General Dance Discussion > How many beginners/lurkers do we have here?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Aug 25, 2004.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I told someone at my dance studio to take a look at the Dance Forums. The next week he told me he thought the Dance Forums was pretty cool, but had posted. Then again this week he said was still lurking but had not yet posted.

He said that he might have some questions about steps, but wasn't sure how to use the right terminology, as well as how to actually visualize what people were talking about. He also said there were a lot of very knowledgeable people.

So I would like to ask a couple of questions:
    1) Are there many people here who have been dancing less than one year? If so, do you feel comfortable posting your questions here?
    2) Any lurkers here? (In other words, are there some people who read quite frequently, but rarely post)

I ask these question to make sure that people are comfortable here, especailly beginners, and I hope you will find that beginner's questions are welcomed, and that there are lots of people who are all too happy to answer in a friendly manner.

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree with you DM. I joined df as a beginner who didn't really know his left from his right, and that was back in the days when df was small, tiny!! I have never felt that I shouldn't ask a question because of my lack of "technospeak", and even when I have expressed poorly others have been kind enough to figure out what I want through asking me questions. I'm still a beginner and people are still "kind" to me. :D

3. dance-fanatic

dance-fanatic New Member

He, I'm definitely what you call a lurker! :oops:

I do read quite frequently, I only post every now and then, I'm not quite sure what the reasons. I do find very interesting and helpful discussions here (plus friendly environment). Some of the reasons why I don't post frequently include:
    - I don't know much about the topic
    - Have similar opinion with somebody who has voiced his/her opinion
    - Unsure about the topic
    - Haven't felt totally comfortable with voicing my opinion here. You know how most people would be more reserved when they first met someone and not know what kind of things would be offensive to that person. It's not the same but similar feelings. :oops:

But at least writting this now! :D

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Hopefully a sign of more of the same to come! :cheers:

5. dance-fanatic

dance-fanatic New Member

:oops: Will try! :roll: err... trying... :lol:
    Thanks though. :)

6. Diavo

Diavo New Member

I've always found it wise in life for one to listen more than one talks.
    Therefore, I do a lot more reading than posting. :)

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I'm the dorky kind, who talks too much, and doesn't dance enough. Just to hear my teeth rattle :lol:

8. Audrey

Audrey New Member

I'm 1 Day Old... I'm a Newbie...And I'm loving it! :D

9. blue

blue New Member

I am definately a beginner, with a few months behind me. Actually I am in kind of a hiatus right now, waiting for a suitable course to start... so at the moment I do not have so many questions. They will come. 8)

I agree with your student DanceMentor that at first, it seems like everyone here has been dancing for ever. I found my poll a bit reassuring, though, as the most common answer was 1-2 years.
    http://www.dance-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=71800
    It wasn't that extreme.

In general I think it is a clever thing to do when you are new at a board, to lurk for a while and understand the general tone of the forum before you start posting. I think I did that on all forums that I became a long-term participant in, while I never came back to those forums where I registered and posted the first day I saw it...

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

There's certainly something to that blue, and such participants typically end up being longer term members than those who register to ask one question (typically about grinding :roll:) or to advertise their products. :roll: :roll:

What I think DM may be getting at though, is the number of members who almost never post, even when they regularly view the site. This is not to say that they are not fully welcome but, rather, that if there's anything we can do to make people feel more comfortable about posting we'd welcome the input.

Please feel free to PM us (or any of the DF moderators) with any feedback you may have...

11. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I was just hoping some of the lurkers would make some posts, and I wanted to make sure new people felt comfortable posting.

It is the members who make Dance Forums a good place.

Any more new people or lurkers?

12. love2swing

love2swing New Member

Well, I must say that at first I found you guys to be quite intimidating. I lurked for a while before I even registered. You all seem to have been dancing forever and very good at it, and also you all are quite familiar with one another. It was hard for me to get up the courage to post-- so I just registered. Then, I saw one thread that I felt I had to post in, and another, etc. I am still a bit intimidated by everyone here, but slowly it's getting better. Everyone is very nice, so that helps a lot. I love these forums and check them daily, so hopefully I will become less intimidated as more time goes bye. Just my two cents. :D

13. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Honestly, this is not something particular to DF, it is something comon at every forum.

