Country and Western > How do you shuffle?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by pygmalion, Oct 19, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Anybody here from Texas? I've been out googling on C&W dance styles, and I keep bumping into various shuffle dances.

So what the heck is shuffle (or shuffle variants) Where is it done, and what does it look like?

2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

There are some salsa moves with the word "shuffle" in them. Usually consist of fast & repetitive forward-backward moves. (I'm working on a heel shuffle now. ) They look pretty cool! 8)

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

There are literally 100's of C&W dances with shuffles in them, however the basic shuffle step (you didn't google this???):

The Shuffle is three steps to two beats of music:
    1. Step forward with your left foot.
    & Quickly bring your right foot next to your left foot and step down
    2. Quickly step forward with your left foot

Just reverse these steps for a right foot lead. This move is sometimes refered to as a step-together-step even a Polka step, and in some areas called the Triple Step. The shuffle step differs from the CHA CHA Step in that there is NO rocking motion involved.

Some of the more popular shuffle-stepping C&W dances: the Sixteen Step (not to be confused with the famous 10 Step), the Ski Bumpus, and the Southside Shuffle . . .

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I forgot . . . your moving, correct?

You'll need to learn to dance all over again there . . . :wink:

5. jmarkiemark

jmarkiemark New Member

We are just learning the "Dallas Shuffle" (what they call it in Ft Worth....in Dallas, they just call it "The Shuffle")

Does anyone know where you can find lists of songs that are appropriate for the different dances (namely The Shuffle)?

How do you know which dance to do to which song?

Thanks!
    Mark

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the dances/music in question jmarkiemark, just wanted to welcome you to the Dance Forums! :D

Hopefully someone else can be of help...

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

While you are learning, watch what eveyone else is doing, and then jump in . . . whether you know it or not. The C&W dancers all started this way, and they are a very forgving lot!

Soo, you'll be able to equate particular songs (and beats, drive, etc) to specific steps . . . whether its a plain old shuffle, or a Carolina Shuffle (The 16 Step), or the dances that have shuffle in them, i.e., The Ten Step and Cotton-Eyed Joe, etc. Many, many of your traveling C&W dances have the shuffle in them, and it should take you about 15 minutes to learn how to the shuffle well enough to use in those dances.

8. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Most dances can be done to any song with a similar beat. A lot of time, though, as you learn the dances there will be a slow song, and a fast song to which you'll learn/practice. Usually those are the same songs people dance that particular dance to.

9. Lrn2dnc

Lrn2dnc New Member

Ft Worth Shuffle is danced
    Walk-1
    Walk-2
    Walk-3
    Tri-4
    ple -&
    Step-5
    Tri -6
    ple-&

start over

It also has a visual "V" characteristic.

For more info, contact Terry Lewis in DFW area

10. cwjunkie385

cwjunkie385 New Member

know what to dance to what?

Hello. here is a small sample on the types of songs and there respective dance. hope this helps.

the shuffle(fort worth shuffle)= pop a top by Alan Jackson
    stars in the water by George Strait
    little ways by Dwight Yoakam
    back when by Tim Mcgraw
    Quick step= suds in a bucket by Sra Evans
    Jacob's ladder by Mark Wills
    chattahoochee by Alan Jackson
    redneck woman by Gretchen Wilson
    two step= neon moon by Brooks and Dunn
    livin' on love by Alan Jackson
    sticks and stones by Tracy Lawrence
    amarillo by morning by Gerge Strait
    waltz= alibis by Tracy Lawrence
    you look so good in love by George Strait

11. cwjunkie385

cwjunkie385 New Member

know what to dance to what?

