Salsa > How to know whether a guy can really dance...

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Gentemer, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

When the heavens open and the Lord looks upon me with favor. :wink: :) IT has been a long time snce we last saw you here on DF JS! And I have seen Dirty Dancing 2. Not a bad movie. :p :)

2. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

:shock: did you just say cute??? :shock:

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

If you have the right merengue it can be very cute, flirtatious, sexy... Then you have the 1-2-3-4 merengues which are fast and there is absolutely nothing in the music...

4. Kindra

Kindra New Member

I have to say I really enjoy listening to most merengue....and every now and then I enjoy dancing a merengue, but it definitely isn't very entertaining to watch.

5. tj

tj New Member

There're a couple guys in Denver who are lots of fun to watch!

A really good dancer can make any style of dance entertaining, IMHO. They each have their own favs.

6. Kindra

Kindra New Member

I agree with you 100%..I should have said this a little clearer...more like this...

"IMHO, it definitely isn't very entertaining to watch..unless danced by great dancers that can add depth, diversity, style and enthusiasm" :lol: :wink:

7. tj

tj New Member

And I will add that none of the locals here in DC have caught my eye during the few times that merengues have been played.

What's odd is how very little merengue (and no bachata) is played around here.

8. Sabor

Sabor New Member

u gotta be kidding me :lol: .. it made me sleep almost instanteneously :lol: .. when i woke up .. i thought i had a nightmare :lol:

9. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol: I thought it was ok. But not worthy of the title. And not worthy of a trip to the theater. I rented.

10. Beto

Beto Active Member

They have to be joking. If you're a ballroom dancer, you would've been offended by the film. If you're a salsa dancer, you would've been offended as well. They attempted to mix the different styles in such a way that no self-respecting dancer would ever attempt in real life.

Personally, I consider it the Worst.Movie.Ever.

Hard to believe a dance instructor choreographed the actors! :shock: :roll:

11. Kindra

Kindra New Member

Wasn't a huge fan myself....but there were some entertaining moments I guess.

12. Beto

Beto Active Member

Hmm, maybe any of the beginning scenes and any scenes that didn't involve dancing. Well, actually, I take that back. In the very beginning of the film one of the main characters is doing some folkloric dancing in the street (choreographed by Jorge Santana, one of the better known and respected Puerto Rican dancers).

13. Kindra

Kindra New Member

For someone who HATED the movie so much...you sure remember an aweful lot about it!! How many times did you watch it??? :lol: :lol: :wink:

14. Beto

Beto Active Member

Once. The sad thing is, I'll never get those minutes of my life back. :cry:

Is the first Dirty Dancing better? I haven't seen it. The only other movies I've seen that had decent (or realistic) salsa dancing in them are "Dance With Me" (not so much Chayanne and Vanessa but everybody else!) and "Along Came Polly"

15. Kindra

Kindra New Member

You've never seen it??? :shock:

Is it better...no. But is it a classic 80's chic flick that I love, yes.
    Dirty Dancing isn't a salsa movie...it has 1 mambo scene in it..which isn't worth much if you ask me. I doubt you will love it if you see it....

It will forever be one of my favorites though..Patrick Swayze was HOT!! :D

I enjoyed both Dance With Me and Along Came Polly....

16. Frodo

Frodo New Member

I thought the story was hopeless, but quite enjoyed the dance and music bits.

I thought the dancing was far better than the original. The original was seemed much more show dancing with aerials and such, which I'm just not interested in.

And Romola Garai is kind of fetching ... :)

17. Medira

Medira New Member

The original Dirty Dancing is one of those corny 80's chick flick movies that you have to see once, just to say that you've done so. The plot isn't the greatest, the dancing is alright, I suppose, but it's one of those things that you just have to do. :p

As for Dirty Dancing 2, again, it was alright. The dancing was better than the first one, but it could have been better still. Like the first, the plot wasn't anything to write home about either.

They're both good as rentals or as bargain bin buys, for those nights when you're just looking for something fluffy to watch.

18. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

I didn't go to see it in a movie theatre......I watched it at work......quality was bad but I really liked the dance scenes and yes...they WERE better than the ones in Dirty Dancing 1 (and Patrick Swayze was and still is hot lol lol)..........DD1 was what made me fall in love with latin dancing by the way (what can I say...I was young and impressionable and didn't know anything else 8) ). Havana Nights to me was good....not the storyline...the dance scenes (which were not that frequent which was sad).

19. Sabor

Sabor New Member

actually.. i was going to shoot my big toe off from resulting depression but got saved in the last second when the pizza delivery rang my bell with my seafood pizza order.. yummy :lol:

20. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Is it in Dirty Dancing that there is a skating exhibition by a girl, and she falls twice, and afterwards her father says something like "You may not be such a great skater, but as for spectacular falling you're second to none." ?
    I just saw this sequence and fell asleep.