Ballroom Dance > How tall are they?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomdancertoo, Jun 11, 2009.

1. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

Does anyone know how tall the top competitors are? Often times I when I watch the videos if they are really tall or just "stretched out to the max" and shorter than imagined. ONe couple I wonder is 3rd rated standard champions Victor Fung.

2. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

From seeing them in person at Blackpool... Talked to Anna Mikhed for a bit, both of us in flat shoes (best way to tell height:)), and she is about the same height as me, maybe a tiny bit shorter so I would say 5'7"-5'7.5". She looks taller because she's really thin! I would say Victor is 6'. Mirko is probably 5'10"-5'11", Alessia 5'4"-5'5". Domenico and Gioia are pretty short, so are Paolo and Sylvia (5'8" for the guys, 5'2"-5'3" for the ladies). Similar for Roberto and Morena. Wilkins is probably 5'11"-6', Hazel probably 5'7". Arunas is 6'1"ish, Katusha 5'7"ish.

3. biggestbox

biggestbox Member

victor is 5'8-5'9

4. Really, Mirko is under 6'? Victor is closer to 5'10" - 6'.

5. TAK

TAK Member

Good question. I always assumed Yulia Z. was tall and was very surprised when someone posted here that she's about 5'3", but now when I see her videos I can't help noticing how small she is. It's funny...

6. Benjy

Benjy Member

What is notable about Yulia is not just her height (though she's definitely not tall) but just how TINY she is. I would wager that many pre-pubescent girls could not fit into her pants. I have seen her costumes up close (the designer that I go to for my latin-wear used to do her show costumes with Max, and had many for sale).

Andrei gavriline is quite tall. He's taller than I am, so I would bet he's just over six feet. It's hard to say how tall Elena is, because Andrei is so much taller. I would say she's not taller than 5'2" however, from meeting her twice.

Luca is a giant, and so is Lorraine. He's not just tall (over six feet) but also much... larger than I'm used to seeing in a dancer.

Max is about 5'6", I would guess, maybe a little taller. 5'7"-8". Beata is quite short, probably around Elena's height.

7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Yulia is definitely tiny. Only met her the once, and based on what people said here, onl a couple inches taller than me, but when she did pro show at one of our comps and I passed her afterwards, just seemed competely tiny.

8. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Gotta disagree with that. Saw them up close and personal recently, and they are neither exceptionally tall nor large.

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

All depends on your point of reference.

As we saw in sewing thread earleir, I'm someone who has to SHORTEN every pair of slacks I buy, Joe has to serarch to find pants LONG enough.

10. emkey

emkey New Member

One of my assistant coaches said that generally latin dancers are small or short (though Eugene Katsevman who is around 5'7 or 5'8 is already considered above average in my country but is probably small for americans) and I think this is quite true looking at Yulia and Cocci now and Elena as well. I think the few exceptions to this is Vaidotas and Jurga, Andre Gaverline and Stefano Di Filippo.

I think Tatsiana Lavinovich and Zoran Phlol are probably the same height as Yulia and Riccardo

11. chica latina

chica latina New Member

I can think of very good latin dancers that are tall: Brian Watson/Carmen, Max Chermokovski, Delyan/Boriana, Edyta, Sergey/Elena

12. emkey

emkey New Member

how tall are delyan and boriana? lol I never really noticed when I see them in competitions they seemed to be the same height as everyone else! lol

13. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

There is no way Victor is 5'8"-5'9". I am 5'8" (and 5'10.5" in shoes) and have taken from him and danced with him. He was taller than I am in shoes. He's certainly taller than Anna as well and she's basically my height, maybe a tiny bit shorter.

Ricardo and Yulia are short. He's probably 5'7", she is about 5'2"ish. She IS very tiny, looks like a really young girl without makeup. We spent a memorable 2 hours practicing on the same floor as them (just the four of us) in Blackpool and I felt like giant the whole time:)

14. emkey

emkey New Member

If I we're you, I would have stopped practicing and gawked and screamed like a little school girl for fandom ... lol

15. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Ummm, an why are you assuming that didn't happen at least 10 times during our practice?!;)

On the other hand, it was a good practice since we were so inspired. And we weren't even practicing latin!

16. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

yes Andrei is tall at least 6', when he and Igor we side by side Igor is taller. Elena is about my height 5'1" ish to 5'2"ish. They are adorable together in person. She is so petite and sweet

17. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I thnk anna is abourt 5'5'' and victor is about 5"9-5'10..

18. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Fun the guessing game :)

19. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

:shock: Having only ever seen Ricardo and Yulia on tv, I NEVER would have guessed she was that petite! I'm going home tonight and look at that recording again.

20. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

Soooo, there's still hope for us short people!!!