Swing Discussion Boards > How to dip...not drop!

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by East Coast Bluesboy, Mar 12, 2013.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dips are only sometimes whee...done poorly? whoa

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Poorly done dips: "Ack!"

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Poorly done drops: "Splat!" :)

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You girls are so silly! What I will say is that, when I went gogling for images to illustrate dips and drops, I found them, all mixed up with each other, and aerials were mixed in there too. *shrug*

6. pygmalion

Okay. Decided to try youtube. Hah!

Here is one type of death drop. (The video is from a class.) OP: Do not attempt this at home. :D It's interesting because, even though the pro doesn't use the same words, he mentions the concept of counterbalance. He explicitly uses the word trust. As juwest mentioned, he also is obviously able to handle the weight of his partner (although she's carrying some of it during the drop itself.)

Here is what I was calling a "baby dip" yesterday. I guess it's officially called a sit dip. The lady is supporting much more of her weight and it's comparatively easy for the lady. To note: trust is mentioned again.

7. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

There are tons and tons of moves and styling you can do so it's not "boring." Plus, good technique and basics are much more important than fancy stuff like dips. Don't be one of those guys who is constantly throwing new patterns at his partner in order to keep things interesting rather than learning how to dance well.

juwest333 likes this.
  8. pygmalion

Agreed. I actually thought long and hard about whether to post the videos, because I was afraid the OP would start using these to "learn" these dips. I just wanted to make sure that we're all using the same terminology. I think that what he's calling a dip is actually a drop and off-limits at a lot of social dance venues. I also wanted to post the second video to show that there are safe dips out there.

9. pygmalion

But yeah, if he's dancing ECS, then it would be easy to entertain himself with rhythm variations that don't impact the follow at all.

10. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I do see drops done on the WCS social floor, but only by people who are very experienced. There's a couple at my ballroom studio who insist on doing all kinds of dips and drops and lifts, but they practice them together. That leader tries to do them with me and I refuse every time. Then he argues and begs. Um...no. Not going to happen. So then his response is, "Well, now what do we do, then?" GAH...just learn to dance. There's over 100 patterns in every dance that don't involve dips, drops, or lifts.

pygmalion likes this.
  11. Wow...I didn't realize a "drop" was actually a dance move! When I said "drop" in my OP, I just meant that I literally dropped her, not that I was trying to do a "drop" move. So according to the definitions and videos I've seen, it looks like what I was trying to do was a dip, but it turned into a drop (in that I accidentally dipped her too low, below my waist), which was too much weight for me to support her. I think the main problem was the counterbalance thing though. I was leaning over her rather than leaning back.

12. What do you mean by that?

13. pygmalion

I mean that, even though the rhythm for an ECS basic is triple step, triple step, rock step, there are other rhythm combinations that fit the same timing and that you can use to create fun/interest for yourself, as long as you keep your weight in the right place. If you're successful, your follow may not even know you're adding variations unless she's looking at your feet.

If you've been at swing dance socials most weeks, I bet you've seen people doing it without ever realizing what you were looking at.

I think there are a couple of really old threads here about it. I'll look.

14. I see people rock step and then just triple step once, but they're all lindy hopping. Almost all the dances I go to, apart from blues dances, are lindy hop focused. Only the beginners do east coast (with a few exceptions). Then again, as much as I've asked around, I still can't fit my mind around the difference between six-count lindy and east coast.

15. pygmalion

16. pygmalion

That was really just an aside and doesn't have anything to do with dips, other than to point out that dips and drops are not the only way (and at this point, I think not the best way) to add spice to your swing dancing.

17. Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I do always switch to a single or double step when the song is too fast for a triple step. Is there anything you can think of to add at the end of a song to kind of "wrap it up," aside from dips?

18. pygmalion

No. I don't meaning choosing single, double or triple steps to fit the tempo of the song. I mean choosing different rhythm variations within a single song and making sure to get back on the correct foot at the beginning of the next phrase. (Or not, but that's another ball of wax.)

re: Ways other than dips to "wrap it up," I'll give it some thought, since you are apparently bored with a couple simple spins. Honestly, though,my first reaction was to say, "You do realize that this is social dance and not a showcase, right?" But I decided to bite my sarcastic tongue.

I think twnkltoz is 100% spot on. Well executed basics, not flashy stuff, is what will make you a popular leader.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

and you did say it...or was it telepathy

not hard enough apparently:D;):eek:

20. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

that and boss threads:p

twnkltoz likes this.