General Dance Discussion > How much do you dance per week?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Peaches, Mar 25, 2008.

1. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

We use that seventh day for either “for fun” group class (which is a casual, social class where we kind of just chill), or competition.

7 days a week dancing. Any less and I get bored anyway.

2. dancepro

dancepro Member

I had the same problem for a while, until I sat them (my students) down and had them write down why they are dancing and what they want to get out it. I also had them write down how many rules of dance they already knew and how many they think it would take for them to reach the goal they had. There are 20 basic rule, more then 400 on the third level and well over 8000 on the fifth level, so there is plenty for every level, this got them really going. They then started asking how to get more efficient, because they were running out of hours in a day. I also told them that I didn't really care if they practiced as I would just have to say the same things over and over. If they wanted to pay for the same information again and again, they were quite welcome. I then started calling them my pension plan and they soon found the goal and they started practicing by their own initiative. The best thing is for them to get themselves inspired to get into the studio for practice.

Dancepro

3. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Dancepro if you ever find yourself in Australia I would love to get some lessons off you.

4. dancepro

dancepro Member

Well, thank you so much WaltzElf. It would be an honor to be of service to you. I have never been to that part of the world, but maybe one day, one never knows. I do travel around the US, Europe and Asia coaching different subjects, so maybe we will meet somewhere some time. I am sure you can find great coaching right there in Australia. If you really want a teacher or person in your life just use "The Secret". I did that to get many of the great masters I have been fortunate enough to study under.

All the best, and once again thank you for the compliment.

Dancepro

5. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

I do have some wonderful teachers here – world champions and the like but I’m at the stage of my dancing now where I need to look at getting a bit of a broader perspective on things. I’ve read many of your insights into the art on this forum, and I’d very much like to see how they translate one day, so, with any luck our paths will cross!

6. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

You are mixing terminology... Private LESSON, and class work , are 2 different " animals " .

7. dancepro

dancepro Member

Dear WaltzElf

What kind of broader perspective on things are you looking for? There are many different ways to learn some of the things that I have talked about. I would be happy to help you find more insights from you current location. I do go to Blackpool every year and next year I will have quit a few of my kids going. So there is always Blackpool if you ever decide to go there.

If you want to meet, use the Law of Vibration and ask for our path to cross and it will happen, so be it!

Dancepro

8. Kanela

Kanela New Member

I started dancing 2 months ago. I have 1-2private lessons/wek and 2 group lessons/wk.

9. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

I'm currently up to 5-6 privates a week preparing for nationals, plus 10-12 hours of practice per week. I will cut back on the privates to my regular 3/week after nationals.

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lordy...the opposite with me. pro's traveling, i'm traveling... way down in all instruction & floor time with him. but finally starting some solo practice time.

awesome that you're able to jack things up, sync. you're gonna do great.

11. syncopationator

Only 1-2 of those lessons is with pro/am teacher. the rest are with my two other coaches. Solo practice time is key. 75-80% of my practice time is solo. you would be surprised of how much you can improve practicing by yourself. The hardest part if getting into the habit of doing it, afterall, who wants to dance by themselves. But you'd be surprised at how enjoyable it can be once you really get going.

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

not surprised at all. i love it! :) am pretty decent self-practicer, provided i have access & time, which has been my issue.

13. syncopationator

Also, self-practice is free!

14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, is for me, but I know some here have paid for floro time for practicing, or at least that was my understanding. I'd pracice a lot less if I had to do that. :) just wish I was more motivated about it. I get in every day, but generally 30-45 minutes is most I can manage. And still hop around a bit. Just SO much to work on. Not like my goals are unreasonable, I just want everything in all of my dances to be perfect. :)

15. Laura

Laura New Member

Except for floor fees, which can run as high as $10/hour, but that's still a lot less than you'd pay for a lesson!

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

reminds me how grateful I am to dh for letting me to turn the largest room into the house into a practice room...the man is a saint....and truly, with NP being over two hours away, I would be up a creek without it...must hasten over to gratitude thread...plus I have this cool new ballroom laptop ...and great mirrors and a tv down there to play my lesson tapes...and a fridge...and df one short procrastination away...doesn't get any better than that

17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I'm purely social dancer (notice, F, that I didn't say "just" a social dancer? ;-) ), and pretty much purely AT dancing.

2 lessons (back-to-back) every other week.
    Social dance once a week.
    No group classes, no practicas.
    Scattered solo practicing at home.

Very rarely (maybe once a month, or once every other month) I'll end up at a ballroom social.

Of course, that's the general plan. However, it's been about a month since my last lessons, and will be another month or so until my next one. And, it's been at least a month since I last social danced. Not a very happy camper right about now...

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my sympathy...with NP having alot of students and travelling alot and the distance issue...it is feast or famine...usually 12 lessons in 4 days then any where from 10 to 20 days off...plus, having no local studio and not really wanting to answer alot of questions these days...it's pretty much me and my practice floor most of the time...but it is making me a better dancer...still at the end of 20 days I am pretty cranky about it

19. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yeah, not much fun. Technically, I could be dancing more often. There are things going on in DC pretty much all evening except Fridays. But with my schedule, and living as far away as I do, well, it's just not practical. I'm not willing to drive into work to give myself the flexibility (between the time it would take, and the stress, and the cost in gas, not to mention the $15/day it costs to park by work it just isn't worth it). And I'm not willing to come home, to turn around and drive for an hour back in to dance...and I couldn't function at work if I was getting home at 1am. Not to mention not wanting to take time away from my (already limited) time with DH.

And, of course, there's absolutely no tango remotely close to me.

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

well... plus the hourly floor rental.:cool: