Swing Discussion Boards > how old are you swing dancers?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by luh, Feb 13, 2005.

?

How old are you?

1. till 15

99.5%
  2. 16 - 25

0.5%
  3. 26 - 35

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 36 - 45

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 46 - 55

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 56 - 65

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. above 65

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. luh

luh Active Member

isn't college the age from 18-22?

here they should throw me out past midnight. But they never do. It could be that they just think that i'm 18, or as my guess is, they are just too lazy to care about those things. Few weeks ago, i was at swing party (open one), that took till 3 am. And when I'm out I'm often one of the last ones who leave the danceplace.

Where they care is when you try to get into discos. There you get kicked out. (at 12:00)
    luh

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Kids are fun to dance with, for sure. :)

3. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

53 [the poll appears to be disabled now]. I recently discovered that I have a nickname in Lindy class: the Silver Fox (though I can't imagine why).

I didn't start learning to dance until 5 years ago, when I was 48. I started West Coast a little over 3 years ago and Lindy about 2.5 years ago.

Our Lindy scene has a wide range of ages, from young teens to a former WWII Navy fighter pilot (though he shows up mainly just for the classes). The West Coast scene is a bit grayer.

4. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

In the whole scene there might be 15 of us that young... most people are 25+. The midnight rule isn't a venue rule. Inside the city limits of DC, andy cop can arrest you for being under age and out after curfew if you don't have one of like 3 excuses (I don't remember them 'cause I turned 18 before the law went into affect). When I was at the DC lindy exchange, a friend of mine, who is 22, got stopped by the police who thought she was out past curfew...... :lol:

5. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Been awhile since I've been in this too. :wink:
    I just dance at Glen Echo every Satterdae, regardless of who's puttin' it on. :wink:
    I used to go to Chevy Chase ~4 years ago for a while then stopped. I went once this past Valentine's Day w/ my doll but it's so small & hot there (and that was in Feb!). I really really like Glen Echo -- the atmosphere, the crowd, etc. Hate the lack of AC though. :oops: <--hot!

@setsuna713 -- I didn't know DC had a curfew, wow. Doesn't bother me though, I'm 24.

As I had mentioned on Page2, DC has a bell curve of population age, with it's max between 30-40 yrs old I think. Sometimes at Glen Echo you'll see a group of teenagers/college students together, but they aren't frequent dancers.
    There is a group of us "Swing Kids" (ie, currently from 18-24) who frequent Glen Echo, we generally hang out at a back corner of the floor because it offers the most dance space. "Swing Kid" is our mentality -- watch the movie; love for fast raw swing [esp neoswing] music and an Anything Goes attitude toward cool moves & steps -- Street Swing is not stuck structurally into a category like Lindy/WCS/ECS and you can't take lessons to learn it. :p
    The core of us Swing Kids I refer to as The Hot Shots for rather obvious reasons. :wink: :wink:

6. dnquark

dnquark New Member

I've met a 15 year old girl at a lindy event, and a 16 year old doing hustle. They were by far some of the best follows on the floor. And have a seemingly inexhaustible supply of energy.

In general, people on the extreme ends of the age spectrum who are regulars at dance events tend to be really good, at least in the lindy community.

7. luh

luh Active Member

@DWise - it should still work. I did not put any limit on the poll.

sorry, but that's totally blue. Why should you NOT be out after a certain time. Sometimes i'm glad that i live in such a liberal country.

I'm trying to get more young people into my scene. It's tough. Any suggestions? I tried it in my high school, where i did some dancing in gym with my class, and than tried to put up a dancing group. (just for dancing, no showdancing or such stuff). Noone came. The girls in my age (17) seem to be more interested to go out and get drunk.
    And it's funny. It's so way easier to get someone from the age 19, to do some lindy. I have no clue, what changes so drastically in these years.
    luh

8. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

The city was having a pretty bad time with kids ( I do mean kids, a lot of them under 16) getting into trouble late at night (there was a rash of teenage car-thief gangs that were operating at night) that they put the curfew into effect. Exceptions are things like driving home from school events, work (though I think child labor laws cap how much time you have to have between work at night and school the next morning). When i was under 18 my parents set the curfew anyway.... and it was never long after midnight so it didn't ever bother me......

