General Dance Discussion > How often do you take lessons?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by atk, Mar 19, 2007.

1. atk

atk Active Member

In another thread, somewhere, someone mentioned being completely obsessed with dancing.

I'm just wondering how often people go out dancing, take lessons (group and private), and how long they've been dancing. For myself, I'm at the local AM studio every night of the week (Except Sundays) taking group lessons, or practicing, for 1 to 4 hours. I take two private lessons per week, both shared with my partner. But I only manage to go out maybe 1 night every month or two. Oh, and I've been dancing for just about 3 years.

What about you?

2. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

My lw and I are also AM students. We take a private lesson every other week. We go to the studio dance almost every week. When we started, we were taking two group classes a week but lately, it's been 0-1 groups per week because of schedule conflicts. Almost every week we attend an open studio dance at one of the other studios in town. We also attend three monthly social dances at various locations near our home (including the one hosted by the local USA Dance chapter). This July, it will have been two years since we started dancing.

-IJ

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Private lesson about once a week with once teacher; double private lesson every other week with my other teacher.

Two group classes on Tuesdays. Group class every other Friday.

Dancing maybe about once a week, on average.

4. Laura

Laura New Member

If I tell you will you promise not to hold it against me? Sometimes when these threads come up and people answer, weird arguments about unfairness with respect to one's disposable income and dancing crop up.

5. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Laura, I promise it won't bother me. We know that you are not one to flaunt your blessings and would not intentionally belittle anyone with fewer resources.

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Very true, Laura.

I try to look at it and just be grateful that I have the income to dance at all, and to take private lessons.

I don't have as much as others, but I've got nothing to complain about and everything to be grateful for.

Heck, the fact that I have a job, a roof over my head and food in the fridge, and am healthy and safe on a day-to-day basis is enough to be happy about. Everything else is gravy.

7. Laura

Laura New Member

I take six to eight privates a week. TS and I also get a coaching about once every other month from one of his coaches whenever she is up here.

When I was doing Amateur, K & I would take one private a week and one group class per week, and practice three or four times a week.

The previous time I was doing Pro/Am, I took two to four privates a week plus a group class.

And the time before that, when I first started dancing, I took two privates a week.

8. WorksForShoes

WorksForShoes Member

Too true, one should tread extra-carefully thinking one understands another's financial priorities and abilities. I imagine some of DH's and my friends think that we could afford (and desperately need?) more lessons, some think we are crazy for the amount we already do spend.

As for lessons, we take somewhere between 2-4 group classes a week (depending on where we are with the dance, whether we take the studio Friday pre-dance workshop, and scheduling), we are accelerating to 3 private lessons in every 4 weeks, and we social dance at least one night every weekend, plus usually two outings for club salsa a month. Oh, plus an hour of belly dance for me and formation practice for the two of us every Saturday. When last I counted, we were dancing between 5-12 hours every week, depending.

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

good point.

hey, luv your new avatar! :)

is that a new red dress...?

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that is excellent... you are very fortunate... i love hearing this

11. Laura

Laura New Member

No, it's the same damn one that I've been dancing in since my days with K. back in 2005! I desperately need to make a new one but I still haven't moved yet (although the movers are finally scheduled to come this Wednesday morning).

Glad you liked the picture. It's TS & me at City Lights Ball the weekend before last.

12. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Current 3.5 privates/week pro-am (smooth/rhythm)
    1 private/week for am/am smooth
    trying to get to 1 private/2weeks for am/am rhythm

aiming to scale back the pro-am work following my competition this week and continue to increase the lesson/practice time that the am-am partnership gets

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

beautiful. the red is so rich.

14. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I usually have two 90 minute (double) privates a week. I have tons of group lessons in stock but I haven't found a group class that would suit my schedhule and level. Totally sucks.

T_E

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have been dancing a total of 2 1/2 year.s..first six months was once every two weeks on a saturday with dh...two years ago in januray I started private lessons at twice a week and went to groups about 4 times a week... now, and like Laura please don't shoot me for having disposable income, I take about 10 hours a week and no groups...this varies depending...can be 6 can be 15 before a comp...we are no longer at a studio so groups are not really an option anymore, but mercifully the price has gone down b/c there is no overhead...this year we had very little coaching b/c of the transition, but we are scheduled for at least 5 hours of it in april...

so I have been dancing pro am for two years...competing will be two years in june(16 comps)...and an extra six months if you count the @12 lessons w/ dh prior to that...I dance bronze and silver in 3 styles and bronze in latin....and i think it is safe to say that I am fairly obsessed

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

passionate... enthusiastic... i like the positive spin :rolleyes: obsessed sounds like such a liability, and clearly there are so many positives to your pursuit!

that is just fabulous that you are able to pursue this so wholeheartedly. i hope you and laura will be inspirations to others rather than projections of lack... this is exactly the tempo i wish to be at, and the fact that other pro-am-ers like yourselves are doing it only reinforces to me that it's very possible!

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thanks...I'll go with that...and I am sure you have what it takes...

18. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Been dancing about 2 1/2 years with husband. For a long while we took one group a week, a private per week together, me a private per week and he a private every other week. (I need more to keep up!!)
    We cut out the solo privates about a year ago, and cut the group classes last October and changed instructors. So currently we're taking one private a week (and getting so much from our current instructor in that one private a week that we could really chew on it for a few weeks, she's just amazing at isolating what we're doing wrong and challenging us.) We tend to go out dancing at socials about once a week. Very occasionally (like maybe 4 times a year) skip a week, and about twice a month go dancing on both Friday and Saturday. We're social dancers that do the occasional showcase.
    All the lessons in the world didn't matter until we started going out each and every week and dancing. It was all about going out and getting comfortable on the dance floor until we OWNED it.:)

19. tj

tj New Member

If money is tight, you could always just take group salsa classes. They're usually $8-15 for an hour, and then you'll pay $5-15 each time you go out.

20. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Dancing on and off for 7 years (probably a solid 5). I take two privates a week and fantasize about another 6. Practice about 4x/week. Rarely go out social dancing.