Salsa > How popular is "on 2" in your town?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by DanceMentor, Aug 25, 2004.

1. tj

tj New Member

You're welcome.

2. Legato Bluesummers

Legato Bluesummers New Member

In Okinawa it is a avery small percentage...maybe 10%

It is only danced by the truly advanced salseros/salseras.

3. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I had my first on2 lesson this weekend! :shock: :shock: :banana: :banana: :banana: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

4. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

You live in Okinawa? I LOVE the place! How big is salsa there?

5. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Not anymore! On2 is here in Orlando!!! :banana:
    Oh, and my 3508th post!! Yay!! :lol: :lol:

6. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

You mean 3608th? :wink:

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Definitely 3608th!! And I'm happy for you peachie!! :cheers: :together: :) :wink: :)

8. Slawek

Slawek New Member

In Warsaw most dancers dance on 1 (at least those who keep the beat :) ). But among most advanced dancers on 2 is very popular (Eddie Torres style of course, not Palladium). Most of them were trained to dance on 1 but then switched to on 2 because it better suits the music that our DJs play (a lot of mambo).

As for other towns in Poland. On 2 is becoming popular in Krakow and in Gdansk. In the rest of the Poland people dance mainly on 1 or cuban style.

9. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I'm in NY City and I've yet to see anyone dance on2. What is that anyway? :mrgreen:

10. alemana

alemana New Member

slawek - tell me more about the salsa scene in poland! i lived there from 1993-95 (before i myself discovered salsa) and i'm so interested to hear what the club scene is like!

11. peachexploration

Yup, that's what I meant. Got too happy when I was typing. :D

12. peachexploration

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I don't think there are any on2 dancers in Indy... I've watched and danced with the best here and I've never seen it.

14. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Here is Atlanta there is a small group where that is all they do, and then many of the other dancers that have been around for a while have at least been exposed to it. For a while, I thought it was going to have a big growth period, but it never seemed to blossam.

15. David

David New Member

Sydney is primarily On1, however "NY" On2 is growing quite well. Over the last few months I've been seeing more and more people starting On2 who don't know any other kind of dance. Although as has been mentioned in other places most of the On2 people are those who are already fairly proficient dancing On1, also the top performers/troupes are all On2 now.

KW... the male instructor would have been Oliver Pineda. The girls, well I could fire off a few names that would most likely be those you danced with but it wouldn't mean much to most. If you're curious I'm happy to do so though.

16. jhb

jhb New Member

This is the first I've seen of this thread but I have a comment here.

The Bass line in latin music is varied, and it is not uncommon to here it play on the one on both sides of the 'clave', and it sometimes emphasizes the one on both sides. When the one is 'skipped' on the 2-3 side of the clave, it is usually played on the one on the other side of the clave.

When the bassline starts on the two, it is also often the three which is most emphasized. Really, it just depends on the song.

Also, I don't think experienced dancers listen to any particular instrument specifically to get a feel for the music. You just listen to the music as a whole, and like all music, the downbeat (the first beat of the measure) takes most of the emphasis of the music.

Secondly, to clarify, salsa is 4/4. There is no question about it. ALL salsa is in 4/4 time. I think you are confusing the time signature of the music with something else, but Salsa is not 6/8 in any way. Some rumba forms which preceded it were, but Salsa is not.

17. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Glad you got to it before me, salsa uses a 4/4 time signature. Don't confuse the clave structure with the overall time signature.

As far as my scene goes, Denver is an on1 town for sure but there's a small core group of us that dance on2. We're trying to increase its popularity here.

18. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

Oliver Pineda is coming to melbourne for the Latin festival workshops that are taking place over the weekend, but unfortunately, the costs are too high and have other plans so it's a bit of a bummer that I don't get to take part in his classes....

Few weekends ago, 9 dancers (from latin motion) from sydney came to melbourne for a long weekend... one of the leads gave me an option to choose between on1 and on2.. I guess on2 is really growing in sydney, which is great! In the mean time, there are only grand total of 5 leads that I'm aware that dance on2 socially in melbourne...

19. David

David New Member

Yeah, I know... unfortunately I wasn't able to make it down with them due to other commitments :cry: Sounded like it was going to be a barrel of laughs too. Naturally they told me all about it afterwards and made me sorry I hadn't been able to get down there.

LatinMotion is the leading On2 school in Sydney, and indeed all those you saw dance mainly On2 these days. Pity you wont get to do Oli's class, he's a damn good teacher and a phenomenal dancer.

20. guslilla

guslilla New Member

Here in Brazil the scene is kinda like this:

70% Not aware (OnWhatever)
    29.5% On1
    0.5% Eddie Torres On2 (me and my wife included)

Great topic! Great forum!

Gus