General Dance Discussion > How dancing shapes you from a woman into a lady.

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by SPratt74, Jul 29, 2006.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Now this thread will be mainly directed towards the women, but men can respond if they've been through similar stuff.

My whole life I've been pretty basic when it comes to clothes and hair and makeup etc. I never did anything to myself that was outlandish even though I could have, but I really never cared to though until I started dancing. Now I've dated some pretty amazing men with some pretty amazing jobs, so I never thought of myself as ugly or anything like that. (Well, ok... besides those awkward teenage years that we pretty much all go through of course.) But I never considered myself looking like a model or even thinking like one either until now after being given the compliment that I should submit my pictures to New York City by someone that I don't even know.

I realized this week, even though I sort of realized this earlier was that thanks to dance... I am now changing from a woman into a lady, which has ending result of probably to me the highest compliment, that I should be a model, that I could have ever received. What I mean by this is that when you start to take dancing seriously as most of you women probably know, you start to learn things about yourselves not only on the dance floor but personally as well. You start to want to better yourself not only as a person but how you come across towards people both on the inside and on the outside. Dance is changing not only what is in the inside of me, but what is on the outside of me as well and for this I am grateful.

I am grateful to have such wonderful people to help me feel confident enough to make me want to change myself. I know that I went from being a sad unhappy broken hearted woman, to a woman that yes is single... but that can actually say she's happy with her life, and I'm also a woman that knows she looks happy towards others on the outside. I also realized this weekend while looking at salon stores in the mall after getting my haircut in the mall is that I would have never considered tanning, or getting my nails and makeup done, or dressing sexier than usual. I would have never done any of these things otherwise. I mean sure I've had people try to get me to do those things before hand, but you have to want to do these things yourself. In fact, my poor x was trying to get me to dress the way I dress now for the longest time. It's nice to know that he knew I had the potential to do so, I just had to want to do it myself.

So, my question to you all is how many of you started to change your appearance when you started dance? I know we've had threads that talked about how we have changed personality wise, but this thread is about appearance. I'm curious to know if for instance, you started to buy more sparkly tops, or you started tanning (which most of you have done probably), or you started to wear dresses even. Or for men, you started to shower more lol, or you made sure you were neat and clean before you go to dance. Anything to do with appearance is fine, and yes... the occasional hijack is fine too lol. I understand. Have fun! ;)

2. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Ah. Well. So far, it has changed me from a girl to a woman (out of the gutter, people). The woman to lady transition needs more work.
    Wardrobe, makeup, hair etc. changes are things we've talked about countless times. Changes in behaviour, doubly so. So I will wait and see what path this thread takes and then comment further.

T_E

3. Laura

Laura New Member

It's funny -- I dress a little better now than when I started dancing, but that's really because I have more money to spend on clothes because of where I am in my life now as opposed to then.

I go to the studio with my hair knotted back out of the way, my glasses on, a simple V-neck T-shirt, and a pair of trousers. No makeup. I'm getting ready for a comp right this second, and my hair is up, braided and rolled and pinned and netted and sprayed and gelled and even STONED. I'm going to put in my contacts, I tanned, I will do full-on make up (no eyelashes today, though, I have a problem with the eyelashes and my contacts that I can usually deal with but don't feel like today)...and I can guarantee you that there will be someone who when I talk to them they'll not quite be sure who I am :) Which I think is odd, because I have a distinctive voice and also an uncommon body type for dancesport.

Anyway, my everyday life is very simple. My husband and I are, for lack of a better word, both kind of techno-hippies. I mean, we have nice jobs and a house and all that, but we're not into makeup or designer clothes or status symbols.

In fact, when I get done all up for competition I always have to ask him if I've gone too far and crossed the line into "drag queen." I know if he says "ummmmm, not quite" then I've done it right :)

So, if I have a comp coming up, dancing vastly changes my appearance, but most of the time I'm just me. I tend to dress sporty because my life is so full of physical activity: gym, Pilates, Feldenkrais, ice skating, and dance lessons and practice. I'm always running from the gym to a lesson to the grocery store and then home to make dinner.

1 person likes this.
  4. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

You're competing today, Laura?
    Best of luck.

5. africana

africana New Member

Oh absolutely!
    -obsession with shopping/clothes now that I discovered (and am discovering) what I look good in. I still am not big on fashion & designer trends, but I'm very glad of any chance to find something new & unusual that looks good, that fits me. instead the easy convinient purchase
    -more self-assured than ever, self-possessing, no longer intimidated by men or being around them like i used to be (after years of all-girls' secondary boarding school)
    -more accepting of the whole me, being comfortable in my own skin, and losing that post-teenage awkwardness of a "late" bloomer. I only have male siblings, worked and studied in a field with few to no women around, so finding the "woman within" was something that dance helped me do. I think I'm still a tom-boy but not as much as before :) (not that it's a bad thing to be that)

I'm sure there's more I can think of later

1 person likes this.
  6. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Skirts! I have learned I can, in fact, wear skirts. My legs do not need to be hidden in baggy pants all the time. I no longer avoid things with detailing - before dancing, I would always, always wear things that were very plain and simple and boring (only solid colors, no embelishments, only the most basic shapes, etc . . .) - now, after years of dancing, I'm no longer afraid to look feminine.

