General Dance Discussion > How many people fly the friendly skies?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Tinydancergirl, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Cause they are not looking too friendly right now! Delta and Northwest just posted big losses. Jammed flights, high fares, delays will affect airlines, customers. And of course, us ballroom dancers! So here's my question(s) for all you experienced travelers: We all know the costs involved in attending a comp. Costly, to say the least, not including your time and effort. So how does one prepare for the unexpected? Such as delayed flights, cancelled flights? I am a novice at airtravel and I am tentitively planning on attending Ohio in November. Is there such a thing as insurance for cancelled flights? How about trip insurance? I guess what I'm saying, in a nutshell, is there anyway to recoup losses in cases of cancelled, flights and events?
    Tinydancergirl

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

most airlines will refund you if they cancel your flight... but than you will miss your event... (or you can always to a LONG drive like we did 2 years ago for Ohio... and I mean LONG!!!!!! got there few hours before our event)

3. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

There is some insurance offered by priceline.com when you book a ticket. Change of plans, illness, etc. I never used it though... Does anyone have experience getting such an insurance and actually having the insured event occur? Is it worth it?

4. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

All I know is, NEVER check your costumes or your dance shoes. Always carry on. :)

5. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

I fly about twice a week, so I'll try to help you out with your questions.

While you can't exactly prepare for the unexpected, here are some tips.
    1. Always have important stuff with you in your carry ons in case of cancelled flights, missed connections or delays. This is stuff like medicine, costume, shoes, enough make-up and toiletries to get by and be under the limits of security check-points, and something to pass the time like a book, game, etc.
    2. Know what other carriers and or flight options there are to your destination around the times that you need to be there. An search on a site like Kayak or Travelocity should give you all the info you need to be informed when talking to an agent about a cancelled flight, make sure to suggest them putting you on a flight with another carrier if they can't get you to your destination on time.
    3. Always bring copies of hotel and car rental reservations so that you have the phone numbers to call and cancel if you're not going to make it for your reservation. Most hotels are fairly understanding about cancelled flights and won't charge you for the extra night if you can't make it due to a cancelled flight, but you need to call them as soon as you know. Rental car companies, as long as you haven't pre-paid through a discount site, don't even need you to cancel, but it's good to have the number if you need to change the pick-up time of your vehicle.

The trip insurance you're referring to is in case you get sick or have an emergency where you need to cancel your flight, not for the airline cancelling your flight. However if purchasing through a site like Orbitz where you pre-pay, this could be helpful for a cancelled flight since you pre-pay for all the items you book. I don't have a lot of experience with the discount sites since I use my work travel site for a lot of travel.

If your flight is cancelled the airline is required by law to get you to your destination, or if you choose not to go, give you a refund for your ticket. If you get stuck in a city that is not your home and the cancellation is not due to an "Act of God" such as weather, they are required to give you housing for the night. Most will also have overnight kits with toothbrush, toothpaste, etc to get you through the night if you don't have your own.

As far as getting a refund for an event if you miss it, I'm afraid that you are most likely out of luck with this one, unless the event itself will give you one. An airline is very unlikely going to reimburse you for this expense.

Please let me know if you have anymore quesitons.

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

one word...

southwest

7. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

One other addition:

Jet Blue has a Customer Bill of Rights that has what you receive if your flight is delayed or cancelled and they are very good about making sure you receive the compensation. I had a flight delayed after the Harvard competition last month and a couple of days later I had an email in my inbox with a discount code for a certain amount off for my next flight. So that won some points in my book.

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Who unfortunately don't seem to go everywhere you need to go. ;)

9. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I'm with Larinda. I gave up on United and American. Avoid O'Hare if possible.

Worst thing that's happened to me on SWA is a flight into LA took an extra hour. But that was because we had 160 mph headwinds according to the captain.

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

an d have recently run into some fairly serious issues with the air traffic safety folks...man, gimme my caddy and some good tunes any day.....

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Ahoy, land yacht! ;)

12. fascination

hop aboard mate :)

13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Well I can't stand it that when I moved to Boston there is no SWA. You can't imagine the troubles I have had with the "regular" airlines flying out of here. High prices, delays, cancellations, being rerouted to cities that are deadends with no connection to get me home... just ridiculous.

I GLADLY drive back to Hartford to catch a SWA flight. And there are plenty of cities SWA travels to... Vegas, LA, StL, Austin, San Jose, Miami, Chicago, Nashville, Ohio, Philly...

14. fascination

gotta say...when I did fly, I far preferred to go through midway

15. Laura

Laura New Member

The biggest piece of advice I have is do not cut your flight arrival time too short. There are people who fly into the competition city the day of their event to save on hotel rooms. That works great, so long as it works, but what if something happens and you can't get to the city that day? Flight insurance won't cover you missing your dance event. If you're not there, you're not there. I always fly in the night before if it's a short flight away, and a day or two before if it's cross-country.

Also, since you're new, make sure you understand the TSA rules for what you can bring in your carry-on before you pack. It will make getting through security so much easier.

16. skwiggy

Which to me means that right now is probably the safest time to fly Southwest, since they are under strict scrutiny.

17. fascination

lol...you go ahead and do that :)

18. skwiggy

I will. May 29th and June 3rd. ;)

19. Laura

Laura New Member

Everyone complains about all the airlines, as far as I can tell. I regularly fly US Air and United and I can't say that I have anything to complain about, whereas there are other people who will avoid them at all costs.

It does help that if you fly a lot to stick to one airline because you can earn frequent flyer miles, and on some airlines not only do the miles translate into an eventual free flight, but they can also get you better seating and shorter check-in and security lines, and get you out of paying the new $25 fee to check a second bag.

20. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Along the frequent flyer topic, I always suggest to everyone, that even if you don't fly a lot, make sure that you have frequent flyer accounts and get credit for every flight you take because you never know when they might add up to free flights. Also, check out who they're partners with, such as United and US Airways; or Continental, Northwest and Delta. Get one and get credit for flying on all their partners and you'll be surprised how quick it will add up!

I personally am a Continental airlines girl, I've been flying them or their partners fairly consistently for almost 10 years and still love them.