Ballroom Dance > How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

not much practice since comp two weekends ago - family things taking up a lot of time. lessons wed-fri, so hoping to get back at it this weekend. I need it!

2. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

All new routines for Latin - and going much better than expected. We got a comment that we were going a bit too "full boil" at times with some of our routines, especially cha cha. I'm kind of relieved because now I can breathe in them!

Sania likes this.
  3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Me: *shows up for practice yesterday, starts warming up*
    Pro: Hi! How was practice on the weekend? (I like to practice early, so pro often doesn't see it happen... but he's aware of its existence.)
    Me: It wasn't. I was sick... slept a lot, and did a lot of the video work you asked me to do.
    Pro: Oh. Well, that's okay. We'll work really hard tomorrow.
    Me: What? Why? Is that my punishment for getting a cold and taking a couple of days off?
    Pro: *laughs* No. But I have ideas. You'll see. *leaves*

Moderately fearful for my lesson this evening...

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Ruh roh... "ideas"...

cornutt likes this.
  5. FancyFeet

Dude always has ideas. That's why I pay him.

(But turns out it wasn't so bad. I was even giving the option of not working QS if I wasn't feeling up to it.)

6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Not work on QS? That's just wrong, on so many levels... ;)

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  7. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I've gotten to practice in a nice, warm therapy pool twice this week. Love it.

raindance likes this.
  8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Put on pure mood CD's and did some yoga at home yesterday...wandered into doing some slow dance movements and rhythm isolation movements...by accident latched onto a shifting movement to add more volume and interest in slower dances like rumba and bolero...I could do the movement on its own before, but it was difficult pairing it with something else...seemed to come together...hope I can lather, rinse and repeat...have noticed that yoga has increased my flexibility...and my sciatic nerve problems have calmed down considerably

Mr 4 styles, Sania and raindance like this.
  9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Was able to successfully later, rinse and repeat last night practicing at home in front of a mirror...looking forward to trying it out on the dance floor...

...unrelated, but also did some yoga again last night...felt tree, boat and plow poses calling...not sure why, but I always seem to want to be a tree...balance improving in slow increments...can stay in warrior II a long time...will start working on warrior III

RiseNFall likes this.
  10. scullystwin42

finally got some decent practice in this weekend, woohoo! still adjusting to my kids' new activity schedules, which has been making it hard to find the time. lots of lessons this week, and then another empty weekend with time to practice YAY.

11. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

Finally started getting back into some kind of practicing routine. Feels good.

Videotaped myself doing the basic today for salsa.

Man my basic sucks. My feet roll out (a lot) - which I've known for some time but of course keeps getting put down on the bottom of the priority list. Looks really ugly though. And my back step...no hip action at all. arrggh.

12. scullystwin42

excited that i did actually practice this weekend, woohoo! it was good, and i practiced again last night. glad to be getting back onto regular practices.

13. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Tried a little Br Smooth with a newb just for the heck of it. She said she's not danced before, but there was something that seemed to indicate otherwise IMO.

14. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

It's possible. There's this woman who showed up in the local dance scene a couple of years ago. The first night I asked where she had danced before because she was following me so well. She insisted that she hadn't. I came to believe her because in the following weeks her dancing got steadily worse as she danced with the run-of-the-mill social leaders and picked up their bad habits instead of mine.

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

crs......that is all

j_alexandra likes this.
  16. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Cha Cha, Rumba, Swing? :rofl:

raindance and j_alexandra like this.
  17. FancyFeet

4-day weekend meant much practice (interspersed with bathroom renos, because you need to do something while you wait for paint and caulk to dry - so why not practice?).

Themes:
    - Doing one thing at a time. Finish moving, collect, then pivot.
    - When to recover to neutral... then actually recovering to neutral.
    - Solidifying that basic position tweak we found last week and staying neutral with my shoulders (aka - making OP and PP 'smaller')

It was a back-to-basic-principles weekend.

18. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

Really great, actually.

I don't know what's gotten into me, I've been feeling super motivated the last couple of weeks and have been practicing almost every day. Sometimes for just a few repetitions of something, but still.

Hopefully I'm out of the slump I was in.

19. scullystwin42

Long and tiring, but glad i had time to get in some practice this weekend!

20. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Hour and a half of Latin today followed by hour and a half of smooth with my pros Rinse and repeat Wednesday. And two hour practice with the mrs tomorrow. Nice to have a week off without travel. Comp in two and a half weeks. I will still workout andtrail run too just.........coz:D:D:D:cool: