Swing Discussion Boards > How to dip...not drop!

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by East Coast Bluesboy, Mar 12, 2013.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wise guy. ;)

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  2. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

And a charming personality.

But seriously...I really do avoid beginner leaders who try to lead fancy stuff beyond their abilities, especially if they have no fundamentals. I enjoy dancing with beginner leaders who do good basics. And I don't give a flip how you end the song. I don't really do lindy, but in WCS it could be a simple pose, a line, or a sit dip like Robert and Nicola in the video above. Or, just stop dancing and give me a hug. Whatever you do, execute it well without hurting me, and I'll be happy.

Love the quote from Mario, ECBB.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

hee hee:rolleyes:

4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. Dips gone wrong can lead to fractured tail bones, arms, concussions etc. if someone dipped me out of the blue I would not like it unless he gave me a verbal indication and I trusted his skill. Most of the dips I've done with a pro were low enough that I was not on my own balance and had to trust that he knew what he was doing.

5. pygmalion

Sorry I missed this, ECBB. I could have sworn I heard you mention blues, wanting to learn lindy, and ECS. So the counts I mentioned aren't the same. But the idea of using variations, syncopations and styling is exactly the same.

There are some older threads on lindy timing. I'll look for some, but I'll be honest and tell you I'm not super optimistic. Some of the older threads tend to be very technical and some of them got very argumentative because of the cast of characters that was in DF at the time. I'll look though.

I also think that Steve's suggestion that you look into Skippy Blair's writing is a great idea.

6. pygmalion

Here's a relatively new thread that talks about lindy hop versus ECS.

http://www.dance-forums.com/threads...dy-hop-vs-east-coast-swing.39778/#post-907232

You're asking so many questions that it's obvious you're excited about learning, ECBB. That is awesome. When you have some time, take a scroll through the swing forum and see if there's anything else that piques your interest. There's a lot of information here.:)

East Coast Bluesboy likes this.
  7. I actually read that thread a while ago...before I even joined this forum. It's actually one of the main factors that went into my decision to join DF. Basically, what I got from that thread, as well as everyone else I've asked, is that there is no clear difference. So that just muddies the water even more and makes it even more confusing!

What can I say...I love asking questions and learning! I'm very much a lifelong learner, and swing dancing has become one of my passions in life over the past few months, so that's naturally what I'm interested in learning. Only thing is, aside from this online stuff, I pretty much have to pay money out the wazoo to learn anything, which is unfortunate. So I'm going to do my best to learn as much as I can here on DF so I won't go broke :p

8. pygmalion

Hmm.

That; why I pointed you directly to the post that (I thought) spelled it out most clearly. One main difference is in the way the dance patterns are counted.

But you're right. Many swing dances are similar. As Steve pointed out in the first couple of posts in that thread, dozens of dances all came from the same roots, then developed in parallel. It would be a miracle if there wasn't a lot of overlap. There is. But, in my mind, to say that there's no difference is not accurate. That's like saying all the first cousins are the same because they all have the same grandparents and same hair color. Well... Yes and no.

This is probably worth a google. I know that there's a guy who used to participate here who (at least used to) have a very informative Balboa website. Maybe you or I can find some clearer definitions out there. :)

9. pygmalion

I googled and put some information in the relevant thread.

Don't mean to be a stickler. You're discovering this stuff all at once. But I know from experience that stuff is almost impossible to find later, if you smush it all together in one thread, under a title that has nothing to do with the topics inside. So,for the sake of people who come after you, Ill try to keep the topics separated. Hope you're not offended.