General Dance Discussion > How far would you go when...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by salsarhythms, Apr 14, 2003.

1. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

Ok, let me share with you a true story:

It's Friday night, and 2 friends and I were on our way to the club. I'm in the passenger seat and my friend is driving.

I notice she's coming up to a RED light but does not seem to slow down. A few seconds later....

BAM!! Car accident. And it was bad.

After the cops came and took everyone's statements, the tow truck came by
    and towed the car (there was not way to drive it after that...)

No one was injured so....

We WALKED the rest of the way to the club!!

Now that's commitment... =)

So, the question is, in light of this situation, I was wondering...

How far would you go (or have gone) when your night seems like it's ruined,
    but despite the problems, still manage to go out dancing?

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

The Moderate Commitment Story:

Also true story...with a friend driving towards downtown to hit a salsa club: blow a tire on the freeway (probably doing 65-70mph), find that jack is missing from the trunk (still don't know how or why), so have to call AAA to change tire...but find out that donut isn't in great shape -- so use it to drive back to her place, pick up her car, and go anyway.

3. Laura

Laura New Member

A friend of mine was driving several hundred miles to a dance competition and lost control of her car and rolled it off the freeway (as in she flipped over). Her car was totalled. She walked away from the accident, though. She then called her family and had them pick her up and they continued to the competition, where of course she danced (and made her final).

4. SDsalsaguy

The More Hard-Core Commitment Story:

I have a bad back and, a couple of weeks before my first competition, really injured it – five vertebrae and three rib heads out of place. I could barely walk. Well, about as many visits to the chiropractor as you can actually cram into two weeks later, it was quite painful (and believe me, that’s an understatement) but I was at the point where, as much as it might hurt, I wasn’t at risk of any more structural damage – so, of course, I competed!

5. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

One night I did a performance at the High Museum of Art here in Atlanta. At the very end I did a dip. As I looked down to grab my partner, my partner was coming up. Our heads collided. I was extremely dizzy and could barely walk. The lights kept wavering and things were spinning. I think I had a slight concussion.

The problem was I had to teach a class of about 5 miles up the road in 10 minutes. I drove myself to the club and taught the class. It was a pretty scary road trip. I probably appeared drunk as I taught, but such is the life of a devoted teacher. :D

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You guys are really committed! Or else, you should be committed. I'm not sure which! :lol: :D

Anybody else have great stories like this?

7. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

This isn't quite on the level of the other stories, but about a year ago my boyfriend and I were practicing and aerial we call "The butterfly kicks" I'm not good at explaining these things. But anyways, we were at a dance outdoors and while the band was on a break we were practicing this for the first time over a grassy meadow. Well he lifted me up in the air, and me being a novice at this sort of thing thought, "wow I'm up really high" and as I had this thought I looked down -- throwing off my center and balance. I plumetted towards the ground head-first, tried to break my fall with my hand, sprained my thumb, and bruised a few ribs in the process. :oops:

The band started playing about five minutes later and we were back on the dancefloor. I was having so much fun that night that I couldn't stop dancing even if I had possibly done some damage to my body. Yup, I had the sickness even back then. :lol:

8. pygmalion

I forgot about the time several months ago when I was still taking classes at two dances studios. Both studios scheduled their monthly outings on the same night, and I drove about 40 miles in the pouring rain to get from one dance to the other, so I could at least make a showing at both. I found out the next day that it had rained something like three inches in that hour I was driving, and there were power outages, lightning strikes, car accidents and flooding in a fifty mile radius. But at least I got to dance. :lol:

9. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I'm a wuss when it comes to dnce commitment, school work has kept me away for nearly a month!

Not that I feel too horrible about that, grad school should take precidence over social dancing. I'm thinking of a way to make both work... hmmm....

any suggestions?

10. SDsalsaguy

Wellllllllllll.......... you could always write your disertation on -- oh wait, I'm already doing that! :wink:

11. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

how far would you go

Oh, I'm so glad it's not just me...I love the story about the accident (you know what I mean, I'm glad you're all safe and sound), but hey, if you're all OK, there's only one way to retrieve the night! :)

Seriously, I think the worst thing I did was I came back from an interstate work trip and went straight from the airport to my dancing lesson. They thought I was mad. I'd been up since 4am, had two hours sleep, it was now 8pm and in that time I'd been interstate and back...then we went out to a salsa bar tilll 1am, I got up at 7am, went to work, went straight to a dancing lesson and then to a social, which lasted till about 1am. Then on the next morning the whole process repeated itself, I returned home at about 1 am and collapsed. I spent the next two days in bed...it was awful, but fantastic and I'd do it again! :)

then there was the time I went overseas for a business trip and skipped off on drinkies with the execs to visit a local salsa bar...!!!

12. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

how far would you go

I can't believe I'm actually making myself sound so pathetic, but then there was also the time when I had two hours between a funeral and the wake and rang my dance instructor to see if he could fit me in in the two hours...hmm...not that I read that back, it don't look so great! :)

13. SDsalsaguy

Well this past weekend I arrived in Las Vegas for a friend's wedding on two and a half hours sleep... after the rehearsal and dinner it was already 10:30pm and I was just ready to crash... but ended up at a salsa club until 2:00am. The next morning saw me up, rewriting my speech, and heading off to do pre-ceremony photos, etc. Well, by the time the ceremony and reception were over it was 11:30pm already so, rather then wasting any time heading back to our own hotels to change one of the bride's maids and I hightailed it back to the salsa club, she in her bride's maid dress and me in my tuxedo, where we stayed until 3:00am (mind you, I had to be up at 6:30am to pack and catch my shuttle to the airport)... :lol:

14. pygmalion

Did you get photos of you and the bridesmaid all duded up? Hmm? :D

15. SDsalsaguy

Not at the salsa club unfortunately, no cameras were in site. When my buddy gets back the shots of his weeding though I'm hoping they'll be at least of couple of us in our "soon to be salsa" duds!

16. pygmalion

Cool. If you get some pix, don't forget to post! :D

17. SDsalsaguy

Will do Jenn. (As if I would forget to post photos! :roll: :wink: )

18. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:roll: were these photos ever posted :roll: :wink: