pass or doing an extended anchor variation