General Dance Discussion > How often do you take lessons?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by atk, Mar 19, 2007.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

The only problem with me is that I find out I'm far toooo tense when I dance mad. I do dance better, because I concentrate more etc., but I'm still a bit tense. ;)

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

nope, i think you have to decide that it is worth it to be his planner...and to sound like a biddy when you inform him of it

3. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Great idea, Tanya...if I really thought it would work. But I'm really thinking it might be best just to make a clean break. The only problem is, I'm not sure who I want to start taking lessons with...there are a couple of pros at the studio (it's basically the only studio in town) who are possibilities. One does ballroom AND country, and that really appeals to me since I am a country western dancer, too. :cowboy:

4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Maybe take a practice lesson with the one that you are interested in? ;)

5. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

You should tell him why you're going to someone else, maybe it will be a wake up call for him. Also, I think, since there is no obvious choice (as it sounds from your post), you should take trial lessons with different pros to see whom you like better.

6. fascination

IME...they couldn't change if they wanted to...and they don't want to

7. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

I know how you feel. I have taken from a guy for two years now and am ready to move on to someone else. Not the same scenario as you, because my reason for moving on is that I want to compete and need someone who is more technical and into that sort of thing, and he is very derogatory towards the "exaggeration" of competitions and the technical aspects as well, which I totally do not agree with and am tired of arguing with him about. But we are friends and I feel guilty about leaving him, and have to constantly remind myself that I'm NOT leaving him high and dry, nor do I owe him anything for getting me started with dancing, because I have paid him for every lesson I have taken and he has gotten money in exchange for his teachings. That being said, I've only told him that I needed time off to deal with money issues (which is true!), and have not had the courage yet to tell him that I wont be back ever. Not looking forward to that. But I am with you in that I think a clean break is for the best. I will have to do that myself when the money works out and I can figure out who I want to take from next. Changing teachers is hard, but who knows...the next instructor we find might actually be the one that we can really work great with, and if we had stayed with the former instructor, we would never have met the new one! Just a thought....

8. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

Nice to put a face with a name! Not sure what my final standing was in JnJ.

9. Laura

Laura New Member

Why are people so enthralled with their dancer dancers that they can't tell them that they want to move on, that it's not working, etc. It's a business, it's a business relationship. If a teacher can't/won't teach you what you want/need, you have every right -- and a responsibility to yourself -- to move on.

Just do it.

I had to once. Yes, it felt weird, but I just did it. I said to one of my old teachers that I was quitting Pro/Am to focus on amateur, and didn't want any more lessons, and that was that. Since we were both there, I took that one last lesson -- and it was actually a fun goodbye. We mostly danced, and it was very good. I am very thankful for everything he taught me, and we still see each other around and say "hi". He's even judged me and K. at a comp or two, no hard feelings, no BS, it was just time to move on.

Yes, these people are friendly, and some really become friends, but they also should be grown-up businesspeople.

10. tanya_the_dancer

Because what you're doing is basically firing a person. It is stressful in itself. I had to fire 2 nannies in the past for a reason, and it was extremely unpleasant.

11. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

And some pros also take it personally. I know in the past when I have told my pro I was going to take some time off, whether it was a week or more, he would get this panicked look on his face and then look at me suspiciously as if I was thinking of "cheating" on him with another teacher. :rolleyes:

12. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Yeah, but the way I see it is that it is my money. It's my call how I want to spend it. If I don't like their service... then that's it. I won't put any more money into their pockets.

13. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

That's a lot of it. Fear of change is another big part.

14. Laura

Laura New Member

Just because the teacher is insecure, it doesn't mean the student has to buy in to their insecurities. A person doesn't massage the ego of their dentist or plumber, right? In fact, if my doctor or car mechanic was all insecure about their work, I'd start getting very suspicious of their abilities.

Every single one of my dance teachers over the years have told me that it's good for me to study with whoever I want, whenever I want, because the more information I get and the more angles and points of view I am exposed to, the more I will learn and grow. It's not "cheating" to take from another teacher.

15. Laura

Laura New Member

Now that is definitely a good point to ponder, especially if you are in one of those areas where there aren't a lot of teachers to choose from.

I recall there was someone on here, sorry that I forgot the name, who agonized for a while over going to a new teacher -- and after she got there she was so amazingly happy that she moved on, and gave us glowing reports of her great lessons and how much she was learning and understanding. So for her, the fear of change ended up being greatly outweighed by the benefits of the change.

16. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Moi?:) Although I don't think I shared a lot of my agonizing here.

17. Laura

Laura New Member

No, I think it was someone else...the name is at the edge of my consciousness but I can't get it out!

18. fascination

yea...I am really grateful that pro is of the mind that feedback from all corners is good...he is great about that b/c he is confident in his own skills

19. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Ditto. Definitely put off breaking away from my old instructor/studio, and after I finally did it, kicked myself for not doing it sooner.

20. tanya_the_dancer

But I think their are different levels of business relationship, taking dance lessons doesn't really compare with fixing a car. Besides, if I am not happy with a mechanic, I just go somewhere else, I wouldn't even bother telling them that I am not going to bring my car over there again (unless I am there, completely po'ed and telling them what I really think in the heat of the moment). Business relationship when you work one-on-one on a regular basis is more close, whether you like it or not. And in such relationship, you cannot terminate it without telling the other person that you are doing so, and that confrontation (if you're firing the person for cause, so to speak) is an uncomfortable thing for most people I think.