Just take a look at the stats, how many people post in one day, how many people are members, and how many people actually visit de page in a day.

Whatever the subject of a forum is, there are roughly 60 to 70% lurkers.

The majority of the lot is just confortable reading, digging out the information they need from the allready posted topics, and do not need to push their inquiry any further.

Then you have those that would actualy like to post, but are taken aback by the mere fact that everyone seems so knowledgeable they fear their question might sound silly or stupid...

This is something we must pin somewhere in the forum :

It is natural that the forum seems to be about very pointy and specific questions. It is a place manadged by passionate people, animated by passionate people, that live, eat, drink, and breath this passion. So of course, the debates are bound to be pointy.

If you go to a Linux forum, you will get debates about kernel 2.4.6 vs 2.4.2. (that one is more stable but that one alows for NT rw) or the best way to compile the latest Gimp binaries into a debian 3 kernel 2.4.1

If you go to a tuning forum, you will get discussion comparing the latest way to gain 0.1 horsepower on a car that is allready 3 times over the speed limit before you even need to bother about modifying anything from the retail version.

But then again, the very fact that this people are passionate should be the best incentive for newcomers to ask their questions.

Someone who is passionate about something is by essence someone who is willing to share his passion, someone who will go out of his way to help a new person understand his world, explain the basics, and give him the taste for it.

I am sure each and every one of us would be very happy to take someone by the hand in the street and take him to a dance club, explain what dance we love, what the music is, how to get the counts, what the basic steps are, what those people on the floor are doing, and why not, get him/her on the floor for a "quick ride"

It is passion that drives us to those forums, it is passion that brings us to a club every night, it is passion that fuels our debates, our ups and downs, even our everybreath for some.

So talking about our passion, explaining it to someone who has even the most basic of question is never a burden. It will allways be a pleasure.

The mere fact that there are many of us vouches for this : if at any given time someone is tired of answering the same question over and over again, ther will be at least 10 other that have not answered that question lately, or have discovered a new way of phrasing it, or have had a break through and know a better way to put it in simple words, or have begun teaching and so have a whole new insight on the problem at hand...

14. Captain

Captain New Member

I must admit I've been lurker for a few months now... and finally registered! I thought this was a very good time to come from he closet and say hi to everybody... hi!
    I love dancing, but have never took lessons, only danced in bars every weekend. I'm moving away this horrible village next week and then I will check out possibilities again.. Yes, I'm 18 years old girl from Finland.
    I've found these forums very beginner-friendly, keep that up!

Bye

15. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Welcome Audrey! :)

16. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Hi Captain. Welcome! :)

17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Welcome, Audrey. And Welcome, Captain. :D

18. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

It's nice to hear from beginners and former-lurkers :D.

Yes, there's absolutely no need to feel intimidated or worry about sounding silly here. We are a pretty friendly bunch :D. In fact, what makes DF such a useful dance resource is new people turning up to ask questions and offer new perspectives!

19. lundasalsa

lundasalsa New Member

1) One and a half year now, but my progress has not been that fast and I do club salsa dancing maybe 6 times per year.
    2) I lurk mostly. I went through almost all old threads and most issues that less-experienced dancers (such as me) have have already been discussed many times. I'm too inexperienced to add something new to most discussions, and I don't feel like adding empty posts with "Well said!", or just ":) :)", even though there are wonderfully funny anecdotes and insightful comments every now and then.

20. Sabor

Sabor New Member

yes.. i've been too shy to post all this time.. so i took up scitzophrania and developed a whole new 'other self' from my subconcious .. and its been posting eversince.. :mrgreen: .. but shhhh!.. dont tell me because i'm conciously unaware of that! :p