Dancers Anonymous > "How many strangers can you dance with" Day

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Aug 26, 2004.

1. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Oh yeah, here's a case for the unpredictability of life. She's my partner on the dance team I just joined now! :lol:

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Danced with 10+ new people yesterday night! :oops: Some catching up to do sinec I've been dancing with fewer people lately. Quite a few beginners who satrted off telling me they didn't know how to dance, and then almost skipping off the dance floor at the end of our dance. :D

3. Sagitta

Danced with many newbies Saturday night, again and a couple plan to start coming out to the Latin nights more often. :)

4. Sagitta

hmm... I assume many are out there just dancing the night away. Despite feeling out of it I danced with a complete beginner and had some fun last night. :)

5. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

It's been a while since I posted here -- but that doesn't mean I've stopped dancing with strangers! I just got out of the habit of *counting* strangers... :oops: And of course, everyone I danced with (except my SO of course) during my April holiday was a stranger. 8)

Last Friday I was asked to be a taxi dancer at a monthly. The job is to find people wearing a beginner badge and ask them to dance. I said of course and started dancing. There weren't many people wearing a badge, so I just kept asking people I didn't recognise, then after a while I thought, "this is what I do every time I'm here anyway!" :lol:

6. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

I was talking to my salsa friend while out dancing tonight that I could just see who would be there dancing tomorrow night...

when a salsa community is quite small (we have a so called "in-bred" salsa community here) and with not so many international visitors, the number of "strangers" available for dancing becomes really limited.. :? I guess I really gotta venture out someday (when I have the money :roll: )

total number of strangers for tonight: 2. One of them is not even a stranger... just never danced with him before.

7. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

He still counts as a stranger for the purpose of this thread* -- here are the rules:
    * The purpose being:

8. Mitra

Mitra New Member

Well, between Friday and Saturday here, I think I danced with a total of....probably about 15 to 20 people, although if we are also counting house parties, then I would bump it up to almost 30. I go to lots of USABDA dances around here and they occasionally play mixers, so I dance with lots of people on those nights ^_^

9. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Thanks for providing the explanation MacMoto. :D

:applause: Looks like Mitra may be a challenger for the "title" :wink:

But would all those people Mitra be "strangers" in the dance sense ie. even if you have had Sunday brunch together, that you have never previously danced together or have not danced together for 2 months or so?

10. Mitra

Mitra New Member

Oh yeah, these are all strangers, most of these people I have never met before in my life. If we wanted to count people I know but have never danced with until today, then it would definately be at 30 or more, otherwise I would say just 25 to 30 for complete strangers.

Who is the current reigning champ so far?

11. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:roll: :roll: :roll: Everyone who was game enough to take part, and shared their experiences... :wink:

(For those who did, but didn't share, if you get what I mean, :lol: alas, I don't know who they are and therefore cannot specifically acknowledge their existence :wink: )

12. HF

HF New Member

There really is such a thing like a beginner badge in your club?

13. Pacion

Pacion New Member

HF, I wasn't there, but I suspect it was only for this event/monthly event, that there were beginner badges, if only so that it would be easier for the Taxi Dancers to seek them out. :wink:

14. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

It was a monthly, i.e., the "club" is put on monthly by local salsa promoters in a hired venue that is not a dedicated salsa/latin club. The promoters who run this club have always been keen to focus on beginner friendliness, hence the taxi dancer/beginner badge idea. Works quite well -- people who are not taxi dancers also try and give beginners a dance.

15. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Danced with a stranger from Sweden this weekend. What a great dancer! :D He's a friend of one of the Edinburgh teachers and is apparently an organiser of salsa events in Sweden.

16. HF

HF New Member

Last week I went to a club and, partly inspired by this thread, decided to dance with strangers only.

I have to add that my social dance life has seen several phases - starting phase where almost every follower was a stranger and I would get 9 letdowns for 10 asks, phase two with some more girls that would dance with me, phase three with hardly no letdown at all, phase four with some girls being angry because I would not manage to dance with all the ladies that expect to be asked. Not that I am such a darn good dancer but I notice when a lady that I know has to wait at the side for a longer time. So nowadays beginners fade somehow out of view without really wanting it.

But that day I danced with 7 strangers before I asked a lady that I already knew. It was great fun and I really enjoyed it. And when I danced a second time with one of those seven then she asked me:

"You have lost a bet, haven't you?"

:lol: :twisted:

17. Sagitta

Danced with a couple strangers Saturday night. An interesting night at belle Epoque. I'm wondering if I can get a group of people to drive down with me one Saturday...dance and then drive back...

18. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

We had our summer salsa ball on Saturday. Usually there are quite a few strangers (many from down south) at the ball, but there weren't as many this time. Still, I danced with 4 strangers this weekend, including our star guest, Orville Small! 8)

19. Pacion

Pacion New Member

How did she know? :wink:

20. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Any new stories to share? :D :banana: :D