General Dance Discussion > How many beginners/lurkers do we have here?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I'm curious. If your first love and and still is international style ballroom dancing why do you choose to do just AT?

2. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Think I'm a lurker I don't, but beginner I am. Tiny also am. Speak like Yoda, I must. Dirt on suede latin heels, I sure am. Getting better, I hope.

Twilight Elena :D

3. ColinP

ColinP New Member

It's a question of circumstances. I was lucky enough to start ballroom at a very good (but small) dance school, and then after a year or so met a partner who was a perfect match for me, physically and in approach to dance. We danced together for about five years, for much of that period dancing five nights a week.

That came to an end when she had to move out of town (and went on to do quite a bit of competition: she did pretty well once she'd got away from me (!)). And shortly after that the school closed: the owner had been thinking of retiring anyway, and the accountants on the floor below made him an offer he couldn't refuse for the lease....

I carried on dancing at the remaining local school, but this was much more just social dancing. I had various partners, but with none did it work out for anything more serious. It was quite pleasant, but not what I wanted. Eventually I looked around for something more challenging, and that was when I started AT.

This was certainly challenging: we had a very small local AT community at that time, and it was more a matter of helping each other to learn than simply attending classes. Both the dance itself, and the sense of achievement in developing the AT community, were very rewarding.

I finally stopped ballroom entirely, for a slightly odd reason. I'd been dancing for about five years with a little old lady. I'm old (well, I feel it this morning...), but she was a lot older: by then well into her 70s. Doing amazingly well, and very enthusiastic. But I was increasingly having to hold back for her safety, and was worrying that it could be disastrous if I ever forgot. Eventually, after she'd had a couple of funny turns in class, I decided it was getting too risky, and I'd have to stop. She couldn't really accept this, and I felt it would be a kindness to her to keep away from the school.

But yes, I am wondering about getting back into ballroom. At least, if I ever get less crazily busy at work...

....Colin.

4. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Hi Colin. Thanks for the long reply! Have you tried looking into Oxford University's dance society? I think non-students can attend and Oxford's ballroom dancing society I gather is very good (or used to be). Therefore it might be an avenue for you, if you haven't tried them?

5. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

I'm definitley not a lurker. I guess I wrote something the first time I found my way to DF.

I found DF as a very warm and cosy discussionboard. I have meet so many nice, warm ans supportive persons - from the very beginning. I have always felt comfortale even when I'm unsure of the language. It seems like you understand the core of my text even when I misspell so many word. (Like hearth instead of heart :wink: and cock instead of cook :oops: )

I had not developed this fast as a dancer without DF and all your support (8 months dancing and started up as level 3 student last week).

DF har learnt me so much about beeing a salsero and human beeing on the spaceship called earth. I am so grateful!

/Lucretia

6. kyah

kyah New Member

Hi im a lurker. beat it out of me. Few more visits and I am gonna change that. I am enjoying myself reading other posts though! this site is gooooooood :)

7. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

Hello there kyah! Welcome and congratulations on converting yourself from a lurker to a poster! :D :banana:

8. kyah

kyah New Member

first step - admit that i have a problem hehehe thank you so much!

9. Sagitta

Ditto! :)

10. ColinP

ColinP New Member

Yes, they are good (or at least were - I assume they still are). I went a couple of times with a German girl I was dancing AT with, and who turned out to be a ballroom competitor. We had a great time - unfortunately we didn't think to do this till just before she returned home.

I went a few times after that, but it didn't work out. Mature dancers were certainly welcome, but there were only a few and they were all established couples. Attendance was mainly beginners, mostly first year undergraduates who were more comfortable dancing with each other, and the Universtity Dancesport team who wanted to dance with their team-mates.

But I admit I didn't give it a terribly fair trial. And I notice that now they have on their website: "Beginners’ classes on a Friday are for post-grads, mature students and staff only!".

So thanks, Pacion - you may have prodded me into giving it another try (once I get out from under my present crazy workload!).

....Colin

11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words, Colin. And thanks for posting.

I suspect that a lot of people lurk for just the reason you stated. Not all boards are warm and fuzzy. DF isn't always, either. But we try to make life pleasant for everyone, as much as we can. 8)

Good luck with the renewed dance venture. 8)

12. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

Now, this I like. Someone is at least close to my age. Welcome!

13. ColinP

ColinP New Member

At least we get to say "Now I remember, in the good old days..."!

....Colin

14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

15. Sagitta

I already say this!! :?

16. Medira

Medira New Member

I lurked for a long time before registering and made my only posts within the last two days. I'm trying to figure out where I fit in in the dance world and I'm still not sure where that may be.

I'm quiet because I don't know where I fit and I'm not sure of the right questions to ask at the moment, so I'd prefer to read for now.

17. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

And some of the good old days really were good! Some I wouldn't give you a nickel for.

18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Medira. You fit. You fit. Whoever you are, whatever dances you do (or don't do yet,) however old or young you are, wherever you live, you fit. I bet there's somebody here like you or who can relate to your perspective.

Don't worry. There's no pressure to post tons of things. If you want to lurk and just read, that's fine. If you want to post a little, that's fine. If you want to post a ton, that's fine too.

You are welcome here. 8) :D

If you want, you can always take a look at some older threads, btw. A lot of questions have already been addressed, and you can read through all of those conversations without having to go out on a limb. 8)

Welcome, Medira. :D

19. ColinP

ColinP New Member

Shhh...we pretend those days never happened. And try to forget them! (And they were nowhere near worth a nickel, anyway...)

Actually, learning ballroom in the UK when I did, they were the good old days. Richard and Janet Gleave had just retired but were still performing after 10 years at the top, Marcus and Karen were on the way up, Donnie and Gaynor about to win their first pro titles... It was a fabulous time, and also a decade that marked the end of an era for ballroom in the UK.

....Colin

20. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Medira, I'm a new arrival too and I lurked for a long time before I registered. I tried to register but my ancient computer had just about given up the ghost and would not allow me to do it. Then one day I got a new computer and.... Bingo!!

Looking back on it, it was good that I spent all that time watching and reading. It gives you a sense of the community you're entering into and probably makes things easier all round. Anyway, let's ease ourselves in gently.... I'll look out for your posts.

Rosa :)