General Dance Discussion > How to deal with parents and public and short Latin skirts...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by SPratt74, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Ooooh. I want one of those. :D I have something similar, only not so open.

T_E

2. redhead

redhead New Member

Well I'll be selling it soon (against my will)... my teacher says it's not a "happy" color (silver, stoned with CAB)... but then when I asked him what color would be good he said "black". Go figure lol

1 person likes this.
  3. Twilight_Elena

Black is actually in my "happy colours" list. You know what's not happy? Mauve. It's like you're bruised all over.

T_E

4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh men lol. Red, green, orange, and bronze seem to be my lucky colors lol, but that won't mean that I'm not going to try on the others if I like them lol! ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we must stop caring what they think...half the time they're color blind and don't have a clue

6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol! Isn't that the truth? My sister is the same way though. I asked her to come over and look at some dresses on me, and I'm like... why am I asking the least fashionable person in my family lol? :D

7. fascination

i have come to the conclusion that it is how I feel in the thing that influences how I dance and my confidence...so I buy what I love...and I don't ask anyone else b/c I don't want to know if they think its hideous...

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

The best explanation I ever heard of guys' color-blindness was from my ex.

The way he explained it, girls see color in terms of the box of 64 Crayola colors; some girls even see more. Guys, on the other hand, see color in terms of the box of 8 Crayola colors--and they're missing a few of them.

2 people like this.
  9. fascination

yep...see the thread I bumped in fun stuff on guys that vince posted...hysterical:''pumpkin is not a color, neither is peach, and we don't even know what the hell mauve is..."lol

10. Twilight_Elena

That's cute, because I posted 4-5 posts above that mauve is a bad colour for costumes. Now I realise that maybe it's not such an obvious choice of words. :rolleyes:

T_E

11. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I'm thinking more and more everyday that it is the best solution! ;)

12. redhead

redhead New Member

Oh so true. "lavender is not a color. Lilac is not a color. I'm gonna call it all purple."

13. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Give us a color wheel and sufficient lighting and we can identify lavender, lilac, and mauve. Even fuchsia [or is that a plant?]. Or we wouldn't need a color wheel if such subtle differences of color were important to us (eg, if our job or hobby required such color discrimination of us).

A similar thing happened last week. A Japanese women refered to a green dance workshop flyer as "blue". Took me a second to remember that Japanese does not distinguish between those two colors, though I think that they have compound words for "sea-green/blue" and "sky-green/blue".

------------------------------------------------
    When men go through a mid-life crisis, they get a sports car. Women get a divorce. It's a whole different way of thinking.

14. redhead

redhead New Member

Ooh, my husband must be Japanese :) Or he just doesn't care.
    (no he isn't colorblind, they tested him at his job)

15. MultiFaceted Dancer

MultiFaceted Dancer Active Member

In our Parents day ---Their were Mini Skirts. Did they forget? As well as the Lindy and besides you are much too old to let your parents choose what clothes you should or should not wear and they should hold their opinions unless you ask for them.

16. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I'm glad my parents aren't so bad as the OP's, but my dad is still a little hesitant. He doesn't like my partner touching me in 'that way'. The fact that my partner is also my boyfriend, and that we are both 17 seems to have escaped him. And we've never let him see any more than waltz and cha cha, either. I doubt he'd be supportive of a latin costume ("L, that sort of dress is not appropriate. It could cause men to look at you")

I'm sure he'll learn to ignore it. He also doesn't like me changing at BF's place (in his sister's room) or generally spending time wit him.