Salsa > How to get back on beat?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by ticolora, Dec 4, 2017.

1. ticolora

ticolora Member

If for some reason (either by my mistake or phrase shift in music) I find myself dancing on a wrong beat. How do I get back on beat?

A dip is one option I know of. Are there other tricks? I am asking more from a perspective of putting follow on the right beat (even if she got off beat because of me).

I suppose going into shines could accomplish that but I don't see how I can change her footwork gracefully.

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

After a while you'll find that you can usually "drift" yourself back on beat, dancing either faster or slower than the tempo until it comes back around to you. And/or you will learn some fakes that you can use to change what beat you are on.

The easy way is to hit a pose of some sort, and hold it until the down beat comes back around. Stretch and elongate the pose while you're in it, so it looks like you are doing something for expression instead of just a kluge.

ticolora and RiseNFall like this.
  3. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Simply, Rock step ( Fwd break ), a foundation movement in the genre .

DanceMentor likes this.
  4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Yes, this is what I do. For example, you can do the forward portion of the basic twice. You could also walk around in a circle (back spot turn) for a couple of extra beats, and then Start a basic at the right moment.

ajiboyet likes this.
  5. AirColor

AirColor Member

Add extra spins. Instead of 2 do 4

ticolora likes this.
  6. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Oh, I never realized it would be so easy. Ha ha

7. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Simplicity is the key.. not in every ones capacity(spins )..