Ballroom Dance > how do you create "energy" in your dance

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomdancertoo, Apr 13, 2017.

1. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

It's a wide open question but I was wondering how do you create "energy" in your dances. and can you tell whether someone's "energy" is real or fake.

2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Lots of espresso?

Jongleur9418 and j_alexandra like this.
  3. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Kinetic energy: This starts by initiating a great connection with partner to facilitate effective energy transfer. Superior techniques also contribute to effective energy.

Preparation: Diet, hygiene, rest, conditioning, and general wellness.

It's fake if you talk the talk; but, you don't walk the walk.

4. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

intentional use of breath
    gravity flight in standard and smooth
    use of the standing leg in standard and smooth
    forward poise in Latin
    keep a constant dynamic stretch through the torso and never drop your sides or upper center even during shapes or latin actions
    focus on how the dance and the music make you feel and express that in your expressions and actions

ctbXVIII, bia, 3wishes and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

All of the above. And connection with your partner. One of you is always in stop. One in go. The transfer between one and the other generates energy

scullystwin42, 3wishes and Sania like this.
  6. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Contrast.

Not all go-go-go. Stillness can accentuate motion. Capturing kinetic energy into potential energy and then exploding that back into kinetic. Not all biggest-stretch. Allow the frame to breathe so there is room to expand even more to accentuate some shapes. This has been called 'light and dark'. Otherwise the dance is monotonic, metronomic drum machine.

As to how to see if it's real or fake I do not know how yet.

7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I don't think I do anything specific...if I'm well rested, hydrated and eat healthfully before a comp I naturally bring more energy, and I love it when a good song is playing!

8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Light and shade...

flying_backwards likes this.
  9. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I will add... Finding what makes you passionate. Some of the fire comes from inside... Feeling the music, the shared experience with your partner, the audience watching you, the yearning to express yourself.

Mr 4 styles and Sania like this.
  10. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

thanks for all the informative replies. it's good to have an idea of what is having "energy".

11. Mia

Mia Member

For me, "energy" primarily comes from:
    - connection with your partner
    - fitness level
    - flow of the dance

12. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Contrast is a big thing. adding contrast and dynamics to my dancing has been a big focus for the last few months. a lot of knowing where to exhale, how to use impact/impulse correctly.

13. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Filling out every fraction of the music, even if it's just stretching a line. using your whole body to the very tips of your fingers and toes and eyelashes.

RiseNFall likes this.