General Dance Discussion > How to do Nightclub Two Step

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Nov 8, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. Interesting. I was taught to do nightclub two step as if it's based on a series of fifth position breaks. Side step on a slow, followed by back rocks. Very similar to bolero, depending on the width of the side step. But here's an interesting interview with Buddy Schwimmer, who invented the dance. Take a peek, and come back and comment. What does everybody else out there do? How do you count NC2S?

http://www.ilovemusic.com/niteclub.htm

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

If you learn swing ballroom style you learn it with the rock step at the end of the basic. So if you learn NC2S from ballroom people perhaps that's the natural direction they take. But, just as those who never have learnt ECS from ballroom start on rock step so it is for NC2S.

I do some NC2S and think that the step shown on the link is correct. Also I count it the same way as Buddy does. However, I am not sure if I agree about this inventing idea. (being a contrarian here) Though I give Buddy full marks for vastly increasing the repertoire of and popularizing this dance. So, if that goes along with this definition of inventing a dance, then he' s the inventor.

Before I knew how to dance I did NC2S. If you have slower music and you sway to it the next step is to add a break and the natural way of doing it is a rock step. I never learnt NC2S, I just did it!!! I would see people on the dance floor (in East Africa, who were originally from Europe -- no North America here!!!) doing all these dances and I didn't know them so I did NC2S. However, I'm sure if I went to a workshop and class I could learn a lot more moves then the pathetic number that I know, about leading/following etc.

I like what Buddy says about incorporating/adapting steps from other dances and making it NC2S.

Anyway it's nice to know that NC2S is a dance. I always was a little embarassed on the dance floor :oops: as I thought it was part of freestyle partner dancing for those who didn't know any of the dances. :)I really learn something every day on DF. :oops: :) :notworth:

3. pygmalion

Good points, Sagitta. Yup, good old Buddy is generally given the credit for inventing the dance. But then, Columbus is given credit for "discovering" America, too. And you know how that goes. :? But then, the basic elements of most dances have been around a long time and in many cultures. Still, someone puts them all together, formulates some rules, and starts "preaching the gospel" of that "new" dance form. Isn't that inventing? Hmm. Must go off and think about this. Yes! I love it. Philosophy early inthe morning! Ahh! :D

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Give something a name and you become the inventor! Must name my style and see if I can proselytize it. [Just being facetious as I don't know enough to even dare to do so.]

Continuing...

[It was nine-thirty and all I had done was get up when I was supposed to be at work opening the Fine Arts library. It opens the doors to the public at ten. But the first Ithaca snow of the year kept everyone away. :) ]

I find NC2S a versatile non-intimidating dance. This year one of the local dance instructors started a once a month social dance the first Friday of every month, alternating between latin and ballroom, every other month.

So, since I have jumped into dancing and it's one of my new passions I make it my responsibility for part of the night to get all those followers sitting on the side on the dance floor.

[An aside: For the latin I use merengue and bachata since these are the easiest for newbies to grasp.]

For the ballroom social dances I usually use NC2S or just freestyle partnered dancing to get them on the floor. It's a lot less intimidating. Anyway I have never had a person who disavows any dancing ability (I have TLF etc etc...I'm sure you have all heard these before) not get NC2S if you start with the side to side sway and then move to the "basic" with the rock step. They usually are a bit concerned that I know the actual dances, and that we are not doing that, but once they see that I am having fun they relax and have a good time. The next thing I see is a lot of them trying out the actual ballroom dances. :D

The more dancing converts I have the more people I have to dance with. :bouncy: And each one with their own particular style. Oh what joys!

5. pygmalion

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

What you describe is how I was taught as well, with rock steps behind the opposite foot. From this video it appears that it is more of a back step; I'll have to try this.

This reminds me; about a week ago I was in my favorite diner having breakfast when a dance aquaintence whom I had not seen in awhile came in and we were talking about NC2S. He mentioned a local instructor who teaches NC2S as not teaching it correctly from info he got from someone in California. I wonder if he was referring to this guy Buddy.