Swing Discussion Boards > how old are you swing dancers?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by luh, Feb 13, 2005.

?

How old are you?

1. till 15

99.5%
  2. 16 - 25

0.5%
  3. 26 - 35

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 36 - 45

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 46 - 55

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 56 - 65

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. above 65

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. luh

luh Active Member

hi
    I'm pretty young, and i already love dancing. When i danced in the usa, most people were around my age. Here in germany people are older till way older.
    Maybe it's fun to see how old you guys are. Oh and please just swing dancers.
    luh

EDIT:
    just saw 2 things.
    1. There is already a thread running with how old question. I'm sorry that i saw that afterwards, but I'm still interested you swing dancers age! I also hope it's a little easier to see how old you are with the poll stuff.
    2. i forgot to say how old I'm exactly - I'm 16. I hate beeing the youngest at swing nights. I mean the next youngest is at least 8 years older. (And that isn't neccessary a follow - how I'd need it) I feel if they don't take me serious, or is that just a feeling?
    In the USA, they were at least in the 18-22 range (college kids)

2. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

I'm really old: 31.

3. blue

blue New Member

Old as a dinosaure! Go hide in the shadows. (I am 36)

Most lindy people where I live are over 30, it seems.

4. luh

luh Active Member

:cry:
    One day I'd like to dance with a partner who is not almost 10 years older.
    :!:

5. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

I promise you that if you stick with it, you will! Not only that, but you'll find plenty of partners your own age too! :lol:

6. luh

luh Active Member

do you mean if i wait just 20 more years? :)

7. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Hehe, the wonders of aging!

I see you're sixteen. You would be the youngest around here too. But I've seen a new guy at beginner classes, I am quite sure he's younger than twenty. And I've seen a girl with him, but she seems slightly older. But I know that we do have some people that are between twenty and twenty-five. So around here you'd only have to wait five years to have several people your own age. But I must admit, the bulk of people are between 25 and 35.

Anyway, you're a guy right? Just stick with it. In a few years, when you're really good, the girls are going to be all over you. 8)

I wish I started dancing when I was your age.

8. luh

luh Active Member

well five years, they are five years older too :wink:

yeah I'm a guy. I mean keeps fun even dancing with older followers.
    we have a "good" ratio over here. 1/4 or even 1/5 (lead/follow)
    I mean there are a lot of people who wanna dance. (i put good in quotes out of purpose - that ratio isn't even good for leads - we all know that)

Do you think there are more male or female swing dancers ?
    just curious. what are you by the way? lead or follow?
    luh

9. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

I'm a guy/lead.

Unless your communit is very stattic, there should be some new girls joining up over time. So while most people get older, there should also be some new and younger people too.

Also, age difference mean less when you get older. While you're fifteen, someone at twenty may seem much older. But when you're twentyfive, someone at thirty is just a little bit older.

10. luh

luh Active Member

maybe I'm just not very patient.

11. blue

blue New Member

Btw, I wouldn't call myself a "swinger". The word has funny connotations. DF:ers are in unusually little prone to voting in polls (I don't know why!) but maybe you'd get more participation if you changed "swingers" to "swing dancers" it the thread title.

Maybe I am overreacting, I don't really know what the word sounds like to the native English speakers...

Edit: typo

12. cierre boca y baile

cierre boca y baile New Member

At least in the states (not sure about else where), it is most commonly
    used to refer to couples who like to swap partners with other couples for an evening and I don't mean dancing.

13. blue

blue New Member

That was was I was thinking about, yes.

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Swinger as in a dancer who does swing is also acceptable. i'm almost 30, but not there yet. :wink: :)

15. luh

luh Active Member

thanks for pointing it out. changed it - now without bad connotations.:wink:
    luh

16. genie

genie New Member

In my area, most lindy hoppers tend to be in their 20s and 30s, with a smaller grouping over 40. The westies all seem to be over 55. There is only a sprinkling of westies under 35.

A few of the venues that are all ages seem to be attracting teenagers now (for the lindy scene). So lots and lots of variety.

17. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol: This one makes sense. Swingers definitely means something different!

Don't know why I've all of a sudden appointed myself to be terminology judge. :?

18. blue

blue New Member

When next round of beginner's classes start, why don't you recruit some friends? :idea:

19. luh

luh Active Member

It seems if the potential follows in my age seem to be more interested in drinking a lot (just as information for those who don't know - we're allowed to drink partially in germany with 16)
    And it is pretty obvious that a lot of girls just try to generally avoid me, because I'm a 'weird' guy, who thinks for himself, and does what he actually really likes to do.
    People in my age often act very strange - almost childish.
    There is one accomplishment for the next dance. I'm bringing one potential lead to the dance. he is almost my age (18 ).
    luh

20. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You should attend a few UCWDC events . . . most are under 30, maybe een 25, but there is such huge turnouts, that maybe all you see is older WCS dancers, cause most of the "kids" have to go to bed!!! J/K . . .

Actually, I see a very young crowd where I go . . .