Salsa > How popular is "on 2" in your town?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by DanceMentor, Aug 25, 2004.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Obviously, the "on 2" style of Salsa is the predominant form in New York, but I'm wondering if there are other places where the majority of dancers dance the "on 2". Here in Atlanta, I would say maybe 10% of dancers do "on 2" (at the most).

2. DiAnAoN1

DiAnAoN1 New Member

Orlando is a mainly on 1 city but the best group of dancers dance on 2.

3. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

On2 is pretty much limited to specialty workshops which reminds me there's one coming up this weekend. :D

Hi Diana. Glad to see you're okay after the hurricane madness. :D

My 1500th post. Yay!!!!! :)

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Way to go Peach!!! :cheers:

5. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Maybe 10% here, that would be stretching. I'm one of them though!

6. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Well, there is a reason it is called NY Style...

Other than NY, there is as far as I know no place where On2 is the predominant style.

Everywhere I have been to, however, the ones that do dance On2 are the most advance dancers.

Not because after acheiving a certain level of salsa On1, you get bored and have to dance On2 to enjoy yourself, but mainly I suppose because the more you dance, the deeper your knowledge of salsa is. So only the more advance dancers get to learn about all the different styles of salsa, get to know the different types of music (timba, mambo, salsa romantica, dura, gorda...) and as the pasionate people they are, they always search for more means to express themselves to those different styles of music, and the different feelings they want to convey.

my 2 cents for the day.
    Don't ask me to be much deeper in my reflection though, it was my birthday yesterday and I'm a bit tired 8)

7. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Happy (belated) birthday, Lita! How did your birthday dance go? Did you get to dance as a follow?

8. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Scotland is very much an on1 scene (except perhps for Cuban style dancers who prefer to break on3 -- not many). I believe there are two teachers who teach NY on2 in Edinburgh, and I saw one of them dancing on2 a couple of weeks ago, but it's very rare to see on2 dancing around here.

I saw some on2 dancing by London dancers, and I believe that's where you see the highest concentration of on2 dancers in the UK, but even in London I believe it's not that common (and is very much associated with elitism/snobbery :sigh:).

9. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Bucharest is an ON1 city! Nobody dances on2... maybe by mistake :lol:

I did dance on2... but I can only follow... :( I cannot explain it very well... I mean... it doesn't seem too difficult, but the moment I do shines I get back to on1... :)

10. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Aarhus is a clear on 1 area. But sometimes a couple is flirting with the on2 thing.

11. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Though when I got there 5 or 6 people burst out in a loud "Happy Birthday", I escaped the birthday dance.

Well actually, they have scheduled it for next monday. They did not want to do it before my actual birthday, and as someone put it, "anyways, we do not have a camera tonight. And don't even think about not coming next time, we'd get you the one after that"...

Besides, he did post the message on a french forum that they'd get me next monday, so I guess I only got a few days break, but I'm going to have to fight my shy nature :oops: (and avoid triping on my own foot in front of the cam...)

Oh well :roll:

Let's face it, I'm both scared and thrilled by the idea anyway ;)

12. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Happy birthday and good luck! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Happy Belated Lita!! :cheers:

14. Sabor

Sabor New Member

almost none here.. only 3 people .. i'm one of'em.. but i dance power 2 not eddie torres style

15. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Happy Bday Lita!!!

Puerto Rico is predominately an on2 place. There will be a few here or there that dance on1 but you can safely bet that 98% of the dancers will be doing on2 (Power 2).

16. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

Jamaica is most definately ON1 country!!! but you have a handful (literally) of person who dance cuban ON2

17. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Is Cuban on2 the same as Son, or something different?

18. Sabor

Sabor New Member

Far as i know.. Cuban timing is different .. its not on 1 or on 2.. its described as clave oriented .. as con clave or contra clave.. could get complicated fixing a count to it .. but they follow music instruments and not counts.. like the bass for instance

19. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

Lisbon is definitely an ON1 town (and also Oporto, I think). You see the ocasional couple playing around with ON2 but that´s it.

I wanna learn ON2 so badly but I don´t know where I can. :cry:

20. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Son is danced on Contra Tiempo, which as my understanding is, means on2... but as Sabor states, there is no counting when cubans dance, they dance to the bass... or the percussion... which means by feel.