General Dance Discussion > How many private lessons?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 23, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Another just curious. How many private lessons do you take per week/month? Do you think there is an optimum number?Is it possible to take too many? Too few?

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I'd say in social dancing this depends on your skill level. I used to take 4 privates a month, and 4 group classes a month as well. I think that over-doing it is counter productive to your wallet, especially us salseros that care more about dancing than making money. What little we have is to get down not to give in lessons. Once you are an advance dancer I think is great if you could go once maybe twice a month for privates to polish those things you don't notice yourself, and learn new skills.

I don't believe beginners should waste their money in privates either until they learn some basics in group classes. I've seen way too many people come in out the street not know a thing, take privates for 2 months then look just like the dude who decided to take 2 months worth of group classes. The single attention won't stick very well if the student ins't ready for it. No matter how much attention a private can give someone, if the person isn't ready for it, it won't do any good. At least in a group his frustrations are shared by other people, and they'll go along at the same pace, and on top of it all, lose their fear of being in a group learning, after all they'll be in a group at the dancefloor...

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks, boriken. :D

I hadn't thought about the fact that the answer might be different for social versus competitive dancers. Thanks for making that distinction. You're right, of course. :D

4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

IMHO (in my humble opinion), I think it all comes down to three things: finances and how important dancing is in your life, and whether or not you have a regular practice partner. At my peak I was taking about 5 private lessons per week. I was a staff member at a studio and the studio gave me free lessons with more experienced intructors in exchange for me working the parties for free. Later, after I left that studio I continued to take about 2 per week. If you can afford it and dancing is really important to you you should take as many as you can afford. Just be careful that dancing doesn't take you for a financial ride. It did for me, not so much because anyone talked me into it, but because of my addiction. Nevertheless, I'm not the least bit disappointed that I spent too much money on dancing, because dancing has been and always will be a very important part of my life. After I had been dancing for a few years, I started to have some regular partners and I started taking fewer private lessons, but I was able to practice what I learned in the lessons much more. So, if at all possible, find a practice partner. They don't have to be anything more than that. If possible get 2 or 3. Eventually, you will find someone who will stay with you for a period of time and you can make some major progress. Finally, the two of you can split the cost of private lessons. Oops, and another thing: try to find out which studios in your area are regularly bringing in coaches of high esteem. You should try to make sure a certain percentage of your lessons are from such people, because you will receive a high level of quality as well as some variety.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

When I "really" compete . . .
    3 per week - Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday - and adding 1 or 2 extra a week on Wednesday and Sunday, two weeks before a competition.

Then our studio has a dance the weekend before the competition weekend, and each of the students have to "perform" at least one dance. I usually do Waltz or WCS or ECS - A "free" practice.

6. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

DanceMentor, you are looking pretty agressive on your new pic... :)

7. Taita

Taita New Member

Great question....

The answer depends upon..... the person asking. All of the criteria mentioned before apply. I also tend to believe it also depends upon your level of comprehension of the previous lesson. Do you find yourself repeating too much of the previous lesson? Are you practicing sufficiently between lessons? Many professionals that I know benefit from several, if not more lessons on a weekly basis since they practice for hours every day. Personally, my partner and myself have an agreement. Private lessons are not to be taken until we practice what we learned from the previous lesson. Since we both work too, this amounts to 1 lesson every week. A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.

8. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

infinity. I don't know how many hours I dance a week, I lose count :]