Salsa > how long it takes to become a decent club dancer?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by yoyao, Sep 6, 2003.

?

how long it takes to become a decent club dancer?

1. less than a yr

100.0%
  2. 1 yr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2 yr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3 yr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 4 yr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. yoyao

yoyao New Member

:idea:

2. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

It really depends on what you mean by 'decent', and the amount of dedication. I answered a year, but I have a friend that has only been dancing 4 months and he's REALLY good.

3. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I also voted in a year. As Youngsta mentions, it is dependant on the effort put forth. It also depends on what you mean by "decent" dancer. As we've seen, some people take less than a year & some still (5 yrs later) look as they did when they first started.

Desire...

4. yoyao

yoyao New Member

by mean decent, I mean you can pretty much blind in among the crowd, you weren't be noticed by showing off or by too awful. I was in salsa club yesterday and it seems the guy there all have at least around 3 yrs dancing experience under the belt. the only guy I noticed dance worse than me is a guy who dance the basic the entire song. :shock:

5. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Ohhhh... Yeap, it will be about a year to blend in, or you can go to places where noone cand can dance, then you'll stand out. :D

I love watching beginners dance. They look so awkard in their own skin, then in a few months the blossom. It is a great sight. It's like watching a baby grow.

Stick with it, soon you'll be one of those guys that who seems to be better than everyone else. Always know that they too went through what you are going through.

6. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Varies widely. Some people, in all honesty, will never become one -- for many reasons (they aren't coordinated enough to dance ANY style of dance -- I'm not being mean, we all know they're out there! :) -- , they have no rhythm (you can't really learn rhythm, sorry!) -- or they just don't care to).

I started knowing the salsa basic step and basically nothing else. I had done some ECS, lindy, and the basics of rumba, cha-cha, fox trot, and waltz. I just started going out and got past my "I stink" attitude and quickly learned that I didn't. After a few months people would ask me how long I'd been dancing (mostly casual dancers, not the flashy types) and were surprised at my response.

Melissa

7. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I knew a guy who was winning some of the biggest Salsa contests in Atlanta after a little over a year. He had no dance experience before that except a little Greek dancing. He was from Santorini. He danced EVERY night for at least 4 hours. He was not a fast learner, but he became an excellent club dancer in six months.

melody43,
    It does vary widely, but I think a majot factor is the level of commitment.
    Do you agree?

8. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Yep! I've only been dancing a year, but 9 months of that time I was out in clubs dancing 4-5 nights a week. Add on to that all the time I spent practicing on my own and it adds up. Someone who dances only once a week during that same period probably won't be at the same level.

9. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

DanceMentor --

Yes, commitment is a huge factor. But I still stand by my "can't teach (or learn) rhythm" theory ... Unfortunately I have seen this to be true in many settings. I've played a variety of instruments throughout my life, some of which I learned and or played in group settings (i.e. orchestra). I've seen dancers who took lessons upon lessons and learned many moves, but executed those moves poorly because they could not execute them properly -- the wrong timing, too slowly, too quickly, and so on.

Some people are naturals, some people are able to overcome shortcoming in natural ability through commitment/training, and some will always have a difficult time despite training and commitment. But as long as they are having fun -- that's what matters! I'd rather dance with a lead who does a FEW moves competently if that is his ability range than a lead who is ambitious beyond his scope but is overall a rough ride.

Melissa

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hey mellody43.

Rough ride. That is such a great way to desribe it. :lol:

A couple things I'd like to say in response to your post.

First, you're right. Prior training in music or other forms of dance gives you a huge advantage over others who are new. HUGE. And some people really do have a natural sense of rhythm, and some are naturally better dancers. True.

But motivation does play a big role. As you may have guessed, I have a story. :lol:

I met F, a really nice gentleman, two years ago. Adequate dancer, atrocious rhythm. Awful, especially when you consider that his favorite dance was three-count hustle! That's a tough dance, rhythmically. And he couldn't get it. All the counting in the world didn't help him, not even on a waltz! After a while, he stopped taking lessons. Six months later, he showed back up at the studio with his new fiance, to learn a wedding routine. When I saw F and his fiance do their practice run, the man had rhythm. He danced on time. He was in love, and that made all the difference. I think people can be taught, if they have the motivation. You just have to find the motivation.

And as for the guys who want to show off how many moves they can do, I'm with you. Just ego. The really good dancers can make a few basic moves look great, while mediocre dancers add steps, thinking that makes them look good.