Salsa > How to control Ladies hair style when dancing

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by princeghana, Feb 4, 2013.

1. princeghana

princeghana New Member

First of all i would like to compliment you guys for the good job you are doing and also introduce myself as well,

My name is Prince Owusu Banahene Sarkodie but just call me Prince, and am from Ghana and a salsa instructor as well

My problem is, most ladies find it difficult when controlling their hair on the dance floor especially those with the loooooong hair, can you guys please help me to deal with it

Thank you

2. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

The question isn't how should a woman control her hair, because we already know how. If we like our hair to fly wild, that's our thing. If we don't, we don't. We don't give much thought to how it affects the guy's dancing. In fact I rarely hear about that complaint either here or on Salsa Forums or in my home salsa community.

Guys: any thoughts? Are you often bothered by women with long hair to the extent that it ruins the dance?

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

so long as it tastes good when it flies into my mouth im ok with it:eek:

samina likes this.
  4. lawndartagain

lawndartagain New Member

I'm not often bothered by it. However, there is one follower with particularly thick hair who wears her hair in a ponytail. It is exactly the right length to smack me in the face when she turns. It does sting a bit. but it's really not a problem.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think that the underlying issue is about people being considerate....I sweat to beat the band....I have fairly long hair...if I am going to dance something that is likely to involve my hair flying around, I will put it up out of respect for the men with whom I dance....would I like to leave it down for vanity purposes? sure...but I have a care for showering my partner with wet hair, even clean good smelling hair...same with having a cover for a wet shirt...a courtesy...if that is not present, I am not really sure there is a thing the man can do about it, while being courteous himself, unless he is very skilled at simply avoiding those who don't show such care

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Steve one time inhaled a strand of my waist long hair as I spun around. I think out of consideration to all of my partners now I always have my hair under control.

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi prince, welcome to DF! Quick answer: I make it a part of the dance !

uuuuh !?

8. princeghana

princeghana New Member

wonderwoman it really disturbing lots especially when you're spinning, some guys wouldn't mind just like Mr 4 Style and iawndartagain b lut don't forget, the products they use can also course you something else, aside dancing and having fun you should also consider your health too, i don't know if you guys agree withme but that's what I think

Open door thanks for welcoming me

9. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

opendoor: hair styling means something else to salseras!

Mr 4 styles and opendoor like this.
  10. Mr 4 styles

LOL good point!!

good point !!obviously a regional and possibly ethnic variance. coarse braided african ladies hair would probably hurt like being whipped.. not always bad tho:eek:

yes the product could cause you to grow a third eye but hey your floorcraft will improve:cool:

11. princeghana

princeghana New Member

lol, anyway thanks for sharing

12. Don Silver

Don Silver Member

Funny thing: the longer I've danced, the less I've cared about the length. (I actually like long hair that is out...)

For some reason I've learned to avoid getting hit even if they are spinning. Happened in the beginning, not an issue today. A few ladies I dance with have very long hair, and they leave it out. Doesn't ruin my day.

All to say for me I'm fine if it's long and left down. Your mileage may vary.

13. Simi-Lanjiao

Simi-Lanjiao Member

Hello all! I tend to have a bad experience dancing with ladies who let their long hair down, because during underarm turns the hair would swing up and wrap itself around my forearm. Here in Asia you tend to get pretty warm when dancing and the moisture on your arm means once her hair gets whipped around your arm it will snag and jam her head as she completes her turn.

It's a generally unpleasant experience if not dangerous. So here most ladies with long hair learn to tie it up.

14. Mr 4 styles

especially if their hair is fine and clingy

15. timberamayor

timberamayor Member

I've had the unpleasant experience of slapping a guy in the face with my pony tail but as I came around it also slapped me in the face but now it was soaking wet with his sweat so I got a face full of sweat...eeeewwww.

16. princeghana

princeghana New Member

timber that is funny, but i hope you dont repeat it again

17. justforkix

justforkix New Member

Tie them properly so that they get open at dance time

18. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Being whipped in the eyes with flying hair hurts. Also, getting contact lenses knocked out by flying hair is a pain in the knat... and also because it makes it difficult to see afterward.

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

oddly enough, though I suspect it is just for the look ( because i am a sweaty beast) my pro likes my hair down...shrug

20. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

I find it very erotic when the lady slaps me in the face with her long hair. :hungry: Since she is obviously wanting to show off her flowing locks I emphasize moves like spins and rag dolls that make her hair fly. I just wish my hands weren't so sweaty sometimes because I don't want to mess her hair up -- but I can't resist thinking that maybe she feels the same way I do. Bottom line is this -- enjoy that long hair every chance you get because it sure beats butch cuts!