Ballroom Dance > How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

My new dance partner figured out how to give me nerve pinches inadvertently. I don't like it. I've never had a dance partner that could make my whole arm numb. I know a lot of it is coming from giving him exaggerative body weight to help with our connection.

In spite of the pain, our dances are starting to actually feel great. We'll see today after our coaching if the feeling great relates to looking great. :oops:

2. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

I just noticed a few people "liked" my post it was really really cool to see that.

Thanks for the encouragement! I felt supported. :)

I'm about to put my shoes on right now and do a few runs.

cornutt likes this.
  3. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

got a little practice in, not as much as i wanted. but my body feels like lead from workouts, so lesson tonight should be REAL FUN. hopefully my pro is as tired from his workout as well.

RiseNFall likes this.
  4. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I take lesson days into now consideration when I plan when I'm going to do what exercises.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  5. scullystwin42

practice over the weekend was short, and this week has been drills and silly fun stuff to think about for a possible showcase. nothing last night because i was exhausted (bad me) and had a stupid early meeting today. lesson tonight in smooth!

6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Alternate-alternate am partner and I continue working on the toy tango that we are choreographing ourselves. We did it to music for the first time this week, and, once we made a few timing adjustments, actually got it danced up to near the end of the song, where there is a brief rumba interval. And the choreo mostly works musically too; we hit lines and things in the right places. We changed nearly all of the rumba bit this week. I think my partner got a bit frustrated with me there because sometimes it takes me a while to memorize choreo, but by the end of the hour, I mostly had it. The transitions in and out of the rumba interval still need work, but for the most part, the routine is there. Now I need to edit the song to make the beginning and end work the way we want. We talked about costuming a bit, but no decisions yet.

7. scullystwin42

Have had to drag myself to practice recently, not been interested in doing the extra work needed. i know i am a little frustrated with what feels like lack of progress, even though i know rationally it's not true. Disappointed that i can't do ohio this year. itching to compete sooner rather than later. having trouble letting go of a poor performance that really wasn't that bad but still irritated me. Outside life stress is definitely playing a part.

But I did practice both smooth and rhythm over the weekend! one piece in mambo is finally getting more solid, and getting better at the right feeling of movement in smooth. I think i need to shake up my schedule or my dancing, do something new to refresh myself.

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

So alternate-alternate am partner and I danced the toy tango in the showcase last weekend, and it was a lot of fun. Went over it Monday and talked about a couple of "dead spots" that we're going to dress up more. She also does figure skating and she wants to throw in a couple of skating things... :eek: Alternate am partner and I decided to scratch the VW we planned to do. It wasn't ready for prime time; we had tried to come up with a shortened version, but it's a routine that we're going in memory of someone, and so the first time we do it, we want to do it right.

RiseNFall likes this.