9. luh

luh Active Member

oh, okay, well, that's not cool. (thief gangs)
    I'm just not sure if it's good to put a curfew on. (if that is the solution, that's what i mean)
    My parents have a curfew for me too. (midnight), but i guess since the times when i go out, are the times, when i don't come back home anyway before the next morning, because i have to stay some place. so they won't notice when I'm coming back at 12:00 or at 3 am. 8)
    luh

10. Diavo

Diavo New Member

If "blue" is slang for "sad" / "pathetic" then I just found a new word for my hep vocabulary, thanks! 8) [And I thought *I* was the king of jive :wink:]

When I was 17-18 I also had a midnight curfew via parents (though I was a good kid and still am), but if I was out swing dancing the curfew didn't matter to them. :D

11. luh

luh Active Member

Well, you see, you're never perfect. I'm not king of jive, but I'm "bloody-tounge" veit.
    who ever cares about parents curfew? i mean seriously ;)
    luh

12. Diavo

Diavo New Member

One thing I notice is the younger swing dancers tend to dig into the culture more. All ages have an equal tendency to like dressing up and finding vintage threads. But younger people tend to go in for the slang too, and blend it with modern stuff.

Here's a list of Neo "Swing Slang" I put together years ago (and have edited since).
    www.geocities.com/CoolestIntentions/swinglingo.html

13. luh

luh Active Member

there is even a book released about swing slang. I can't remember the title though. Have to look that up.
    luh

14. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Cab Calloway's Dictionary of Jive, is that what you're thinking of?

On the Lee Press-On & The Nails website Lee has 3 slang dictionaries, including Cab's.
    http://www.leepresson.com/slang.html

15. luh

luh Active Member

you mean the one from king of hideho? might be. Not sure.
    luh

16. chandra

chandra New Member

Im 16, and *gasp* a WCS dancer!

I wish there were more younger guys at events, as the youngest ussually looks 30.

Why is it, that the age group of WCS is so much older???? It seems to me like a dance teenagers should enjoy- there allowed to be slinky and sexy without being called mean names!

In my crowd Lindyhop became a really pop culture thing for my school. Half of them learned lindy, and they all really liked swing. But when I tried to bring them to WCS classes they kept asking me where the swing music is. None of those people dance anymore, except for 2, and aside from our two teachers, they are the only other people in our dance scene (small town) so, if you look at it ratio wise, its actually more than half young people.

Veit, Ill move to germany and you can dance with me. Ill learn Lindy if you promise to learn WCS!

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Ah, you youngsters . . . what's age got to do with WCS? What do you want to do . . . dance or date?

Do you think that Keith, Rita, I can't keep up with you? On the contrary . . . I think we'd work your tails off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. chandra

chandra New Member

I never implied you wouldnt be able to keep up with me, Im sure you could outdance me any day. It has more to do with comfort level. Of course the best dancers Ive danced with are older men, because theyve had more time to practise (im sure there are exceptions to this). I enjoy dancing with older men, and its all well and good.
    However, I would have more fun if there were more people my age, simply because its SOCIAL dancing. even though my dance crew hangs out, there like 40. I would prefer to socialize with people my own age, I get tired of being all mature, and I want to just be immature and stupid with people my own age.
    There Is also the part of the dance that is very flirtatious. I am not so comfortable dancing that with older men, simply because there are alot of creeps in my town. Im not saying all, or even any older male dancers are creepy, Im just not quite comfortable, because of certain incidents in my home town. All in all, I have more fun dancing with, and enjoy the dance more, with younger people. There are of course MANY MANY exceptions to this. And in general, age doesnt matter, I get used to it.
    But it would be nice seeing some younger faces. Some 20 year old guys even, I wouldnt complain about.
    And Im not complaning, now, Im sorry if it seemed like that!

19. Mitra

Mitra New Member

I can't say I am a swinger persay, although I do love the dance. I'm 19 though, and just with ballroom in general as well, most people are older than me by quite a few years.

20. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I knew what you meant chandra, I was taking up slack for the older DF'ers . . . :wink: