Ballroom Dance > How to Keep Hair for Comp Two Days

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancebug, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

In the past when I had to dance two days in a row, I just washed my hair on the first night and redid everything on the following day. But somehow I would like to keep my hairdo for two days this time.

My concern is whether I will be able to sleep comfortably. Good night sleep is very important for competitors, right? Also do you have any suggestions how to do touch-ups on the second day?

2. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

To be honest, i never sleep comfortably with my comp-hair do and most of our events are spread over two-days. But I also like not having to worry about having to do it again the next day and all that product again. I used to redo my hair, and now I just keep it for the two days and sacrifice the quality sleep LOL. Even without the hair, I may not sleep well the night before anyway, so I probably won't be losing out on much LOL!!!

I have a silk headscarf that I wrap my head in so the tiny fibers of the pillowcase won't pull at my hair. Or you can get a satin pillowcase. I've tried wrapping my head in toilet paper which is another common suggestion but usually I just end up looking like a shredded up mummy without much toilet paper actually left on my head.

I think one of the keys to making it last is having a 'good' hairdo to start (making sure it's pulled tight and secured well) and getting in enough product so it's nearly helmet-like (most if it anyway... usually some of the more sculpted ornate sections aren't so hard). Usually day two only would require a bit more hairspray again as a touch-up.

The hairstyles that I see never work well for dance (and especially overnight) is the gibson/cottage-loaf hairstyles, where everythign is sort of loose and poufy.

3. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Spray it enough, and it's not going to move. I used Got 2 Be and I've used Silouhette, and I've gotten three days once.

Have it styled up so that you can sleep on it comfortably - so not a low chignon on your neck, or if you sleep on your side, have it styled on your crown so that you will be able to.

4. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Agree that you need to plan your hairstyle - it needs to be super secure, and works best if you have it styled to let you sleep your preferred way (so for me, a smooth right side).

A silk scarf is one option, but I've actually found the satin sleep bonnets designed for African-American hair to be way more comfortable - there's no knot, and they stay put.

My latest new discovery - travel pillows. Like the kind for airplane. You can position the hole around your hair and get a great, comfortable sleep :)

5. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

Oohhh good idea with the travel pillow!!

debmc and FancyFeet like this.
  6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I felt like a genius when I figured it out. I had the best nap I have ever had in comp hair and make-up.

I highly recommend the filled (rather than inflatable) ones. I got mine at the dollar store. Best $3 I ever spent.

SwayWithMe and Sania like this.