Ballroom Dance > How many hours do you practice a week

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Virtuoso, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Virtuoso

Virtuoso New Member

Yep I agree with elisedance, I was in a hurry so i just kinda rushed the question to see what responses i got in the evening.
    Let's make the question more interesting shall we? :
    I've seen the other thread about what we practice but i dont think anyone has asked how much we practice. How many hours do you practice a week? What do you practice and how much? Identify between social dancing, lessons, workshops and the time you dedicate to just practicing.

Currently I'm practicing around 5-7 hours a week.
    On Tuesdays I have an hour lesson and right after that an hour and a half workshop. On Thursdays it's more practice at a local dance studio usually takes something like two and a half hours. On Fridays my teacher lets me practice at our dance studio and mostly I try to make the most of it and last for another two hours.

2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Not enough. :)

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

varies wildly depending upon the number of lessons that week and the number of fitness classes I teach...I think now the bigger issue is...can I point to something concrete each week that my practice has yielded?

4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Lessee. Two one hour lessons (does not count). Typically one and half before/after each. 2 hrs wed eve, 4 hrs at a social studio - but half the music is latin so lets say 2 hrs. Half hour by myself reliably (varies). won't count all the time waiting for and in the elvator, office, etc etc.

Thats 7 1/2 hrs. Still feels not enough - wish the studio was closer.....

Wouldn't your question be more interesting if we also said what type of dancers we are? I do AM standard at Senior I gold.

5. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

5 times a week, which comes to about 10-12 hours. Eh. Not enough.

6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Does anyone do enough? There must be someone fully empolyed in dance that actually feels they do too much...

7. Twilight_Elena

Heh. My teacher did/does 3 hours a day and I'm not sue he thinks it's enough.
    All things considered, though, we should be doing at least 2 clean hours every time. It's usually less.

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

QFT.

9. fascination

quite so ...you left out the W and the V

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Nope.

11. biggestbox

biggestbox Member

ballet 5 hr
    Latin 10 hrs
    Gym 10 hrs.
    (lifting 3-4 hrs, stretching and abs 7 hrs)

12. BM

BM New Member

Used to practise somewhere around the order of 10-15 hrs/wk. Now, unfortunately, I'm lucky if I get 7 hrs in. =\

13. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

This topic always interests me. I practice alone most of the time and therefore the time is spent developing power and stamina while working on 2-3 technical details.

If I practice this way, I am happy to get an hour in. Even 30 minutes can be a very challenging practice. I know when I watch some couples practice at my studio that they spent a great deal of time talking, bickering, working on one pattern and stopping to analyze (similar to lessons...). When I hear about people practicing for hours a day, I wonder how much time is spent dancing. Maybe some people just have incredible stamina.

I would say that with social dancing, lessons, practice time, video/technique book review and analysis, it's about 8 hours/week. Some may not agree with my including some of those in the in the list, but I view all of it as "practice." All time is spent on Standard.

14. Twilight_Elena

vcolfari has a point. The quality of practice is very important. There are days you spend two hours of basically talking your way through a routine to spot what's missing, and there are days when half an hour of rumba walks is a killer. What I've noticed is that I feel more like I've practised hard when I'm on my own than when I'm practising with my partner. That's probably because I'm not used to having one.

T_E

15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Interesting on the partner practice. When we are alone in the studio there is a lot of stopping and starting - and repeating a step to try to get it right. However, when we practice in a more communal setting its usually much longer segments, if not non-stop. So we probably do 50:50. The latter is very important since dancing is my main aerobic excercise.

16. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I think that's one of the best answers to this question I've seen.

17. fascination

well thanks...I have given up on obssessing over a correct amount

18. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

yeah lately I've been practicing a lot less than before, and I've been feeling bad about it... though I've still been making good progress I think....probably why your comment resonated with me....

19. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Definitely not enough, but all of it is quality time spent. We spend very little time chatting, we never bicker during practice, and I feel that almost all of our time is very productive. With how little we practice, it has to be. :)

20. fascination

sometimes all it takes is ten minutes for sometihing very big to change...sometimes...gasp...less