General Dance Discussion > How to hold hands during turn?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by achilles007, Oct 25, 2012.

1. achilles007

achilles007 Member

I notice that with some of my partners the connection gets broken when I'm leading them into a inside turn mostly-- on occasion it happens with the outside turn-- but it's the left turn that's really messy. This is the turn I'm referring to:

I'm just genuinely confused on this. Should the lead grip the follower's hand during the turn? I tried this and it only ended up hurting my follower, so how in the world is the leade supposed to make sure connection isn't lost? Anthony Persaud of Addicted 2Salsa has said on his videos that the lead should just worry about keeping his palm down and that it's the followers job to hold onto his hand and turn, is this true?

What's the best way to tackle this?

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

just my two cents, it is the ladies' job to turn herself and to do so under her own hand, not yours...but alot of ladies simply don't know that...what can help is to stay in closer proximity to one another in a turn, which is counter-intuitive to what alot of people tend to do...many people back away too far from one another then find the turn stretched to far to maintain hold

achilles007 likes this.
  3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

The connection in your hand must remain alive and constant. But the PLACEMENT of the connection is NOT constant.

Try having her hold her hand, fingers all together, and palm facing down. Put your hand under hers palm facing up. Now slide your hand any way you want, around, over, turn your wrist to face different ways, but always exerting the SAME amount of connection into her hand, that is NOT MOVING.

Now change roles. You stay still while she moves her hand all around yours in any configuration she wants. Now you BOTH try moving but maintaining connection. So the connection is constant but the location and direction of force is very fluid. (Kinda feels like washing your soapy hands in the bathroom!)

While she is turning under the underarm turn you both need to be aware that your hands are changing shape relative to each other, while keeping the connection soft enough to change shape yet still very much alive.

achilles007 likes this.
  4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

achilles007 is this the style of salsa that you are learning?

This video shows the typical inside or followers left turn that you would see in NYC, LA style salsa etc, and in my experience is the first one taught. The inside turn in the video you use is done via an open break.

5. achilles007

achilles007 Member

Hi, Sagitta. The teacher-- apparently-- threw at us an inside turn with an open break, without teaching us the inside turn first.

Safe to say-- it was pretty hard trying to figure out how to keep my hand in the right position while doing an open break, and turning her at the same time. Many times the connection broke and I was trying to figure out what was it that was going on wrong.

The teacher I had at the time (substitute) only spoke in Spanish, thus the problem was never really remedied.

6. achilles007

achilles007 Member

Thank you also for the video. I will watch and see how this guy does his hands and try to apply it while doing the open break at the same time.

7. achilles007

achilles007 Member

wow ... for some reason this is my first time seeing both this post and Larinda's, despite both of these being before Sagitta's... That is weird.

Anyways, thank you for your post! This makes so much sense! I had a feeling I may have been doing a bit too much trying to grab and turn. I will keep the closer proximity thing in mind,as I do have a habit of straying too far.

8. achilles007

achilles007 Member

This sounds really good! So... If I read this right. the emphasis is on keeping the same constant pressure on both of the hands touching despite them moving, or no?

I'll have to remember this for class next time, I spot trouble with this!

Thank you so much.