How did you find/meet your dance partner(s)?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Twilight_Elena, Nov 10, 2005.

?

How did you find your current dance partner?

1. Through online dance partner search engines

14 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Through an ad in the local newspaper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. We practiced at the same studio

63 vote(s)
    38.9%
  4. Through friends/teachers network of acquaintances

31 vote(s)
    19.1%
  5. I ran into him/her while shopping rhinestones

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. We're married and started dancing together

20 vote(s)
    12.3%
  7. We're siblings or otherwise related and started dancing together

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  8. Something else entirely

33 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I was reading through one of Katarzyna's posts and I realised that, while we talk about partner seaching and partner finding all the time in DF, we don't really have a clear picture on how people have found their dance partners. Might give the rest of us who are thinking of finding a partner or are fervertly in need of one a good idea of how it happens.
    And on a personal note, I'm just too curious to find out. Was it something that happened out of the blue, like you were shopping for kittie kibble and you couldn't pay the bill and s/he paid it for you in a "You've got mail" all Hollywood-like sorta way or did you go through tons of partners that were not at all compatible with you till one peaceful day you just found him/her and just clicked? :D :D

Twilight Elena

P.s. Clarifying: I'm not referring to Pro/Am partnerships, but rather Am/Am, Pro, or even partnerships that weren't formed for the sake of competitions but for the sake of practicing, having a good time, maybe even performing and maybe some day competing.

2. wyllo

wyllo New Member

I met my husband at a beginner ballroom dance class when we were both undergrads. Then life got in the way and we stopped dancing for several years while we graduated, got jobs, went to grad school, etc. Then we decided to start up again and started competing as incentive to get better.

3. Twilight_Elena

Many competitive couples seem to have started like that, i.e. getting married and then starting to dance together as well. Though the opposite is quite popular as well. :D

Twilight Elena

4. sunderi

sunderi New Member

My husband & I started ballroom to get ready for our first dance for our wedding. (I had done ballet as a child, but he had no prior dance experience.) After taking lessons for about 2 years, he decided he wanted to go pro. He did, I didn't. Then, 3 years later, I decided it was time for me to make the switch, also, so I became a pro.

We've both tried partnerships with other people (very short lived and unsuccessful on both counts) and we are just now (as in, earlier this week) starting to work together as partners. (Wish us luck -- we REALLY need it!) For now, we're just working on an in-studio Foxtrot pro show, but our hope is to eventually compete together. We shall see! (I'm sure you will all hear a lot about it. ;) )

5. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Sunderi --- congratulations and good luck with your 'new' partnership! :D

6. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

7. dTas

dTas New Member

we taught at the same studio and the studio owner asked us to do little dance demonstrations at the parties. we naturally took that to the next level and started putting together little routines to do at a moments notice and finally whole show's.

8. Twilight_Elena

Do you now compete together or do you just perform?

Twilight Elena

9. dTas

dTas New Member

we both used to compete with other partners but now both of us don't have the time or money or energy to compete anymore. "been there done that"

now we just practice and put together routines to up our dancing, improve, and also to have something available when people ask for a show.

10. Twilight_Elena

Silly post hour!
    I'm surprised that no one who has voted in the poll yet has met his/her partner through rhinestone shopping. How the mighty have fallen... soon we'll ban feathers too! :shock: :lol:

Twilight Elena

P.s. But I must say I love it when people like my threads and vote at my polls.:D

11. lynn

lynn New Member

eh....rhinestone shopping?? not many guys i know shop for rhinestones....are they supposed to put them on their tails :shock: :lol: ??!!

12. WRhythm

WRhythm New Member

I met my partner while I was competing against him. It was the smartest dance decision I've ever made to form a new partnership with him.

13. D-spot

D-spot Member

So many partners, so little time.
    In UK, through the University clubs. In two years I was partnered with (notice the tense, I had little to do with it) English (1), German (1) Japanese (1), American (1), French (1). Was it me? Hope not.
    In Canada several through the on line ads, both me posting and replying to posts (some horror stories there, it's not just the girsl that get the horrors).
    Asking around worked well, I had a good one through that.
    One young lady at the same studio also wanted to some competition (she Youth, me senior A, so we had to do Adult).
    Helping out at the local University I met with one lady who wanted to do her associates, so we partnered up and have done a few little demos publically (not good and please destroy any videos of us, thanks).
    Current fiancee, met her at the studio I worked at. Someone elses student. Once the initial shock wore off, the studio was okay with it. (Actual comment was 'we don't mind it as it's you, certain others we would have problems with').
    Not allowed to look for others (confused).

Ah well, only allowed to vote once.

D-spot.

14. fenixx

fenixx Member

My first partner walked into the studio. I was the only boy there and she was the only girl, so it worked out. After that, either the girl found me through my coach or my coach set me up.

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

*cough*

16. mamboqueen

You found your partner coughing, Joe?? :mrgreen:

Spill!

17. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I met my partner in a salsa dance class in my dorm. Back then he wasn't at all into ballroom. Then he was and then we ended up dancing together because we were a good height and skill match and we were already friends.

It's been 6 years and to this day we've been each other's only partners:)

18. mamboqueen

Wow - a successful partnership. Good for you guys. Uhh...he's not your dh, too, is he?? (inquiring minds...don't answer if you don't want to). Oh, and I forgot to mention that I had a dream that I met you (and your partner) in Minnesota and you were (*gasp*) pregnant. Guess it was a day I had too much time on this site!

19. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

OMG, are you kidding, lol. Hahaha!

No, he's not my dh! Not at all. We're really good friends but I'm newly married to someone else. I guess I'm one of those people to be admired who can successfully do both;) But seriously, our partnership has always been so easy to maintain. I'm not sure we've ever really had a flight in 6 years. Sure, there have been disagreements but there is so much respect inherent in the partnership that yelling at each other doesn't even enter our minds no matter how much we disagree... Actually, it's been really great:)

20. mamboqueen

And you're not just saying that because he frequents our site??!! ;)

You are very lucky. I don't think my dh would get jealous or give me grief (especially after I told him how much less expensive the arrangement would be -- I always appeal to his great sense of frugality!). There's a big dance coming up that I'm going to try to go to...check out the potential partner situation. I know there's someone out there waiting for me....arms wide open :)