Tango Argentino > How do you lead a Fouette ?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by opendoor, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I know this - in fact, I corrected their Wikipedia pages accordingly. :)

2. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

That's a little harsh. No-one learns everything from a single class, after all.

I probably wouldn't be so extreme as to say "it's not tango" either - it's just not a step I like. But there are loads of steps I don't like...

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I agree; it just doesnt look right in tango dancing; probably all down to Eugenia Pareilla's style

4. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Well I don't think it even looks very good in chacha for that matter.

5. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

Well done...

... though if the author of "winners, Show Tango section" is you, may I ask: what's your source?

6. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

Agreed, but if a guy learned a move at all, he surely learned whether it is "lead with the right hand".

Very often "I learned a step from a teacher" actually means "I learned of a step from an instructor." That's not a problem... unless ones mistakes this for learning to dance.

7. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I suppose that's a fair distinction, but keep in mind that not everyone on this forum has English as a first language. As a foreign language, there's probably little difference between 'teacher' and 'instructor'.

Also, if the OP had felt that he had completely learned it, he wouldn't have posted a question about it. So I don't think we have to worry about him confusing "hearing about a potential step" with learning to dance.

8. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

Good point - thanks.

No-one can teach a chair to dance.
    Anyone can instruct a chair to dance.

IME, generally dance classes have instructors whereas one-on-one lessons and directed practicas have teachers. There are exceptions.

9. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

This was my revision - a couple of years ago.

My source was the IDO website, but they appear to have removed the old results from their site now. Which is annoying.

10. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I'd be inclined to give OD the benefit of the doubt on this one; he's got a reasonable history of constructive contibutions on this forum.

11. Zoopsia59

Its interesting to me that you are nit-picking vocabulary in one thread and advising on how to learn language "naturally" on another.

These sorts of refined definitions are the type of distinctions that one learns through extended education and most children (learning their native tongue the way children do) would not understand them, I don't think.

12. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/instruct

Main Entry: in·struct
    Pronunciation: \in-'strəkt\
    Function: transitive verb
    Etymology: Middle English, from Latin instructus, past participle of instruere, from in- + struere to build — more at structure
    Date: 15th century

1 : to give knowledge to : teach, train
    2 : to provide with authoritative information or advice <the judge instructed the jury>
    3 : to give an order or command to : direct
    synonyms see teach, command

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/instruct

in-struct

–verb (used with object)
    1. to furnish with knowledge, esp. by a systematic method; teach; train; educate.
    2. to furnish with orders or directions; direct; order; command: The doctor instructed me to diet.
    3. to furnish with information; inform; apprise.
    4. Law. (of a judge) to guide (a jury) by outlining the legal principles involved in the case under consideration.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/instruct?view=uk

instruct

• verb 1 direct or command. 2 teach. 3 inform of a fact or situation. 4 chiefly Brit. authorize (a solicitor or barrister) to act on one’s behalf.

— ORIGIN Latin instruere ‘construct, equip, teach’.

13. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Eh - you rebel, you! It's still on F & V's own website, though - ha ha -nowt you can do about that :p Name of the game innit - b s'ing.

Eh, I've been away a week and things are hotting up around here!

14. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

I saw those results on the IDO website, too but as you say, taken off. I can vouch for the veracity of your assertion - but whether anyone will believe either of us ;)

15. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Re: interesting confusion

Thanks Zoopsia, I was not aware that there could be such a relevant difference between these terms.

First of all, I would describe myself as a fill-in instructor.
    To call Karin "my teacher" means, that we discuss on an interlectual level, bc. I have a deeper interest in her dancing-philosphy and accept her motion-concepts. Karin´s teacher again is John Neumeier.

From older posts you know that I used to chafe at these more traditional syllabus of Todaro or Pugliese, and was attracted by the ideas of Naveira.

Hope this may help to clarify?

16. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

Thanks.

And most odd.

17. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

I think the IDO website just keeps a fixed number of past year's results on there.. nothing sinister ;)

18. ant

ant Member

You appear to be talking from personal experience and have obviously spent time working out that you cannot teach a chair to dance but can instruct it to (how I don't know)

Personally speaking, only an idiot would try to teach or instruct a chair to dance.

19. Zoopsia59

Of course, if you're Fred Astaire, you could LEAD a chair to dance.

20. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

How can anyone disbelieve someone with Malcolm Tucker as their sig?