Salsa > How can I dance like this

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by pielcanela, Nov 29, 2005.

1. alemana

alemana New Member

this is why i watch with great interest as you learn how to lead... you're going to tear up the floor with that stuff.

bring it!

2. africana

africana New Member

yeah right :lol:
    it's been at least 2 months since I took any leading lessons, I rarely have incentive to practice, not to mention how hard it is to find partner + time + space. I lead occassional cha cha chas, but when I'm out, i can't help but fall back into following

it's so much more fun :p

3. africana

africana New Member

oh yeah I remember about a month ago I was watching April Genovese lead :notworth: and was so :( I'll never be able to lead that well (much better than any male leads there that night)...I asked her how she learned to lead so well, and she said it was through teaching

it's teh same thing my other instructor (female) friends have said

so I guess unless I'm ready to teach or am really invested in leading (which I'm not right now) my lead won't develop beyond beg-intermediate

necessity...

4. alemana

alemana New Member

it's ok. i'm a patient woman.

5. africana

africana New Member

I can see that I need to tape myself leading and post it here ;)

6. pielcanela

pielcanela New Member

thank so much for the comments, wow I sure have lots to digest :)

7. maurice_levy

maurice_levy New Member

hi shdni

just a quick question whats the title of the song from ur home page clip (2005-Orville-AUSTIN)

thanks

8. africana

africana New Member

Here's the source of the original quote from salsanewyork.com

9. new-ish

new-ish New Member

My teacher is very smooth. When we have lessons, one of the things she tries to do is make my dancing smoother, sometimes it is softening the knees, other times it is the way that weight shifts are transitioned.

Maybe some people are born that way, but I think it can also be learned.

10. BugBear

BugBear New Member

BTW what is the name of the song they're dancing to?

11. theSalsero

theSalsero New Member

Magna Gopal is awesome. There's no question about it. Jareau is incredible. I think they dance wonderfully together.

If you aren't convinced of these facts, you should be careful not to form undermining opinions of them based on a single clip.

12. africana

africana New Member

??
    pretty sure you're not addressing me here considering my other posts on this thread about these dancers

13. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:applause:

To this, I would also add: "Be adaptable & have an open/humble attitude to learn & evolve."

Quality is every bit as important (if not more) as quantity.

I know *many* highly regarded salser@s (who have been around for a loooong time) who have simply stopped growing........ instead, they got stuck in the mindset of "remember the good old days" :cry: ........

14. africana

africana New Member

just wanted to say I met a visiting dancer tonight who totally dances and looks like Milton Cobo...soooo dreamy I'm still in la la land thinking about those 3 dances :D :D

(also danced with a well-known instructor who was in town :) )
    what a night!!

15. africana

africana New Member

16. pielcanela

pielcanela New Member

17. Josh

Josh Active Member

These two in this video dance very well together, and both seem to be wonderful dancers. But, does anyone else feel that they look a little complacent, a little bored, maybe not into the dance? I'm not judging them based on this clip, just talking about this particular clip. It's smooth for sure--maybe a little too smooth? thoughts?

18. alemana

alemana New Member

i think that was the general feeling, yeah. i would call what they're doing "coasting."

19. OneCentSalsero

OneCentSalsero New Member

I can't wait to be able to just "coast" like them ;-D

20. Canadian Guy

Canadian Guy New Member

I think that's the idea - they dance so well that it looks effortless. Plus there are dancing ET2 - that's the style, ultra smoooooth.

I think you would like LA style better.

Regardless, sign of a pro is that they make difficult things look easy.