Tango Argentino > How many adornos do you need?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by larrynla, May 10, 2009.

1. larrynla

larrynla Member

Figures are a man's game. Women need adornos to add to the figures to express themselves, to become equal partners in the dance.

What do you suggest?

Laer

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Larry, I'm surprised to see you post this. There are lots of ways for women to become "more equal".
    Is this a gambit for people to discuss them (again? but never all that well because it isn't often taught and takes better dancers and men who accept it but really skillful women who do it without the men knowing they are doing it?)

3. larrynla

larrynla Member

topics of especial interest to women

Going back to March I don't see any threads devoted to women's ways of dancing, much less ways for women to become "more equal." If there were any posts relating to this they were all embedded inside other topics.

Surely it's not too strange to introduce a topic of especial interest to women?

Laer Carroll

4. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Uh-hum! Correction: Figures are a "Leader's" game. (On behalf of all those wonderful lady leaders out there;)). And adornos can be used by both leader and follower.

5. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

They need to know all the Jennifer's adornos, plus their own adornos. And then, one figure by the man, one adorno, another figure, another adorno, and so on.

6. larrynla

larrynla Member

Thanks!

I kneel, humbly accepting your correction, shame vivid upon my face.

Thanks!

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

uuuups !? wrong thread ? or open to leaders, too ? I need 6.

-a very slow Lapis with a countermove in the sholder,
    -Tapping with the soles (can´t remember the spanish term actually),
    -Tapping with the heals, if it won´t go on,
    -Tapping with the toes, if a woman is going to steal my show,
    -an energetic backX in the sandwich,
    -and fine Rulos within the turns.

WR
    OD

8. jantango

jantango Active Member

Adornos aren't necessary in social tango

I don't add embellishments/adornos or whatever you want to call them. They aren't necessary in tango. They are used in stage choreography.

When you think about what you want to do with your feet, you can't dance what you feel in the music. There is no connection. Then what's the point? Your partner can't see what you're doing anyway. Are you trying to please an audience or your partner when you dance?

9. opendoor

Hi jantango, I think I can. Tapping comes with the rhythm, and with the music. When doing a Lapis, or Sandwich you look to your partner, and this is a strong expression of passion and gesture.

OD

10. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I'm trying to please myself when I do them. It can add to my connection to the music.

11. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

don't add embellishments

Bravo Jan
    If it's one thing I hate It's to be in the moment and WHAM she adds an embellishment. I believe that when tango is danced well the leader will be skilled enough to show off the follower by executing the figures and allowing her to retain her balance and axis. That's all she needs to dance and look good. By adding adornos it takes away from the flow of the lead. My partner uses adornos when she dances with other less skillful leaders but when she dances with me there's no need to embellish. If I invite someone to dance and she turns out to be a embellish freak...Thank you after one dance...

12. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Then same question could be posed to the person seated on a stool at a bar and they tapping their fingers/bobbing their head/knocking their foot against the side to the thumping beats of a particular track that's being played which they like. Who are they trying to please when they do this? The barstaff? Their fellow drinkers?

13. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

You say you hate her adding an embellishment. Figures or bellishments. What's the difference? Your leading her to perform, say, a front ocho could be just as annoying for her could it not. Perhaps all she wants to do is walk back and side step.

Give me an example

14. opendoor

Hi heather, its going to be a follower´s thread again. What about us leaders?

cheers

15. Me

Me New Member

I disagree. :)

Badly executed embellishments will disturb the lead, go against the music, hit other couples on the floor, etc.

Embellishments are the follow's opportunity to contribute to the conversation... without changing the subject or interrupting the lead. It makes no difference to the lead if I immediately collect on a back ocho, or beat my foot across my ankle before collecting to complete the back ocho.

16. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, a step executed with precision, polish, assurance and grace is about as lovely as anything can be

So how many adornos does a social follower NEED?

None.

17. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Would like to add that the longer I do AT, the fewer embellishments I find myself wanting to add.

Maybe when I've perfected just doing the step itself properly, I'll be interested in putting in more. The times that other followers have complimented my dancing or told me I was "exquisite" or "lovely" and wanted to either dance like me or learn from me were all times that I danced simply and cleanly (with my foot being a natural extension of a controlled body)

When I teach followers who want to embellish the "secret" of how to fit them in, they usually realize they are a long way from being able to execute them with any style or control, and they forget about them for awhile in order to develop better basic habits and technique. And then they decide they dont' need to embellish as much as they thought.

Or they get impatient with learning to do the basics properly (don't we all at various times?) and they go somewhere else to learn.

18. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

There are very few followers who can put in adornos without some interruption to the lead. But I dont mind. It's a conversation and Im not just talking I'm also listening..

19. opendoor

Oh, that was well said ! But with this concept in mind, a step is an adorno, isnt it?

20. bafonso

bafonso New Member

You need how many you feel like the music tells you to do so without getting in the way of the lead.