Hello. here is a small sample on the types of songs and there respective dance. hope this helps.

the shuffle(fort worth shuffle)
    pop a top by Alan Jackson
    stars in the water by George Strait
    little ways by Dwight Yoakam
    back when by Tim Mcgraw

Quick step
    suds in a bucket by Sra Evans
    Jacob's ladder by Mark Wills
    chattahoochee by Alan Jackson
    redneck woman by Gretchen Wilson

two step
    neon moon by Brooks and Dunn
    livin' on love by Alan Jackson
    sticks and stones by Tracy Lawrence
    amarillo by morning by Gerge Strait

waltz
    alibis by Tracy Lawrence
    you look so good in love by George Strait

12. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I have been doing some work in Wikipedia, and, after having looked at the country western dance entry, think it is very inadequate (hope no one here created that page).
    The article lists "shuffle" as one of the country western partner dances. Not where I come from. I sort of agree with Vince, that it is pretty much a triple step, although there are dances with "shuffle" in the name, and shuffles in the dance itself.
    Do you guys think "shuffle" deserves the same status as two step, waltz, etc, as a country western partner dance listed in a Wikipedia article?
    Please vote if you dance country western.

13. kayak

kayak Active Member

I never hear anyone use the term shuffle to describe a specific type of dance. Everyone I know calls them 2-step, triple step etc.

14. CGInTheSand

CGInTheSand New Member

Shuffle (Ft. Worth Shuffle)

I vote "yes". The Shuffle (also known as the Ft. Worth Shuffle) is a lead and follow dance (as opposed to a patterned partner dance).

I think the confusion comes in because of the step sequence known as the shuffle, which appears in many, many patterned partner dances (such as the 16 Step) and also in many lead and follow dances. For example, the timing for the Ft. Worth Shuffle is 1 2 3 4&5 6&1 (as Lrn2dnc pointed out several posts ago in this thread). So the 4&5 and the 6&1 are going to be shuffles. I guess that must be how the overall dance got its name! The Ft. Worth Shuffle includes 2 shuffles as part of its basic step sequence.

(So to avoid confusion, I gave the step called the shuffle a small "s" whenever I referred to it, and gave the lead and follow dance known as the Shuffle a capital "S".)

Both the United Country Western Dance Council (UCWDC) and the American Country Dance Association (ACDA) recognize the Ft. Worth Shuffle as a lead and follow dance.

I am by no means an expert on the Shuffle, though, so while I agree that there should be a Wikipedia entry for it, I would be utterly unqualified to write that entry.

15. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I shuffle one foot at a time.... ;-)

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

If you can Cha Cha . . . you can do the shuffle.

It's nearly the same as the 4&1 counts in the cha . . . as in 1, 2, 3, 4&1, but do the cha cha cha (the 4&1) continuosly while moving forward and switching the lead foot . . . left cha cha cha, right cha cha cha, and so on . . .

17. kayak

kayak Active Member

Do you hook the back leg? How is it different from just a triple step or polka?

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Normally "no," but you can if you want to . . . I have!

19. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

For the first time I can remember (I've been doing this for over 10 years) one of our dance instructors here in the Portland area taught the Forth Worth Shuffle. (I understand he was sidelined for several years after an accident with a large hooved animal.)
    He was very clear the the two shuffles start with the man steppting on his right foot. I love the origin story at this url http://www.eijkhout.net/rad/dance_specific/countrywestern5.html
    So, does anyone disagree that the first of the two shuffles starts with the man stepping on his right foot?

P.S. I had a talk with one of the gals who wondered if Fort Worth Shuffle would catch on at this club. I'm thinking it won't because people will do either two step or West Coast to all of the songs he used to teach.
    And, Fort Worth Shuffle could easily be seen as triple two (on the other foot).

20. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Starting on the right . . . well, I think that would be the call of the choreographer or whoever made up the dance.

Having said that, in every C&W line dance and couple dance that I know, the man starts the shuffle with his left!!! Ten Step, Cotton-Eyed Joe, and so on...

Excerpted from a glossary of C&W dance step descriptions:

SHUFFLE
    A triple step similar to a Polka step with no lilt (says NTA) EXAMPLE: SHUFFLE FORWARD LEFT 1 Step forward left & Bring the right foot up to the heel of the left foot 2 Step forward left Note: From a technical stand point, a shuffle would be smooth, a polka would have lilt (bounce), and a cha-cha would have Cuban Motion. This may be of little or no concern to the social dancer especially the beginner.

However, it's not a hard-fast rule!