Ballroom Dance > how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Turns out I've been doing the cuban motion all wrong. Dancing is so counter-intuitive. What you see and what you're actually doing are two different things.

FancyFeet likes this.
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

You've just had the realization that will start you on the path to significantly improving your dancing. Congrats!

scullystwin42, Sania and j_alexandra like this.
  3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

RiseNFall likes this.
  4. I'm doing line dancing routine and I saw a video of myself rehearsing. I don't like the way my body looks. The more I watch myself dance, the more I wonder why I'm doing this. Why can't I have the great body types like the instructors at my dance school?

Even though I'm in the best shape of my life and I'm the healthiest I've ever been.

5. Ampelette

Ampelette New Member

Had a frustrating session today with my partner, we weren’t happy with our results at our last comp and so have been trying to fix the issues we saw and there were some improvements but we also ended up getting short and annoyed with each other. Called the practise off earlier than normal so that we would still be friends!

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Waiting for blisters to finish healing from Hollywood Dancesport and for top of toe nail to stop throbbing (almost finished), by that time Pro will be at OSB, so a break of sorts. Then Dec it’s off to Austin for the entire month!

scullystwin42 likes this.
  7. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

first rhythm lesson in a while due to the smooth-only comp last week and vacation. worked the kinks out of a couple of spots in bolero and cha cha. since rhythm pro was able to watch most of my smooth heats, he had some good feedback on the competition and things i need to work on in both styles. 1. turn quality 2. partially broken lines in checks 3. more contrast! I've added a lot more contrast over the last year, but need to add more. Looking back on the year, my best comp in rhythm was the one with the most/highest level of competition for me - WI state. I've heard it said you get better when you compete against the best -so I wish I could do more of those comps, but not enough people from my studio go to make it financially feasible. post-comp smooth lesson tonight!

RiseNFall likes this.
  8. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

good post-comp smooth lessons. working on even more movement and shaping through the upper body. rhythm double lesson last night was very interesting. reviewing concepts that we have reviewed before, but they made more sense this time. working on pushing through the floor to control movement, and how you focus on pushing the floor away with the standing leg, instead of focusing on the landing leg. if that makes sense lol.

Purr and RiseNFall like this.
  9. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Nice lessons this week with New Guy (who has now been there for a couple of years, so I need to think of some other way of referring to him). I felt like I was on semi-vacation as I competed last weekend but Pro wasn't there for typical post-comp lessons. We did work on a couple of things that were a little rough, or at least uneven, during the competition. He also taught me a new Foxtrot figure and reviewed some VW and W that I had been working on but dropped before the comp--they clearly weren't going to be ready. And we started working on some rhythm dances for the next team match. I spent a lot of time marveling at how comparatively good and consistent my dancing was. :hilarious: And being pleased that when he wanted something improved, for the most part I was able to deliver. I'll enjoy this for another week before tackling the next set of Difficult Improvements.

Purr likes this.
  10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

At lessons this week: Pro's pushing me to make decisions about shows in December and competitions next year... and I'm trying to tell him that I'm seriously struggling with motivation. Pro's all "a whole group is going and it will be fun"... and I'm saying "being one of a huge group is the opposite of what I find motivating".

Felt like we were having two separate conversations. I've been leaving him out of everything going on in my head over the last couple of months as he's been going through some heavy personal stuff, but I see now that was maybe a mistake... because we're in completely different places at the moment.

scullystwin42 and IndyLady like this.
  11. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I hear you on this one, I'm the same way... why do people on the other side of this fence not understand that.

3wishes, FancyFeet and scullystwin42 like this.