Oh, and I can walk better than anyone I know in heels. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Laura

Laura New Member

I forgot to mention: the one thing I do regularly now that I'm a dancer is get my eyebrows waxed :)

8. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh I have never tried that! I've been told that I don't need to though. But I don't know! And you mentioned you had a problem with eyelashes and contacts? Do you mean the fake eyelashes? My sister bought me those for my first show, and they were conflicting with my contacts for some reason. I still can't figure out why.

Oh and I did the Mystic Tan today (I've done it before lol), so now I'm darker than what I am in my photos! But I didn't do my legs right lol. That's ok. I usually wear slacks to work anyways with dark panty hose or something like that. It's funny cause I was having problems with my arms the last time I did it, but I finally managed to get the timing on my arms right with that machine. So, everything up top including my arms look good, but I will have to get my legs better next time. I have another appointment next Saturday, and the girl that helps me is really nice. So, I'm excited!

Oh yeah... I bought a membership to a tanning salon today. I would never have done this otherwise. I've done tanning before for special occasions, but I have never bought a tanning membership lol! ;)

9. africana

africana New Member

how about those "Belle of the Ball" nights when your dancing is admired and it feels like the world is your oyster? Priceless! The old shy reserved me would never be the life of a party

Ooh: Makeup adventures! Now I love playing with dramatic colors and effects, before I wouldn't bother with makeup (still sorta don't in my day life ;) )

10. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh I am so scared of dealing with makeup and colors lol! I let my sister handle what I'm not comfortable with lol! ;)

11. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I dress up a bit and put some make-up when I go out dancing more than I usually do. I also flirt a bit while dancing cause normally I don't. So it has changed my appearance a bit. And of course I got more of a 'dancer' figure than I used to have (was more muscular).

12. Anna

Anna New Member

Still working out the hair and makeup thing and almost all the money that could be going to clothes is going towards lessons. But if I every make it past nerdy post-teenager, it'll be thanks to dance!

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I never wore my hair up...and now I rarely wear it down...and I think I am so much more aware of my posture so I get alot of compliments now that are based I think, upon those tow things creating a look that is more sophisticated than I really am...and I will also say that due to the graciousness that I have had bestowed upon me in the envionment in which I dance, I am much more likely to model that same behavior b/c I respect it so much

14. lynn

lynn New Member

ditto with the skirts & heels :raisebro: !! Actually, come to think of it, I think I learned how to walk in heels from dancing :shock: ;) !!

15. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Here's my list:

I switched from eyeglasses to contacts. I discovered that I actually do look good in colors I would have never considered for wearing - like royal blue or cranberry red. I discovered spray tan. I improved my makeup skills. I wear it very little, only for special occasions, since at work I mostly spend time in front of computer, and I never felt like I should bother with makeup for my family. But now I can do bright dramatic makeup for competition or showcase. I started getting facials and massages on a more or less regular basis. And of course, I am now in better shape physically than when I was 18. I have more muscle and better posture.

16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Same here! Now it's like I want to get rid of all of my flat shoes and only wear heels! I've actually thrown away a couple of my flat sandals, because I was like these are old. Well, what that really meant is, I wonder what else is out there the same color in a heel? :p

Oh and my highest heel is 5 inches. My sister gave them to me, because she couldn't wear that high of a heel after she bought them. I kept them for about a little over a year now, and haven't been able to walk in them until now. When my mom saw them on me one night she was like, how do you do that? I answered... I am a dancer now!!! ;)

17. Anna

Anna New Member

Dancing taught me to walk in heels, but if anything it makes me less likely to wear heels outside the studio! It's flats for me every day.

18. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh really??? See, all I've ever worn are flats! So, it's like opening up a whole new world for me when it comes to heels lol! I'm like... I don't have to just look at flats any more when I go shopping lol. Wohoo lol! :p

1 person likes this.
  19. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I now know how not to break my face while walking street heels. However, I now have no money for street heels! How ironic is that?

T_E

20. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

I'm with the "flat shoe" contingent. The funny thing is, I used to wear heels most of the time before I started dancing. Now I wear heels only for dancing, in order to protect my feet as much as possible. I also do as much of my practice as possible in dance sneakers (there are some things you can do in sneakers, and some that you can't).
    If working outside my home (I often work from home), I wear sneakers to the office, change into heels at the office but only if I know I won't be walking further than the water cooler. Other than that, it's flat heels all the time.