General Dance Discussion > How Should I Dance To "Rainbow Connection"?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by RainbowConnection, Apr 12, 2014.

1. RainbowConnection

RainbowConnection New Member

Greetings DanceForumers, new guy in the house. I've been a lifelong awkward self-conscious non-dancer, but with my wedding coming up I figured now would be a great time to make myself get into it. And I've actually gotten really into it as I've learned a few things. (Where has this been my whole life?)

Anyway, my first dance with my mom is to the song from The Muppet Movie (1979), obviously "Rainbow Connection." Search "Kermit rainbow connection" on YouTube and it'll show up as the top link.) Not terribly original but it is definitely a song with a special, sentimental meaning to the both of us.

So the song is in triple meter, so naturally I went to YouTube and searched "How To Waltz Basic Pattern" and clicked on the top link, made by MonkeySee.

Problem is, to faithfully do this step to Rainbow Connection would be a little too fast for both of us, I think. (I'm a complete novice and she loves to dance but isn't a pro by any means, and is in her mid-60's so she requested nothing too fast.)

We live in different states so taking lessons together is not an option. Can you give me a few search terms to put into Google and YouTube that would at least guide me toward things that would make it look like I have even a slight amount of knowledge of what I'm doing? (I'm a musician so staying on beat is not a problem.) OR...do you think I should just stick with the basic waltz box step thingy but do it way slow?

Thanks for all your help!

2. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I've heard it most commonly played as a waltz, yes. (edited note: I mention this, because I have also heard live musicians try to 'interpret' this as a foxtrot with little success- you just never know...)

Also: If you don't want to invite children to your wedding, that's totally your choice (one I would gladly agree with), but make sure you print it on the invitation "We request that children not attend our reception" or somesuch. You'll get a couple whiners who can't cut the cord, but stick to your guns.

Maybe if you selected a set of figures, and each of you took lessons separately on them, and practiced whenever you could meet? It's only too fast if you don't practice it, and don't forget that today's modern music miraculous technology can slow down your music for you, so you can still dance to it at your own pace.

If you'd not mind sharing your location via pm, who knows- some of us might be closer than you think?

RainbowConnection likes this.
  3. RainbowConnection

Thanks for the reply, Hedwaite. Some really good advice in there. I feel confident we would both be capable of doing it at full speed, except that my mother had (minor) foot surgery last year, and while she has pretty much fully recovered and has no trouble walking or anything, I don't know if she could go a full 3 1/2 minutes and keep up. Or maybe she could, but I don't want to make her too uncomfortable.

Hedwaite likes this.
  4. Hedwaite

AH, this brings up another point- you don't have to dance the whole length of the song. Most performances of any sort (first dances, parent/offspring, showcases at studios, etc.) are NOT, in fact, three or so minutes unless you're the entertainment for the evening. Just dance a minute and a half to two minutes, find a good spot to fade it out, and call it good.

RainbowConnection likes this.
  5. RainbowConnection

Interesting. I hadn't even thought of that.

6. Hedwaite

I didn't mention it earlier, but I do firmly believe you should get some waltz (six lessons, at least) from a studio with a good instructor who will teach you how to lead some commonly-danced basic figures. If you're a good, clear lead, and she's a semi-regular dancer, she'll be able to adapt to what you're trying to tell her, with a little beforehand practice.

Ailuene and RainbowConnection like this.
  7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi RainbowC, only large steps will make it fast. Take super-tiny steps, don´t mean to do half-turns, also 15° will be fine.

Only want to add, that you don´t have to start dancing right at the beginning of that piece. Walk to the dance floor when the music starts, stand still, look at each other, make an invitation gesture, slowly walk to each other, and three minutes easily are gone, then slowly take her in your arms, left hand, right hand, start swaying… and another three minutes already are gone...

8. tancos

tancos Active Member

I agree that you can eat some time with an invitation gesture, but I think opendoor is being overly optimistic. After more than a minute or so (90 seconds max) people's attention will start to wander.

danceronice likes this.
  9. Hedwaite

Again, though- don't drag the dance out by hogging the floor for four whole minutes. Two minutes, tops, unless you're actually putting on a show. It's sweet and all, but short is sweet, too. :-D

danceronice likes this.
  10. tancos

tancos Active Member

One way you can stretch the "invitation gesture" without boring people is making it an amusing skit. I once did something involving a (fake) heated argument about whether we were using the right music before starting the dance.

opendoor likes this.
  11. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

You can also slow the music down to make it more comfortable for your mom.

I agree about not using the whole song. People get bored, particularly if you repeat the same patterns over and over.

12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Rainbow Connection was originally written for Kermit... however they are TONS of cover versions, most notable The Carpenters version, in addition to Sarah McLachlan, Kenny Loggins... Dixie Chicks.... the list goes on and on.

I would suggest searching some of the other versions to find a tempo that is closer to what you feel comfortable with.

13. davedove

davedove Active Member

I really like Sarah McLachlan's cover and have thought of doing a showcase to it.:cool:

14. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

If you want to do actual waltz, I strongly suggest you both take lessons. Get a list from your instructor to send to her instructor so she learns the same ones, and the practice as much as you can whenever you have the opportunity. If you aren't going to learn to do it properly, it's best to just slow dance. It's not as easy to learn from videos as you think, especially if you've never been trained as a partner dancer. It could end up being very stressful for both of you and not look very good...slow dancing at least you could enjoy yourself and not look like you're trying to do something fancy you don't know how to do.

Lui and Larinda McRaven like this.
  15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

The movie version is not actually that fast...if you slow it down much more it's going to be painfully, awkwardly slow. And I agree, three minutes is FOREVER unless you're watching really good dancing.

16. old dog

old dog Member

I found a nice slower rendition of The Rainbow Connection (about 96 bpm) that would be good for waltz, but it has no vocal/lyrics which might be important for the OP. See (hear) this version on the album "Fifty Relaxing Piano Classics" (2011) available on iTunes.

Hedwaite likes this.
  17. Hedwaite

I love those compilations like that. Moon River and Edelweiss are two I found from one of those from a Wal-Mart sale bin once, and I've used them so often.