Dancers Anonymous > "How many strangers can you dance with" Day

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Anyone want to join me in a "Dance with a stranger" Day/Week?

Where we make concerted efforts to dance with at least one stranger (at the venue/studio, and not down the aisle in the supermarket as some Smarty Pants here has done or is likely to suggest? :roll: ) :lol:

Then we share our experiences :D

Amended for my friends who were 'taking the piss' that I had used the singular rather than the plural :p :lol:

Amended again :lol: Is that okay now? Will everyone just do it already instead of trying to ruffle my thread/find excuses as to why they can't restrict themselves to just one stranger :p :lol:

2. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Sound like fun, Pacion. :)

Can we include car dances? I'm really good at those. :lol: :lol:

I'm only kidding. :p

3. danceguy

danceguy New Member

I try to dance with a stanger each time I go dancing. :)

4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Re: "Dance with a stranger" Day

:oops:

5. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:doh: sorry Purr, I wasn't suggesting you!

I can't mention their names :cry: TJ, Sabor, SD, SG, GR, Boriken, Sagitta, Vince, Pygmalion, Peach, Salsachinita, Sakura, [insert DF member's name] - do I need to go on :wink: :wink:

Car dances can work too Peach, but the stranger has to be in another car :wink: :lol:

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Oh, so I'm being excluded from dancing with strangers? :? :cry:

Some of us just need to get our dancing fix a little more frequently than others. :wink: Aren't enough studios / venues when you want to do a dance or two mid-day or 6 in the morning. :( Lots of people in supermakets though. Haven't you heard about those who troll supermarkets looking from potential marriage mates or dates?

7. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:oops: No you are not being excluded! You were just named as one of those who would suggest dancing with a stranger in the aisles of the supermarket just to make my thread a bit more topsy turvey!

:lol:

8. Sabor

Sabor New Member

no.. eversince i was little ..and had little socksies.. i've been taught not to converse w/ strangers!

9. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Should you be in bed :twisted: :lol:

(only because of his time zone, not because I have 'special knowledge' :lol:)

10. Sabor

Sabor New Member

tuck me in! :p

11. Pacion

Pacion New Member

12. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Will you two just meet already and alleviate all this tension? England isn't that far from Egypt...Sabor just fix up them ol' Pyramids so they can teleport people again...then *shazam* you'll be able to get there in a quick jiffy. :car:

Hey...that way we could get the *the plan* into effect as well...or have I been watching too many sci-fi movies? :D

SG

13. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

SG. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Nope, such a thing is not possible :nope:

15. tj

tj New Member

Since I've moved to somewhere new, almost everyone is a stranger - well, except for the friendly salsera that remembered me from two weeks ago.

16. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Re: "Dance with a stranger" Day

a stranger = one stranger :?:

Hmmm, maybe I can cut down to one for this week. :nope:

17. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Pacion:

Sounds like a cool idea! At my studio there is rarely anyone I don't know anymore, but if I make it to a different studio that week I'm sure I'll find someone. Relating the stories sounds super, too!

Let's set it up for one day or weekend per month! Weekend mikght make more sense to give folks more days/events to pick from.

18. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Well, I have been known to do rumba walks in the breakfast cereal aisle at the local Kroger. :oops:

The last time I tried to be nice to a stranger it backfired. It was with a brand new student to the studio. We danced a rumba, and the student proceeded to tell me everything that I was doing wrong - my frame, my steps, my timing, and my execution of patterns. I just smiled and didn't say too much, although some choice comments came to mind. At the end of the dance, he summarized all my errors, and I just smiled and said I'd discuss it with my dance teacher on our next lesson.

How should I have handled the situation?

19. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Hi Purr,

I say get in their face about it! :p

If someone makes a suggestion like that to me and its not warranted, I usually just ignore it, especially if they have no idea what they are talking about. But once when I was taking a class at a dance studio one of the assistant instructions made a couple of very rude suggestions, and since I was in a snappy mood, I just got in her face about it and said quite sharply "I really DO NOT appreciate you making these comments, you're making me uncomfortable and I really do not enjoy dancing with you. I'm going to stop now,"...and I did just that! :roll:

It wasn't that I didn't want some advice to improve my dancing..but the way in which she pointed them out was very disempowering. She had a bit of an attitude and I couldn't believe the look on her face when I confronted her...total shock. She was always nice after that...but I went to the teacher about it and he denied that one of his TA's would ever do that (when in fact, two of them had been really rude to me).

Last time I ever took a lesson from those folks! :D

SG

20. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

:shock: :shock:

BRAVO! I wish I have the courage to do just that when being treated the same way! The last time that happened to me, I tried to just ignore him while keeping a smile on my face, I was so annoyed in the end but he apparently thought that I wanted more. :evil: :evil: I wish I could do just the same!