General Dance Discussion > How long did it take you all to become a pro?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by SPratt74, May 4, 2006.

1. Whirling Dervish

Whirling Dervish New Member

Maybe you're not a parent but you were a child--that qualifies you, yes? :)

I think what your uncle did was just ridiculous. Dragging you physically? That's like, abusive. No wonder you didn't want to play again!

You bring up a good point, Peaches. Children should be encouraged to continue, and not be allowed to quit just because it involves "a little bit of work." But when it gets to the point you described, it needs to be let go by everyone.

I used to have a viola student who hated it and wanted to play the piano. His attitude was going downhill daily. His mom made him finish out the school year, which was only a few months, and told him if he could finish that commitment she'd let him try piano. He finished it with a great attitude knowing he was going to be able to make the sound he really liked very soon. He is going to university as a piano major--and viola minor. His attitude is still very good and he's a wonderful pianist. They ahd some practice push-pull, but it was part of him being a teenager I think.

I have also seen it go the other way. There are a couple of sisters at the University where I teach who were forced to play the violin. One loved it, the other hated it--the one who hated it also majors in music. She uses the reason that if she is going to be forced to play she might as well enjoy it.

But she majors in music because, as she says, it's all she was allowed to know, and all she knows. I think this was horribly wrong.

What do you guys all think?

2. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I really don't know if we should push our children to follow a certain activity. I think it's a good idea to introduce them to several different activities and perhaps push them a little if they start whining about practice, but not push them if they show they really don't want it.

T_E

3. Whirling Dervish

And I tend to think an attentive parent will know when the child really hates something and when they're just being whiny-butts. There were things I made my kids finish, but other things I let go simply because they began showing signs of extreme hatred.

I figured when the vomiting started it was time to let them quit. :rolleyes:

4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, my dad said to me when I wanted to quit band in high school, "What else do you know? How are you going to get to college?" I think though sometimes that a parent will push a child into something, because they know that the child could possibly get a scholarship etc. if they go to college. Well, that happened to me and my music. To be honest, I never got the grades back then, because I was always in the band room. I never studied. It was always practice... practice... practice.

The only thing good that I can remember out of all of it was when I was a junior in high school, I beat out all of the seniors for first chair lol. All of the seniors complained that they shouldn't have to audition for chairs. But to me I still gloat at that lol.

But was it wrong for my dad to say that? Yes probably. But at the time the parent is probably thinking more about how I'm going to get this kid through college if they don't play, which yes is selfish, but I don't hate him for saying that to me though. I understand as a kid why he said that to me even though I do wish sometimes I was allowed to do other things.

5. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

You know, I've had several people say to me "You should push your son into sports so that he can get a scholarship in college". But I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of pushing a child into an activity for a distant possibility of getting a scholarship that way. I really want him to do things like arts or sports or anything outside school curriculum because he enjoys it.

6. Whirling Dervish

There are plenty of other grants and scholarships available these days. I swear there is one for everyone; if you're a left handed red headed stepchild of a sterile woman who is half Irish I bet there's one out there. It's amazing.

7. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh I know. I was approved of a little over $2400 for each semester at my school. That's why it's hard for me to leave. But I think it's like what my mom had said, that maybe I can go back to Culinary School or something that I really enjoy this time, because my classes are paid for with some cash on top of that thanks to our government. I mean my college classes only cost around $1000 each semester sometimes up to $1200 depending on the number of credits, so I have money left over just for me lol.

However, this was not the case years ago. I was lucky to get into college with my grades.;)