Salsa > How to know whether a guy can really dance...

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Gentemer, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Gentemer

Gentemer New Member

In another thread this question came up.
    http://www.dance-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=118802#118802
    It is not the question whether a guy can dance very well, but whether he can dance at all, and is not merely looking for a chance to grope.

So, what is the one question a girl can use to test (before the dance itself!) whether a guy is not simply pretending that he can dance.

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

See the guy dancing?

3. Gentemer

Gentemer New Member

Ah, I get it.
    The girls should ask: please do some shines, and if you pass the exam I will dance with you :p

4. squirrel

squirrel New Member

If he's a newbie in the scene (not necessarily a newbie to dance though) then I'd say yes!

This is how I danced with one very good dancer from Toronto! He's Romanian (and we were supposed to meet in Bucharest during his trip to visit his parents) but he misplaced my phone no. So he went to the local club hoping to get a dance... and maybe meet me (he knew me by my photos on my site). He saw me and invited me to dance on a merengue! I politely said no, as I was on my way to the rest rooms... next time he came on another merengue... and I said yes! :) This is how I actually met him!

5. Gentemer

Gentemer New Member

Eh... yes, but how to distinguish a sincere new-be from a not-be or an other-motivations-be?

6. heartgrl2k

heartgrl2k New Member

I don't know if there is a question you could ask to find that out. (Besides, most people either under or over exaggerate when asked about their own dancing.)

One dance with him though should be pretty revealing. Then you can politely refuse him in the future.

Or ask other women if they have enjoyed dancing with him or not. We women can stand together against the gropers!! :D

7. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I don't really care what he wants! If he is into "groping" I punch him! If he's more discreet but still into groping I have my ways of keeping him at a distance. If he is looking for a dance... then I am ready!

8. Lockstep

Lockstep New Member

besides...the risk is only fair...guy doesnt know whether the gal can dance either does he? although i admit that the 'roaming hands' syndrome is more of a male thing...although i've seen some girls go wild for some of the latin males in my clubs, making me wonder about their motivation too....

9. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

Woohoo! Squirrel you're tough! All ladies should learn from you! :D

10. tj

tj New Member

Lol! You go girl! :applause:

I do feel for you ladies... having to put up with crap like this.

Do understand that for us guys... when you're in a big scene, and don't know anyone, it's tough for us at first, too.

11. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

No question. Asking rarely helps. Observation is the answer. Watch the floor when you are not dancing. Also, watch whose company these guys are in on and off the floor. I can usually tell who can dance, who can't dance but is interested in learning, and who can't dance and NOT interested in learning. The third group I avoid.

Of course, I have come across guys who can dance but are also into groping... :evil:

12. brujo

brujo New Member

Look at his shoes.

Rubber soles = bad.
    Leather soles / dance sneakers / jazz shoes = good

Most 'advanced' dancers in our neck of the woods wear jazz shoes. It's not a 100% accurate, scientific measure. But chances are that if he has invested in a good pair of shoes, he is there to dance.

13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Good tip. A lot of people won't dance with anybody new (guy or girl) if they're not wearing dance shoes.

Nice to see you, btw. :D

14. meagalita

meagalita New Member

for me, this question is not something i worry about when asked by a guy i don't know or haven't seen dance. one thing too; i know many really great dancers who *don't* wear dance shoes to the clubs. as far as i'm concerned, i will say yes at least once to anyone who asks as long as they are not wasted drunk, or if i'm way too tired in which case i'll ask them to catch me on the next one, or find them later. just don't worry about someone's abilities, and if the concern is, do they want to just "grope", then walk off the floor if that happens, no biggie :)

15. amrimi

amrimi New Member

I had thought about that before. The problem is in my scene mostly only the women wear dance shoes.

16. brujo

brujo New Member

Shoes is just an example, but there are others. For example, I don't wear watches, bracelets, rings or necklaces because they might get caught in hair or dropped. Amount of hairgel - hard to do combovers, cuban style ducks.

Look at clothing, some advanced dancers dress really sloppy / for comfort since they go out every night. Amount of cologne. Earrings. Posture. Perspiration. Beer bellies. Groupies. Slapmarks on the cheeks.

17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol:

18. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

:lol: :lol: Good one!

19. amrimi

amrimi New Member

The good ons or the bad ones?

20. luh

luh Active Member

lol @slap marks!
    well if you just wanna dance with good ones, - sounds snobbish to me. I think it's pretty weird if you ask someoneif he can dance too. I would feel pretty bad, and probably refuse the dance, just because it doesn't look to me if the one is going for a good dance. i also feel pressured, and i hate that too. if you can wait a song, look what he does, but _never_ ask if can dance, worst you can do. having fun is important, having fun on a high dance level is better, but just because your partner is on a high level doesn't mean it's gonna be fun.
    I'm always on the dancefloor to have fun, to try new things out, and maybe get ppl to know (*think* - all my friends are more less from the dance club), but not proffesionality or something like that..
    luh