Salsa > How can I dance like this

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by pielcanela, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Josh

Josh Active Member

Yeah as an LA style dancer I definitely do not like a "smooth" look as much as a flashy look... to each his/her own; regardless, they look good.

2. africana

africana New Member

3. Big10

Big10 Member

I lean a bit towards your point of view on this topic. I can definitely appreciate dancers with a smooth technique (which I also try to imitate in some respects), but the problem is matching the smoothness with the music. In most instances Salsa/Mambo music is not smooth all the way through the song....and isn't that what really makes the music so interesting to us?

Sometimes there are sharp accents with the trumpets, or the singer's voice will change pace, or the conga player will be allowed to riff for a few measures, or there will be any number of other noticeable changes in the music during the course of a song. Dancers who float a little too easily through all of those changes kind of lose me after awhile. Yes, spinning technique and things like smooth 360 CBL's are impressive, but in general I'd rather watch somebody who reflects what is happening with the music -- and often that means some abrupt stops or changes of pace that are anything but "smooth."

4. africana

africana New Member

well fortunately these dancers HAPPEN to be interpreting the mood of the music quite excellently, instead of making all those sharp movements like your normal awkward non-versitile dancers who can neither maintain "smooth" nor "dynamic"

By the way, the thing I admire most about Magna is her ability to combine extremely creative footwork and body movement without relying too much on "feminine wiles", like most other well known followers. she's excellent at following the flow of the music no matter her partner's style, just check out her little shine towards the end

I've also seen Jareau doing some solo work, definitely not boring to watch ;)

just appreciate

5. Josh

Josh Active Member

Yeah, the song in this video would maybe be a nice change of pace but is not a style I would want to dance to more than once or twice in a night. Too boring. I'm getting sleepy listening to it now.

6. Big10

Big10 Member

You won't get any complaints from me about Magna in this clip, since I do think that she interprets the music well -- when she gets a chance. For example, listen to the musical change around 0:58 of the clip. The music does a little rat-a-tat-a-tat which Magna responds to by shaking her body and doing a little hop....but Jareau just moves on through it with pattern after pattern.

I've seen Jareau in other clips, so I'm not knocking his great talent as a dancer (and I know you think he's hot :rolleyes: ), but I just wasn't feeling what he was doing in this particular one. I even like the song (so I disagree with Josh's opinion that the music was boring), but this was just an occasion to talk about the point that dancing can be too smooth for the music sometimes.

7. pielcanela

pielcanela New Member

that hop is so cute :)

8. Big10

Big10 Member

Yep, and right on the musical accent, too! :applause:

Plus, Magna is scheduled to come to Houston in February 2006, so I have a couple of months to work up my courage to ask her to dance....:oops:

9. africana

africana New Member

aw cmon i've got more than enough substance to deserve the "you think he's hot eye rolling" comment...anyhow, I've seen dynamic (solo and partnering) clips of him as well so I dont doubt his ability to take on whatever level of smooth he likes.
    It would be a fantasy for most leads to hear that they are "too" smooth hahaa! on top of achieving the advanced lead techniques alemana enumerated for us, can't touch that, kudos to the man

By the way, I have new hero when it comes to musical interpretation: Troy Anthony of New Orleans, that man is crazy genious! the way he plays with his patterns and partners to completely fit things in the music :notworth: (said he was a trained as a jazz pianist)
    He does all that and STILL has a smooth lead style, but it's a different style from Milton & friends

10. OneCentSalsero

OneCentSalsero New Member

wow

Song does the opposite for me. I wonder if its an indication of personal preference or if thats the way most LA style dancers feel of jazzy songs like this.

Any good LA Style social dancing clips to a jazzy song, id like to compare the difference.

11. Josh

Josh Active Member

I think that any LA style dancing to a jazzy song like this one would almost certainly involve changing the style so that it would become less distinctly LA.

That being said, I enjoy listening to the song, it's just not one of those songs that beckons me to jump up and dance. ;) The opinions of other LA style dancers may be quite different though--so I definitely won't speak for anyone but myself. :D

12. Big10

Big10 Member

Hee hee. Most of my post did address the substance of your comments, so that snippet was just a way of playing with you -- mainly in light of your quote from Page 2 of this very thread:
    If it makes you feel any better, I'll confess that I think Magna is cute, hot, and everything else! :raisebro: (Uh oh, now I'll keep my fingers crossed that she doesn't read this thread before she comes to Houston in a couple of months.... :oops: )

13. africana

africana New Member

yes I knew it was a joke but you know...the implication that it blinds me to honestly/objectively critiquing the dancer

14. BugBear

BugBear New Member

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I still can't find the song from the video :(

15. OneCentSalsero

OneCentSalsero New Member

Song: Pico Swing, Artist: New Swing Sextette

16. mayanempire

mayanempire New Member

Then you both (Big 10 and africana) need to try to make it to Atlanta for Flava Invasion next weekend...

Both Jareau and Magna will be here (along with Sekou, Cristina, Ana and Joel, Shaka, Grisselle, Laura...etc.)!

17. BugBear

BugBear New Member

Thank You! :cool:

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I agree. :)

19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

hmmm...

20. Big10

Big10 Member

Actually, Magna was already in Houston a couple of weekends ago (Feb. 3rd & 4th)....but I chickened out of asking her to dance. :( :oops: Her movements are really great to watch in person, but I still don't feel comfortable enough with my On2 dancing to ask someone of her stature in the Mambo world to dance with me. It was a really cool event though, since it also included performances from Griselle Ponce, Mario B & Ivonna, and Micah & Kathy from Chicago. (I didn't ask any of those other superstar women to dance either, but maybe I will feel better about my "2" by this time next year.)

If I didn't ask her to dance when she was here alone, what makes you think I would approach her when her boyfriend (Jareau) is actually in the same room! :lol: :oops: