General Dance Discussion > How do I get what I really want?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Sunsetdancer, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

I've been dancing for many, many, many years and only recently discovered what I really wanted from dancing. And I'm wondering how many others have felt the same way. Sooo, without listing the normal, mundane answers; exercise, social interaction, health, etc. ...
    What do you get from your dancing, and why?

chomsky likes this.
  2. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I think we already have threads on this topic... I've run across at least two of them in the last week.

I sometimes wonder why we feel the urge to spend so much time analyzing and discussing why we dance, when most of the reasons are obvious as you say... trying to picture basketball players or avid scrapbookers having in-depth conversations about why they like their hobby.

chomsky likes this.
  3. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

What was it that you finally discovered you wanted (still want?) from dancing??? Exercise, social interaction, or something else??

chomsky and Sunsetdancer like this.
  4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Yes, I had a similar question. It seems you told us that you found what you really want at last, but then you didn't tell us what that was! Come on now. We are anticipating your next post. :)

For me, I think the benefits that I perceive change. So I am open to multiple benefits that may occur at different times. I just know overall that I really like what dancing has given me even though I can't specify everything in a simple sentence.

Sunsetdancer likes this.
  5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hey, please tell :)

Sunsetdancer likes this.
  6. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't the "normal mundane" factors you list be enough reason?

IndyLady, Sunsetdancer and raindance like this.
  7. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

Hi Raindance, What I wanted was to know HOW to move and dance like a professional. The videos, and most teachers I have had were not able to tell me precisely what needs to happen in the body to execute every move. Everything fell short and I was struggling, but NOW I am learning natural body movement, which is then techniqued to the particular dance I'm dancing at the time. It makes dancing so incredibly EASY! Easy to get that look I had always wanted.

It is my opinion that most are like me, their goals in dance are elusive, and are manifested in terms like exercise, or competing, or just want to be a good social dancer. But they will not really know what they want until it happens... I want to know if anyone has found out what they really want, and what that is.

8. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

Hi Dance Mentor, I just posted my answer to raindncer. ❤

9. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

Hi Snapdancer,
    For some, maybe those are real reasons, but I think most are like I was, wanting more, but not knowing how to get it.
    I posted my answer to Raindancer.

10. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

What I wanted was to know HOW to move and dance like a professional. The videos, and most teachers I have had were not able to tell me precisely what needs to happen in the body to execute every move. Everything fell short and I was struggling, but NOW I am learning natural body movement, which is then techniqued to the particular dance I'm dancing at the time. It makes dancing so incredibly EASY! Easy to get that look I had always wanted.

It is my opinion that most are like me, their goals in dance are elusive, and are manifested in terms like exercise, or competing, or just want to be a good social dancer. But they will not really know what they want until it happens... I want to know if anyone has found out what they really want, and what that is.

11. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

In your original post, you were asking what people got out of dancing, what by products.

Now you're referring to how to achieve a specific dance goal. In your case technique to become a better dancer.

This forum exists to discuss specific dance-related issues. So if someone wants some specific dance-related information, they can ask. And if they have it, then there no longer is a want.

IndyLady likes this.
  12. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

Perhaps the subject is a little broad; what one wants, gets, has as a goal, has received, is all the same in a way. Is this not specific enough dance related issue? We all want something, but may not know what that is.
    I am very interested in the experiences of other dancers. When discussing what people like /want or find helpful, or don't... or would like to have, it opens my mind to ideas I may not have considered. By stating my recent experience as an example, I hoped to stimulate the conversation. There are many things I'm sure I have not thought of ....
    In taking lessons, sometimes I don't have the words to express what I really want, it is easier to find answers to improve dancing. Listening to others' experiences helps.

13. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

Yes! Dance Mentor, that is what happens for me. The benefits/needs/goals do change and grow. I like to re-assess occasionally, listen to others and redefine what I now want. The one I stated, for me, was huge.

14. opendoor

Natural body movement in a wider or rather narrow sense?

Sunsetdancer likes this.
  15. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

As in understanding the mechanics of what must happen in a body to execute a movement. For instance, we are told to pull up, or to stand tall. Until I understood that means a realignment of body parts on every step, I could not fully understand step, swing, recover maintaining a straight leg during the swing (ballroom), or how to accomplish continuous body movement (rumba). Another example of natural body movement being techniqued
    to apply to a specific dance move is rumba walks. The movement is forward, but as the steps are taken, the natural rotating movement of the hip would cause a side step. By pulling up and rotating the center core of the body back to the direction of intent, inside edges of the foot, and forward poise, it becomes a long, beautiful forward step on straight legs, full of the continuous body movement characteristic of rumba. Sounds complicated when all written out, but makes the move super simple.
    Don't know if this is a wide or narrow concept, but I do know that it covers every step, every move, every dance. I am blown away by it all, and wonder why I wasn't taught things like this right away.

16. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

This seems to sum it up pretty well for the OP. While it is a laudable goal, and one that 99.9% of the posters here on this forum are also pursuing, it is not a particularly profound one. We all want to be better dancers, and that happens when instructors/pros/coaches tell/show us exactly how to do stuff. It's pretty simple.

Yes, often one technical adjustment can make a big difference, IME.

Studios often start by teaching patterns first before diving into technique, which is why you may not have been taught certain things sooner. Also, sometimes as a student you are just not ready for certain concepts. I've been shown/explained things that didn't click until months later.

raindance, FancyFeet and Sunsetdancer like this.
  17. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

Very true, IndyLady.

18. opendoor

I would not call that natural body movement. It´s simply awareness of the body mechanics and a physiological understanding. The steps and figures you mentioned still remain rather unnatural and highly artificial.

IndyLady and Sunsetdancer like this.
  19. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

Hi Opendoor,
    It doesn't really matter what my revelation is or is not, the point of this conversation is to draw out feelings, wants, desires, and/or goals of many dancers. We all experience and interpret things differently. I have tried to put into words a tiny portion of my own experience because I was asked what I personally had received when I realized what it was I truly wanted from dancing. I am hoping to hear from others in a similar manner. It is not my position to critique their answers, but merely to understand and to share some of the joys and perhaps disappointments experienced. If we know what we want, we have a better chance of finding it. :)

opendoor likes this.
  20. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

Interesting video. Thanks for sharing.

opendoor likes this.