Swing Discussion Boards > How does WCS Pro-Am Work?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by pygmalion, Mar 22, 2013.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Anybody know? One of the two swing events that will be held near here this year has a pro-am division, (It's actually called the Pro-Am Jam. I'm going to go spectate.) but I can't pull up the details because my browser doesn't support Java. I'm pretty sure Vince A and his wife used t compete pro-am in WCS, but have no idea how it works.

From what I've been finding, it seems relatively uncommon, maybe because of the prevalence of Jack and Jills.

Anybody?

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

The comps around here usually have WCS events, and it works like every other dance at those comps. Is that you meant, or something else?

3. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I think she meant at a swing convention. Jenn, the only pro-am events I've seen were jack & jills. They generally do not have pro-am events in the ballroom sense, although I suppose it's possible.

4. pygmalion

Thanks guy and gal. I did mean at a swing convention, and I can't visualize how a pro-am Jack and Jill would work. So I pay a pro to come dance with someone else? Huh?

I also am most familiar with ballroom pro-am, in which you pay a pro to dance a predetermined number of dances with you. I'm trying to wrap my mind around the similarities and differences.

5. Siggav

Siggav Active Member

There are showcases at swing events too, I would guess the pro-am would be a pro and am choreographed routine or showcase. Those are less celebrated than the Jack and Jills etc. but they're still there.

The competitions are usually:
    Jack and Jill - random partner, random song
    Strictly - you have a chosen partner but get a random song
    Routines/Showcases - pre choreographed to a song you choose with a chosen partner

I'd guess the pro-am falls into that last one, I'd guess you'd only do the one dance/performance with your pro if you're doing that.

Edit: Reading your original post better. A jam is when people are in a half circle (or a full circle if its a spontaneous jam circle on the social floor) and then couples take turns showing off in the middle of the circle during the same song. If it's a competition there'll be a fixed number of 8 counts that each couple gets. It's mostly not choreographed really but couples have often practiced up flashy moves to pull out when it suits in a jam, so that's like the one occasion you'll see aerials on the social floor in lindy. I'd imagine it'd be something similar in WCS

6. pygmalion

Thanks. That's what I find confusing. This particular comp has a few jam sessions scheduled, but that seems to be separated from pro-am. I went back and re-read. You're right. There is a section for routines, that includes pro-am. But there's also a pro-am novice and intermediate strictly swing finals, etc.

But nowhere does anything spell out what any of this means. I guess they figure you'll have a pro or a friend explain it to you. *sigh*

7. pygmalion

Oh yeah and I will DEFINITELY be there. Here's what the contest rules say. And the contest is at the airport hotel that is less than a half hour's drive from my house. :) I can't wait to see all the different types of swing dance. :)

How awesome is that?

8. twnkltoz

That explains why they have jams and things I haven't really seen. So if they have pro-am strictly swing, that means you can pay your teacher to dance with you just like you do in ballroom. A pro-am Jack & Jill means that all the amateur girls draw a professional leader out of a hat, and all the amateur boys draw a professional follower out of the hat. You don't have to pay them, you only pay for the competition.

9. pygmalion

Thanks. That helps it make more sense. This convention is Memorial Day weekend. (Last weekend in May, Siggav) I'll go and take notes and then come back and report what I found out.

I'm also considering taking the Skippy Blair intensive or if not, some privates with one of her proteges. :)

Siggav and twnkltoz like this.
  10. twnkltoz

How fun to see you getting all fired up about swing!

pygmalion likes this.
  11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

:)

12. pygmalion

Yes. 15 hours of instruction. $250. I'm only bummed that she taught her last intensive last year. Now,her students are the ones doing the training.

13. Dancegal

Dancegal Member

I would recommend the one that Sharlot Bott and Mark Scheuffele will teach at USA Grand Nationals Atlanta Thursday May 23-Friday May 24 (starts Thursday morning). Hotel event discount is available for Wednesday so you can do this even if not attending dance event. Sharlot is a legend US Open Champion and an amazing teacher (took Skippy intensive with her teaching as well). Sharlot and Mark and great together so that's the one I would recommend.

14. twnkltoz

I went to a workshop with Sharlot and Mark recently. They were awesome.

15. pygmalion

Thanks for the recommendations. :) There's another workshop being held in DFW, where I live, on the same weekend. It's being taught by Mary Ann Nunez and Sarah Grusmark. Do those names sound familiar to anyone? Recommendations?

16. twnkltoz

I don't know Sarah, but Mary Ann is a FANTASTIC dancer. I haven't had a workshop from her, but I'm sure it will be good.

17. pygmalion

Awesome. Thanks. :)

18. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

In the AT thread you, pygmalion, asked about pedigree. In AT I said it doesn't much matter, here it applies.

Mary Ann, Sarah, and Sharlott Bott have been part of Skippy Blair's GSDTA, and her "Dance Dynamics" for a number of years (many years I think). So, you have a direct connection there to someone who has been involved with WCS from pretty much the beginning, and has been very influential. And for good reason.
    That's the kind of "pedigree" I don't think exists with AT.

19. pygmalion

The schedule looks really great. More than worth the cost, especially since I live close enough to commute and wouldn't' need to pay hotel fees. :)

Thursday - May 23rd, 2013
    12:00-1:30 pm Sarah Intro to Skippy’s Universal Unit System & Dance Rhythms
    1:30–3:00 pm Mary Ann Rolling Count & the Spaces Between the Units
    3:00-4:30 pm Sarah Motion Study/Drills that take your Dancing Up a Notch
    4:30-6:00 pm Mary Ann Handholds, Elastic Stretch, Body Leads, Action and Reaction
    6:00-7:30 pm BREAK
    7:30-8:30 pm Sarah Building from the Basics - Nice & Easy
    8:30-9:30 pm Mary Ann Easy Way to Extend a Pattern

Friday - May 24th, 2013
    10:00-11:30 pm Sarah Terminology: Movement in Action
    11:30 - 1:00 pm Mary Ann Terminology: Music & Timing Elements A & B
    1:00-2:00 pm BREAK
    2:00-3:30 pm Mary Ann Individual Musical Interpretation
    3:30-5:00 pm Sarah (group pic at start of class) Practice Exam-Info for All
    5:00-6:00 pm Mary Ann Seven Techniques to Improve your Spins & Turns

20. Dancegal

Dancegal Member

Pygmalion, I have had lessons from all of them and I prefer Sharlot and Mark the best. NO ONE can teach "Walk Like a Dancer" (although you probably don't need this :) ) like Sharlot can. I could take her class over and over!

twnkltoz likes this.