Salsa > How can I dance like this

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by pielcanela, Nov 29, 2005.

1. pielcanela

pielcanela New Member

I have seen a few dancers who dance this smooth/soft style and I love it,
    is this a representation of NY style ?

how can i dance this way, is it in the feet ? body ? in general what can I do to dance in this way?, I love the low key but impressive flow of the body with the music.

-Any other clips that you may know of people dancing this way ?
    -Would you know of instructors that focus in this style, Jareau, the dancer in the video does not give classes [​IMG]

(video of jareau, dancing)

http://jlen.com/jareau_magna.wmv

thank you

2. africana

africana New Member

start learning to dance on2

imambo.tv is the site where Jareau posts his clips, so you could find other dancers (like Shaka) in videos there.
    Also mamboston2.com => take a look at the video clip list thread

3. africana

africana New Member

oh yeah milton Cobo is just as smooth :)

4. shdni

shdni New Member

Damn right,Milton Cobo is as smooth as butter,I am a big fan of him,I collected some of his video clips here:

http://www.putfile.com/shdni

Have u ever heard that:
    "Dancing "On 1" is dancing "TO" the music. Dancing "On 2" is dancing "IN" the music.

5. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Not sure of that. Dancing "in" the music comes from within, it isn't something imposed on you from without.

Whatever your chosen dance style, you'll dance "in" the music if the music is in your heart and soul. Some of the best dancers I've ever known could dance "in" music that they heard only in their heads.

And whether their chosen dance was "on 1" or "on 2" or was salsa or ballroom or flamenco or whatever, really didn't matter at all.

Rosa :)

6. BugBear

BugBear New Member

WOW! This guy is really really good. But even if you find someone to teach you this style, that's not a guarantee that you will be able to dance like that.
    And I wonder when he started dancing?

//Also - how much of that dance is actually him improvising and how much is moves he's been taught?

7. africana

africana New Member

Yeah I've heard this expression, and I would say it's much more than merely dancing "in" the music - I definitely know that I utilize more of the percussive accents/syncopations when I dance ET on2 than when I dance on1, particularly to NY salsa (salsa dura, classic mambo..) tracks with strong bass, and unmistakable tumbao rhythmic pattern
    It's just a fact of how the steps and movement match the music

However, I can't say that is the case for all on2 dancers. some are simply stepping to counts with nothing else reflecting the music components, so they don't look that much different from dancing on1

I think most on1 dancers who convert to ET2 and have a feel for the music can vouch for the difference :cool:

8. africana

africana New Member

on second viewing of the video...I think you could create an on1 version of this style because he seems a little offbeat at certain points in the video, but it wouldn't be quite the same without the pause between 3 and 5 (or 7 and 1) when the smooth transitions occur

9. itorres

itorres New Member

Have heard it, but it actually refers to Power On2 where you step 2-3-4, 6-7-8 like in the old Cuban Son dancing and the classic Mambo (Palladium/Power 2/En Clave). The main point of this style and what prompts that statement is that you do not take a step on the 1 or 5, not the fact that you break (meaning changing direction) on the 2.

ET On2 style is a hybrid of On1 and On2 in which the change of direction (or break) is On2 like Palladium Mambo/ Power2 but the timing of the steps is 1-2-3,5-6-7 like On1.

ET2 NY dancers, please do not be offended. :) I'm not saying anything bad about the style. Just saying where the comment "Dancing "On 1" is dancing "TO" the music. Dancing "On 2" is dancing "IN" the music." comes from.

10. alemana

alemana New Member

the good elements of j's dancing and leading in that clip have, fortunately for you, very little to do with what beat he's breaking on.

1. he leads and moves from the center of his body. he doesn't lead only with his arms.
    2. he keeps stepping even when he's leading the follow to do something that draws attention to her... in other words, he keeps dancing, he doesn't stand still. that is a major contributor to the perception of "smoothness" and one of the key challenges for leaders.
    3. he keeps the follower very close to him, which allows for maximum control. the space the two of them take up is also quite small. they are in the slot.
    4. the follow is very good, which cannot be underestimated in terms of perceiving the lead as "good."
    5. the signals he gives are very clear. you can see him prep turns and CBLs with his arms in a very precise way. (see :22 on the clip to see what i mean.)
    6. he keeps the right amount of tension in his arms - watch him when they do an open break. even though they are very far apart, his elbow stays bent and his arm is connected to his lats. this is correct technique. it allows for nearly effortless transmission of signals to the follow.
    7. the intensity of his dancing matches the music. it's a fluid, jazzy piece (very often played around here, incidentally) that doesn't call for pyrotechnics. the follow even under-dances a bit in the shines, in my opinion - she looks a little like she's just going through the motions - but in general their partnerwork matches the feel of the music.

11. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

:applause: Totally agree, alemana. Technique can do wonders to your dancing.

Twilight Elena

12. alemana

alemana New Member

well... um, yeah.

13. itorres

itorres New Member

Yes, I see many leads regarded as advanced by many, but they often just stand still while turning and spinning the girl. Then they pick her back up and then start dancing. They have an extensive repertoire of moves but have disregarded mastering and keeping the basic step timing throughout.
    Good, no pyrotechnics. However, it was a very busy piece in terms of moves. Something that I don't like much about the style presented here is the lack of simpler, smoother playing around with your partner in closed position. The song goes 98% doing turns and I think that is not rich intepretation of songs - closed positions basics, "flirting", changes of pace or mood, etc. It's really a barrage of turns.

And an impressive repertoire of turns it is. He's got a great understanding and feel for arm positions, hammerlocks, crossed hand holds,twisting-untwisting...

Another thing he does that looks good is that he also turns smoothly himself as opposed to only her turning. He also travels quite a bit. Instead of just doing a CBL, he often travels past her again to complete a sometimes called a 360 CBL. Looks good.

I checked out her expression by the time the shines came. She was smiling and into it but I think 1. She was sort of in a daze after trying to connect with all the moves and cues he was going through in that fast a song. I think she was in "overload" and also 2. she was looking at what he was doing.

Do we know if they've danced together often? I think she did a very good job. I didn't really see her miss, although I didn't study the video extensively. For some reason I was impresed when around 1'13" he swung her left arm down so to place it behind her back and keep it there. Not every girl can catch that.

By the way, from what you guys have seen each other dance. How many DFers are at or above this level?

14. africana

africana New Member

very nice breakdown alemana
    - Milton Cobo discussed a variation of these points at his workshop. He really stressed keeping a center between lead and follow, staying a tight slot, an not making the follow move too much

so the lead philosophy is compeltely translatable to on1 or P2, but I'm not so sure about the overall "jazzy" look of it

15. africana

africana New Member

by the way his partner Magna Gopal is regarded as "one of the top three followers" and spinners (to quote some website).....whatever, she's still very skilled in nearly any component of partner or solo work. And Yes she has danced a LOT with Jareau, infact there were so many videos of them together on imambo till viewers requested some uh diversity lol

She's that great. Btw, you could check supermario's site, he has a video of partnering with her

As far as any DFers "at that level", we're discussing a style, not a level, right? and I rarely meet leaders with such a stylish style, not even among the pros in my local scene...some of whom may actually be classified at a higher level. The only other two guys I've danced with that have a similar style are Milton cobo & Shaka Brown, both good experiences (with Shaka it took a second try ;) )

16. alemana

alemana New Member

He's a very advanced epitome of new york style... turn the follower, then turn her again. Also just remember that it's always obvious when you are being filmed and leads *always* feel pressure to really perform under the glare of the camera. the flirty playful stuff usually gets bypassed in these situations.

yes, he spins and pivots in tight, controlled circles.

I seriously doubt that - they are very well-matched in terms of level. (I had some stuff about her here but I see africana already identified her.) She looks a little scared by the camera/a little bored, but not overloaded. It's funny, but i frequently experience something like this when i dance with a superadvanced lead - when he's REALLY good, and really leading, you can almost zone out.

I've only been dancing seriously for about a year and a half. I could definitely follow that lead - there are no moves led i haven't danced before - but it wouldn't look as good as it did when Magna did it.

17. africana

africana New Member

:cheers:

defnitely agree about the camera effect, but also he's dancing with a top follower so why not stretch his leading muscles?
    But for her, she has to shut a bit more than normal to accomodate his turn patterns (happens to me too but i want to break out of that a bit more)

by the way, the only thing that reduced the "level" for me in this video would be the timing - timing is everything in my book - but it could be just the cameras again

18. alemana

alemana New Member

J. doesn't really need to stretch - he's very well-regarded, everybody knows him... I guess it's a privilege that comes with already being on top of your game for a while.

Fonely I could taste that myself! hah.

19. alemana

alemana New Member

so i guess my simple answer to the question posed in this topic is, "dance like hell all the time for a really long time."

20. africana

africana New Member

I just meant that if I were a top lead with lots of interesting patterns why not test them all out on the best followers when I have the opportunity?

oh yeah I've seen other better videos of him, so I'm definitely a "fan", plus he's nice in person (and cute ;) )