Dance Articles > How Many Dance Lessons Do I Need?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Leonid Turetsky, Jan 1, 2011.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Reproduced here for ease of reference for our members:

2. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Yeah, I still laugh at myself because when I started I "decided" I would probably need a year of lessons to get to the level I wanted to be at.

Ten years later, I realized recently that I'm almost there!

But there's still a long, long way to go.

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

:cheers: Leonid, that is very well-written. Definitely some things to ponder about...

4. Thanks Ray

5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

You're welcome, Leonid! Sometimes I hear people talking about how they enjoy the actual process of something--that journey. In sports, the current coach of the Cowboys (Jason Garrett) constantly talks about this in at least two contexts. In one context, he recounts how as a backup quarterback in the 1990's who might not ever play, his love of the process kept him practicing and training. When the starting quarterback (Troy Aikman) got injured, Jason helped them through some big games because of all the preparation.

In the other context, as the head coach of a losing team this year, he imparts this to his players (along with going "moment to moment", not looking too far ahead, and "stringing together many good moments"). By teaching them to enjoy the process, they have found a way to keep plugging away in spite of having no hope of a winning season. In this way, it is not about the destination anymore, but the process and the enjoyment of playing the game...

6. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

All beginners should be warned with something like this: "The more dance lessons you take, the more you will want!"

7. Yes, enjoying the learning process is key.

8. major swing

major swing Member

four..........

9. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

:uplaugh::uplaugh::uplaugh:

10. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

Haha, that is a funny question and nice write up. BTW, I checked out your site and it looks great, I signed up for a membership. Thank you so much for providing this resource free of charge :) I'm just curious if you plan to upload further dances for the online lessons or if it's just for Latin. Thanks

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

imo...it is not about how many lessons, but rather, about how dense in info they are and how competant the pro is to assisting the student in grasping and executing the info...and it is also about how committed the student is to practicing and owning the info for themselves

12. Thanks and welcome aboard!

yes I upload roughly 2 lessons/month usually. So check back often.

13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I'll have to check that out! :cheers:

14. wiseman

wiseman New Member

Yeah, when I started dancing last May, I felt that I should be a good dancer in a year. I'm almost hitting that 1 year mark and I've still just begun. I still have a long way to go...

15. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I'll have to admit I'm skeptical that online lessons can work. The only way it would work is if you also sold a robot partner.

16. I am the first to say that Online dance lessons ALONE will never work...But as a supplement to physical lessons I think they are awesome.

17. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Thanks for the honest answer. I might check your site closer because you make sense.

18. nottomention

nottomention New Member

If lessons are focused on key skills which are being practiced with peer partner(s) outside of them, six months could be sufficient to become a reasonably capable (if far from expert) dancer. If not, a few years is not nearly enough.

Its not about the overall time, its about the time spent being effective.

19. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

We take two lessons per week (45 min) Sometimes I feel like this is too much.