Dance Articles > How Many Dance Lessons Do I Need?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Leonid Turetsky, Jan 1, 2011.

1. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I take 15 group lessons a week (45 min each) and sometimes up to 2 one hour private lessons a week. I doubt I can keep this pace up for very long but I'm sure learning stuff quickly considering my complete lack of former dance experience.

Most of the time I feel this isn't enough! :rolleyes:

2. manos311

manos311 New Member

I started American Latin in January, I take 2 hours of group lessons per week minimum, up to 6 if possible, and I go to dance parties once a week. I wish I could afford private lessons. I want to be able to dance every dance without having to repeat a step more than twice in a song. I guess I need one more year for this, then I'll think if I want to continue.

3. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I started with one private per week. It became two; then three;then four. That forth one was down to my husband;he was supposed to join us and I couldn't ask the instructor to reschedule at the last minute.
    Since I managed to do it once, I mean put all four lessons in a week then I couldn't help myself anymore. I spent all the money I had and I kept that pace for a whole month.
    I haven't regretted it. I am sure I need these lessons per week. Now if you multiply them by 52 and then by as many years as I am alive and standing then you'll get the number of the lessons I need...:raisebro:

PS:Now that I am completely broke :headwall:I think I won't even have a lesson per week, but what the heck... It was good while it lasted!;-)

4. chomsky

"It takes ten years, usually, to make a dancer. It takes ten years of handling the instrument, handling the material with which you are dealing, for you to know it completely". Martha Graham

5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Malcolm Gladwell raises the "10,000 hour rule" in his book Outliers which states that the key to mastering any field is 10,000 hours practicing at it.

I agree that there is no definitive number of lessons to make you a good dancer, but at the same time I think telling someone that when they are starting out can be daunting, it's like saying that you will never reach your goal, why bother?

6. chomsky

On the contrary, sky is the limit! I think you have to love dance to stick to it and not worry about the time, energy and effort put to it.
    You've got a point, though, I do get impatient many a times and start wondering when this when that...just like everyone else.That's when I say to myself a quote from DF "It takes two years to become a two year old"...

7. ktia85

ktia85 Member

That is soo true! I started only wanting to take a few lessons and 2 yrs later I am still dancing and even competeing.

8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I like the two lessons per dance style rule if competing.

9. chomsky

:notworth:I'm so so so jealous!!!Go ktia85!Go, go, go! You should put it in the what's possible thread!!!

10. chomsky

wow, you guys, what's it like to compete, I wonder...I compete every single day but it's in my head and it's with myself. It's never going to be something more but I'm quite happy with it. It's already difficult to compete with one's self. I never win...

11. Awesome thoughts guys. I also like Malcom's 10,000 hours of mastery idea...think about it - 8 hours a week * 52 weeks = 416 hours/year. you need 24 years to get to 10,000...How far along are you?

12. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Gladwell's 10,000 hours, at least in sports, comes from doing 3 hours/day of practice for 10 years. Typical particularly of athletes that start from around 8-12 years old to become world class in their late teens to early 20's

13. toothlesstiger

Or a mere 5 years if you are doing it as your profession, 40 hours per week.

14. toothlesstiger

Anyway, nice article, Leon, explains it well...

15. chomsky

I'm only down to one per week...but I should be happy because I still have it two years down the line...there was a time I didn't get to have not even one, not long ago! So, lucky me!!!