Swing Discussion Boards > how old are you swing dancers?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by luh, Feb 13, 2005.

?

How old are you?

1. till 15

99.5%
  2. 16 - 25

0.5%
  3. 26 - 35

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 36 - 45

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 46 - 55

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 56 - 65

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. above 65

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. heartgrl2k

heartgrl2k New Member

I'm 25 and probably the youngest person in our dance club (but it's only 21 and up). The ages range from 25 to 70+. We dance to popular music, though. The music is more important to me than the age of the person I'm dancing with. (Although I love older music too!) As long as they can keep the beat and know the music, bring 'em on!

2. Diavo

Diavo New Member

"Swingster" is also a good word of us! 8)

The Washington DC crowd's age is a bell curve: fewer teenagers than 20s, fewer 20s than 30s-40s, fewer 50s+ than 30s-40s.

There's a bad connotation I've noticed in DC that the younger you are the less experience you are first assumed as having. When I hit the floor with my girl on a fast song we surprise a lot of people (btw, I'm 24).

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

. . . only if your "head" is not where it is supposed to be . . .

I'm so glad you volunteered . . . are the administrators reading that we finally have a volunteer??? J/K tacad . . .

4. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

On a Friday night, when us older dancers are leaving the building we may pass some younger dancers who are waiting outside for their parents to pick them up! So the age difference is really widespread, from those who are yet unable to drive to those of us who are counting off the years until retirement!

5. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

In our area, the youngsters tend to do the ECS classes and events, older do WCS. THe average in my dance club is probably around the 45-55 age, with some notable exceptions: a couple of people over 80 and several youngsters around 16. We have had several 18-25 age group ladies and gentleman show up, but do not last long. I think probably one reason is that WCS is so much more difficult to learn in the beginning than ECS, that in their exuberance and impatience, young people move on, WCS being too technical. Of course, i could be wrong

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yes, but we are not outside waiting for someone to give us a ride. And we can go drink a beer or two, or go eat breakfast, or maybe go home with that person we are leaving with . . . they probably can't do much of this if they're waiting for a ride from their "Mom." :wink:

7. Beto

Beto Active Member

I wonder if DC's like that too. Part of what I didn't like about the WCS crowd here was the fact that everyone seemed to be 40 or 50+. Not the same as the younger crowd you get with salsa (20's to 60+).

Hmm, time to check out the lindy scene.

8. Diavo

Diavo New Member

At Glen Echo (DC) by ~11pm a significant number of people have left -- as many older (40+ --too tired by then :wink: ) as the younger (highschool aged --curfew :?: ).
    This leaves plenty of room for 24-yr-old Diavo and the Hot Shots to do our thing. 8)

9. luh

luh Active Member

great so i'm not the only one who is thinking that way 8)

you're never gonna see me leaving at 11pm or earlier. :p

I once got the compliment of one of our teachers in the club as: "Most energetic dancer in the club - not missing one song during the whole club night" (and as you probably know - I'm 16 - not time to get my parents to get me...)

Another reason, to not go home after a dance :p

But it's good to see, there seem to be 'some' young people out there. even if they are not in this forum.

But I get a little confused.
    Someone mentioned, that ECS is easier than WCS. I just looked up where the difference is, and i found that they both derrived from Lindy hop.

I mean if i compare lindy hop and jitterbug, it's obvious which one is easier (and i always take the jitterbug to teach people, if there are some who are willing to get taught .. :p )
    But where is the difference between Lindy Hop and Lindy Hop ???
    (I don't wanna start a spam war on naming dances - but that doesn't mean i'm interested in the answer)
    luh

10. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

I don't know lindy hop, or ecs. I have only been exposed to each. I did take a basic ECS dance lesson, once. I will tell you though, that Wcs and ECS, though derived from the same dance, are very much different dances. WCS is danced in a slot, ECS is danced in a circular motion, ECS is dance with a ""bounce" WCS is danced smooth and into the floor. WCS is danced to slower music---around 80 tp 130 bpm, for the most part. ECS starts at 130 and up (generally, in this part of the country anyway ). WCS is more slinky and sensual, ECS is more exuberant.
    ECS, at least in the beginning, is much less dependent upon pattern development than WCS. My basic understanding is that ECS really does not include the aerials, that is more Lindy, but since I do not do either, it is a very small understanding

11. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Heck, if you think dancing with someone +10 years on you is intimidating, how about dancing with someone HALF YOUR AGE? I went swing dancing once at a concert. Wound up dancing with this 15 year old girl!!!!

I'm just saying don't give up hope. Soon the people you dance with will be younger than you too. :)

12. Keith & Rita

Keith & Rita Member

We are East Coast swingers in the next to oldest group. Actually, Rita has one more month before she is official! [​IMG]

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

That was the best fact stated yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. luh

luh Active Member

hehe. well i guess i never looked at it from that position.
    yesterday, something REALLY weird happened to me. i mean i felt really strange.
    i was dancing with that lady,which was obviously older than me, but that wasn't the weird part. After the dance she did something which just a mom would do, and than actually told me that she has a son in my age. :oops:

i guess i never looked it, that she would be dancing with a sons friend, but dancing with a friends mom???

thanks for giving me the advice of not giving up.
    luh

EDIT: typo

15. quartertothree

quartertothree New Member

I'm 17, so i'm dancing with people much older most of the time. there are 4 or 5 other younger dancers (my age) that I see ofen , but thats about it. Its actually okay though, because you can learn alot from dancing with older guys, but it would be cool to have more people my age. It does kinda stink that people think that since you are young, you dont know anything. I think alot of people are kinda scared off by it. :(

Diavo do you dance at Tom and Deb's venues? I'm assuming you do, since you mentioned Chevy Chase. -Maryam

16. Nasty_Burger

Nasty_Burger New Member

I'm 22 and very very very new to swing dance.

17. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I dance with a nine year old. I am about 3 times her age. :wink: :)

18. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Which reminds me, a year and a half ago on a summer camp for both Lindy and Boogie (++), I danced with a girl in class who were around 10 years old! I used the lighest touch/lead I could manage, and she followed very well (she was the national champion in Boogie Woogie, children class ).

19. luh

luh Active Member

long time since i last checked in here.

At my last dance workshop i had a 10 yr old girl. She had no rythm, no feeling for the music, and could not keep her mind at the steps. But she had a lot of fun. I guess that's what counts.

At the new class i'm taking, there is a girl, which seems to be pretty young. It looks if she is there with her father. I have no clue how old, but the guessings in our class are between 13-14.
    I don't know why, but she won't talk to me. though i don't know if she speaks to anyone in the class.
    luh

20. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

You'd have to. There's a city wide curfew ( at least during the school year) where if you're under 18 you can't be on the streets past midnight (i think).

I too have been the youngest person for awhile. I just turned 21 (yay!) and people still get freaked out when I go to the bar and order a drink 'cause there's used to me being young. We've got a smallish college crowd, but I would say most people are 25-35.