Ballroom Dance > Videos > how does this work? samba and quickstep?

Discussion in 'Videos' started by ballroomdancertoo, Sep 21, 2017.

1. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

can anyone explain how this timing works, is it just the song or can any samba song be danced with quickstep?

2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

First of all, I'm one of those crazy people who believe that any dance can be done to any song. Whether or not it would look good is another kettle of fish. I think this couple didn't pick the right song for this though. It's a great samba but it doesn't work for QS IMO.

The song below IMO is excellent for illustrating the "fusability" of samba and quickstep. Listen to it and see if you can hear it.

3. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

thanks,ajiboyet, that song pops out only as a quickstep. I've used this song for quickstep. cant quick fit it in with samba. are you able to dub in the music with a samba routine? Yeah, eso beso sounds strickly sambaish as I used it as a samba, but the quickstep portion somehow I thought made sense.

4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I would take the opposite position, when we talk of culture, musicality, and tradition. Samba is 2/4, Quickstep in 4/4, the instrumentation and the atmosphere usually are different. Only when you count in bars per minute, the tempo is different, but musicians and social dancers usually count in bpm which means beats per minute.
    But those who put the emphasis on the sportive aspects may of course dance everything to everything.

5. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

LOL. I basically said this in the next sentence.

opendoor likes this.